Home Cigar 101

Choosing and sending cigars to a friend deployed oversees

My friend is deployed and smokes cigars; I want to send him a sampler of about 10 cigars. I know nothing about cigars or his preferences.

The big long and fat ones would seem better to me (yeah,yeah,ha,ha) because you smoke longer and they are more substantial. I was thinking medium, because how could you go wrong there...in fact, I was sort of thinking of the cigars along the lines of choosing coffee.

He is on a US base in the United Arab Emirates; I don't know what conditions the cigars need to be kept in or how they will do being shipped.

I would like to spend about $50 including shipping and was thinking about getting one of those cool humidors that are plastic and water tight and putting the cigars in there, but then I thought maybe I should skip the cool box and put the money into the cigars.

I was also debating having them shipped directly from the internet cigar retailer (much easier and my preference) but I figure the odds of a box with "cigars" on it actually arriving intact to a base ( much less a specific person) in the Middle East are slim.

Thanks for your advice.

Gina

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just keep watching this post. There's lots of servicemen here that know all the in's and out's of sending cigars to our boys.
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    I live on a ship and I've received my cigars from CCOM in good condition. I get them in about 1 week depending on when mail comes in. I haven't had an issue yet.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    You can make it happen Gina!! I'm active duty and hope this scoop helps.

As long as you have a good address for him, Ccom and ship them straight to him for ya! Just use his address in the shipping address.

Here at Ccom is the best place to buy cigars from because they ship with humi-pillows to keep them fresh. I can't express the importance of this. Other retailers do not do this! I only buy from Ccom while shipped abroad! If a package moves slow or gets stuck in transit due to weather, having a humidity source in there with the cigars is crucial.

On cigar choices, can you talk to him? All you have to do is find out what he has smoked recently that he really enjoyed. You can always play it more and ask him what he likes about cigars cause you just don't understand. Then the group here can help steer you in the right direction for some superb cigar choices. If you can't talk to him, then I'd suggest sticking to the middle of the road with the 20-11 Ultimate Variety Sampler. Its a little more than the $50 but its a sure knock out. Plus...if he is more medium to full guy, he could offer a friend the mild stick and have someone to sit with. Your name would surely be praised over those cigars!
  • gcvgcv Posts: 4
    After much perusing of the website, I seem to be attached to the idea of sending a box of 5 Vegas Relic for sharing and the upgrade sampler for variety. That damn wood box is really sexy. Not a good way to choose cigars, I am sure.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    gcv:
    After much perusing of the website, I seem to be attached to the idea of sending a box of 5 Vegas Relic for sharing and the upgrade sampler for variety. That damn wood box is really sexy. Not a good way to choose cigars, I am sure.
    Befor you purchase I would recommend following FTG's Recommendation of calling Tim, while talking to him you can discuss what type of cigars if any these guys usually smoke, He will be able to give you some more Ideas and probably some great deals too. Im sure whichever cigars you decide to send will be truly appreciated!!!
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    gcv:
    ////// As a retired Serviceman still working in Kuwait as a contractor, here's my advice: Don't buy based on the way the box looks. One of the previous posters hit it on the head in that if you can talk to your friend to see what he previously smoked, that would help steer you in the right direction. Failing that, I would recommend a mild-medium or medium-full sampler. Also, you may want to find out if he has a humidor and what capacity it is. Nothing worse than getting a bunch of cigars and nowhere to keep them, although Tupperware works in a pinch. Hope this helps.
    Steve2010:
    gcv:
    ////// As a retired Serviceman still working in Kuwait as a contractor, here's my advice: Don't buy based on the way the box looks. One of the previous posters hit it on the head in that if you can talk to your friend to see what he previously smoked, that would help steer you in the right direction. Failing that, I would recommend a mild-medium or medium-full sampler. Also, you may want to find out if he has a humidor and what capacity it is. Nothing worse than getting a bunch of cigars and nowhere to keep them, although Tupperware works in a pinch. Hope this helps.
    Agreed try to find out what kind of cigars he usually smokes and go from there. The Relic is one of those love/hate brands, you either love them or hate them. And most people seem to fall in the later category.Personally I would recomend the 24 count house blend sampler guarantee he will love half and at least like the other half.And have plenty to share while keeping his faves for himself.
    BTW He is gonna love you for this and his bros are to.