Home Cigar 101

RH level vs Temp levels?

Hey fellas i found this article on the web, is this accurate? Since my room temp in my living room is always around 63-69 degrees at the moment w/ Rh @ 65-68. See article below ( copied and paste) I just want to know if below is accurate to follow? How do you determine the correct humidity of my humidor? The standard for cigar storage is 70% relative humidity (“RH”) but only at 70 degree F. At temperatures below 70 degree, Relative Humidity (RH) readings must be greater than 70% to give the same humidification as 70 to 70 degrees. At temperatures above 70 degree, RH readings must be less than 70% for proper results. To find the correct RH: TEMP degree RHrequired 80 49% 79 52% 78 53% 77 55% 76 57% 75 59% 74 61% 73 63% 72 65% 71 68% 70 70% 69 72% 68 75% 67 78% 66 80% 65 83% 64 86% 63 89% 62 92% 61 96% 60 impossible

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I've seen this a number of times but still don't know what to make of it. My humi sits in a wine fridge at 65 degrees and roughly 69% humidity and my cigars are just the way I like them.
  • AQUADGIO1200:
    Hey fellas i found this article on the web, is this accurate? Since my room temp in my living room is always around 63-69 degrees at the moment w/ Rh @ 65-68. See article below ( copied and paste) I just want to know if below is accurate to follow? How do you determine the correct humidity of my humidor? The standard for cigar storage is 70% relative humidity (“RH”) but only at 70 degree F. At temperatures below 70 degree, Relative Humidity (RH) readings must be greater than 70% to give the same humidification as 70 to 70 degrees. At temperatures above 70 degree, RH readings must be less than 70% for proper results. To find the correct RH: TEMP degree RHrequired 80 49% 79 52% 78 53% 77 55% 76 57% 75 59% 74 61% 73 63% 72 65% 71 68% 70 70% 69 72% 68 75% 67 78% 66 80% 65 83% 64 86% 63 89% 62 92% 61 96% 60 impossible
    Were did you find this article at?
  • Here is the link to the article: http://www.tobaccoparadise.com/humidors.htm
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    madurofan:
    I've seen this a number of times but still don't know what to make of it. My humi sits in a wine fridge at 65 degrees and roughly 69% humidity and my cigars are just the way I like them.
    Yep.. that's yer answer. Just fiddle with it and see what works best for you. I've found that keeping them around 63-65% in the summer works nicely, and around 69-71% in the winter has been working well. I noticed that with the dry air this winter my cigars go up in smoke a lot faster. They seemed to be smoking a tad on the dry side, so I bumped it up a bit (using 70% beads instead of all 65%), and it fixed the problem nicely.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    whoa, slow down. RH can be a preference also. RH of 70 or more can be too wet for a lot of cigars, some cigars smoke and age better at a little lower RH. (I've been advised from a rep that Olivas/Nic tobacco smoke better at 62%) Also, depending on the time of year a home can be 65 to 75 degrees that is why you should put your humi in a closet or a basement corner so it's temp won't vary as much. On top of that temp increase can cause RH to go up on its own, it doesn't matter what you do.

Now, most on here will tell you to use beads, usually 65% beads but you can get them at 70% too. 65%RH is Probably your best bet and if you store the humi properly you won't have much of a need for the temp. IMHO...
  • tankbonniestankbonnies Posts: 191
    Guys...I'm still having problems with my Temp level in my humi. I just bought a niew digital hyrometer last week and the temp still reads 39degrees. The RH is the same...69. The humidor stays in my bedroom, main level of house and the temp in the house is 67degrees. Cigars smoke fine. I have no clue why the temp is so low....
    Do you have it close to a really drafty window?

Have you, in your temperature panic, placed this thing on a heater or something? Maybe it's reading 39 C :) Do your cigars spontaneously combust?
    Its on a dresser, the opposite side of a window....It really makes no sense....Cigars smoke fine....I originally thought it was the hygrometer...
    There is no logical explanation for this whatsoever... are you sure you're reading rH and Temp correctly (not temp and rH)? If they're smoking fine, a 39 rH would obviously not be right, either. I've never seen a variance in digital thermometers greater than 1 degree, let alone 30.... and I've got a half dozen digital thermometers around to compare. If the area is not near a vent or poorly sealed window, I can't think of an explanation. Do the cigars feel cold? 39 is a refrigeration temperature, and it would definitely feel cold to the touch if it were really that low, which I doubt. How are you measuring the temperature for the rest of the room? Did you try putting your old hygrometer somewhere else to take temp readings?
    I haven't tried taking the hygro out and leaving it in the room to test the temp...i'll try that tonight....I hear yah..makes no sense...cigars are definitely not cold. I left both digital hygros in there and they both measure the same temp...go figure....
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if there is something electronic nearby that could be distorting the readings. If it still reads crazy outside of the humi take it to work with you and set it on your desk and see what happens.
    Good idea...I might move it to the closet tonight and leave for a few days also......
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    it is not possible for a humidor to decrease the temperature below the ambient room temp. it does insulate a bit so temp changes in a room are a little spread out more, but unless you got some kind of crazy phase change evaporation thing going on the readings are wrong. you say you have 2 digi hygro/thermometers that both read the same temp, 39 degrees? are they a different manufacturer? take one and put in in a cardboard box, see if it does the same thing. maybe its also made to be a light sensor but that part was disabled, and its **** things up. or maybe you have a hygrometer that malfunctions in around 60% humidity.

as for the guide you posted about the humidity needing to go up as temp goes down, what a crock of ***. maybe REAL humidity according to a scientist, but in real life, humidity as far as a cigar smoker is concerned is the same at 60 degrees as it is at 70. do a little experiment, put your cigars at 61 degrees and 96% humidity, then watch how fast the mold grows.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Are you, perchance, storing a small Bose-Einstein Condensate in your humi?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    dutyje:
    I noticed that with the dry air this winter my cigars go up in smoke a lot faster. They seemed to be smoking a tad on the dry side, so I bumped it up a bit (using 70% beads instead of all 65%), and it fixed the problem nicely.
    I recently noticed the same thing, and responded the same way.