Home Cigar 101
Options

Cigar care

I have 2 questions about caring for cigars:
1) I bought a pack of 3 pre-embargo camacho cigars. they arrived in a box with plastic wrap around it. is this as good as a humidor or should i take the cigars out the box and put them in my humidor?
2) when i buy cigars that come in a plastic sleeve in general should i place them in the humidor with the sleeve on them still or should i take them out of the sleeve?
thanks

Comments

• Options
    If it were me, I'd take the pre-embargo's out of the plastic wrap and put them in the humi still in their box. As far as the cellophane...if sticks ship with it on then I leave it, if they ship without then I just put them at the bottom of my humi so they dont get shuffled around.

The cellophane breathes air in/out so humidity can still reach your sticks without a problem, it also decreases the chance of damaging the wrapper when your shuffling around your humi for a smoke. Just my .02 , but Ill tell you theres no real right/wrong on the cello question.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AJGARLETT:
    If it were me, I'd take the pre-embargo's out of the plastic wrap and put them in the humi still in their box. As far as the cellophane...if sticks ship with it on then I leave it, if they ship without then I just put them at the bottom of my humi so they dont get shuffled around.

The cellophane breathes air in/out so humidity can still reach your sticks without a problem, it also decreases the chance of damaging the wrapper when your shuffling around your humi for a smoke. Just my .02 , but Ill tell you theres no real right/wrong on the cello question.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    one serious consideration that you should take into account when deciding about the entire "cellophane on or off?" question is the search feature....

but seriously folks....

plastic around a cigar is not a humidor. only a humidor is a humidor.

(...unless its a tupperdore, or fridgidor, or coolerdore... )

cellophane on or off (while in the humidor)?
    it doesnt matter one lick.
    its all personal taste.

the 9 o'clock show is completely different than the 7 o'clock. come and see me again real soon.

• Options
    Bubba3650Bubba3650 Posts: 84
    Glad to see that I am able to find answers to the questions I have out here in the forums.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bubba3650:
    Glad to see that I am able to find answers to the questions I have out here in the forums.
    Pretty much any question a person could have about cigars is here somewhere.
  • Options
    Definitely too moist. If the containers are air tight you will only need to add water every couple of weeks at most. Order a digital hygrometer and calibrate it using a Boveda Test Kit. Hawaii's relative humidity is fairly constant year round, so you really shouldn't need to worry too much about Rh. I would order some beads from Heartfelt Industries(Dave ships to servicemen for free!), they require much less maintenance than PG solution. :2
  • Options
    Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I agree with everyone that it really is your choice. However, I have always taken the wrapper off or out of their boxes because I think they rest better in the humi. The wrapper is really for protection but it does allow the cigar to breath. The only thing is of you take them out of the boxes or wrappers you do not store your cigars mixed. You keep them divided, they have oils that can change a cigar that it may be mixed with over time. I am an organizer and keep them divided by brand and strength.