Home Cigar 101

why the "sour patch"?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
This has happened a few times, on different sticks.
(Just happened on a R&J Viejo of all things!)
I'll fire it up, and somewhere down the line, I'll hit a patch of the cigar that:
tastes funky
burns crappy (canoeing, tunnels, etc.)
doesn't product smoke, etc.

Most times this "crappy section" is about an inch, sometimes two inches.
But I hang in there, touch it up, and then magically it returns to being a normal, wonderful stick.
I have noticed that almost every time this happens, there is a real "soft" spot where all this crappy smoking is going on.

Is that what it is? A soft spot, as in not enough tobacco?
Or, are there other factors (bad roll, improperly bunched/mixed tobacco, a moist patch?)

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    I'll fire it up, and somewhere down the line, I'll hit a patch of the cigar that:
    tastes funky

But I hang in there, touch it up, and then magically it returns to being a normal, wonderful stick.
    I have noticed that almost every time this happens, there is a real "soft" spot where all this crappy smoking is going on.

Or, are there other factors (bad roll, improperly bunched/mixed tobacco, a moist patch?)

I've noticed that too, Wolf, and almost without fail there's a soft spot. I'll bet Kuzi or one of the other BORKs can tell us what's going on with this.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    tastes funky

and the ones that have a hard spot ( plug ) and after you finally get thru it its usaully ok , sounds sorta like you talkin about?
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    it has to to do with the bunch or how it is bound. either way, it was wrong and shouldnt get past quality control. but sometimes they do.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew Kuzi could tell us. PM to ya, Horst.....
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I've noticed that if I have a stick that suddenly stars acting up in the middle (tunneling, crooked burn, plugging, etc.), I often find a sizable stem in the ash after it passes this part. I usually try to burn through it and then get the burn rate back down once is clears up. Soft spots are almost always construction problems.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    i love all the info I get in this place. I was just wondering this