Home Cigar 101

Meerschaum Cigar holder..........

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
Anyone ever use one?
I'm seriously thinking about getting one or two of these for winter smoking, and "I only got 30 minutes" smoking.
There are times, when I just want a quick smoke, and I don't have an hour.
(I'm not a fan of cigarillos, skinny short cigars, etc.)

So I started thinking.......
What about cigar holder?......they were quite common back in the day.
With one of these, I could cut a GH 2002 in half, put it into the cigar holder, and have a nice 25- 30 minute smoke, and be able to smoke that sucker down further than if I tried to "nub" it with fingers - in other words, I'd get two decent smoking sessions out of one Robusto.
Any botls with experience here?

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Yep. They work just as well as you'd think they would. Another thing I like is no tar buildup on the lips. One tip though, you'll want to be sure the cigar is firmly seated in the holder, to achieve this I had the best luck with wetting the head down pretty good and gently working it in with a wiggle-like motion.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varying ring gauges would require multiple holders, no? Then, too, one manufactures's 50-ring isn't always the same as another manufacturer's. I'd love the idea if one size truly did fit all.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    Anyone ever use one?
    I'm seriously thinking about getting one or two of these for winter smoking, and "I only got 30 minutes" smoking.
    There are times, when I just want a quick smoke, and I don't have an hour.
    (I'm not a fan of cigarillos, skinny short cigars, etc.)

So I started thinking.......
    What about cigar holder?......they were quite common back in the day.
    With one of these, I could cut a GH 2002 in half, put it into the cigar holder, and have a nice 25- 30 minute smoke, and be able to smoke that sucker down further than if I tried to "nub" it with fingers - in other words, I'd get two decent smoking sessions out of one Robusto.
    Any botls with experience here?

If you try it I'd love to know how it works out for you. I don't much care for the little cigars either. They just don't feel right
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Varying ring gauges would require multiple holders, no? Then, too, one manufactures's 50-ring isn't always the same as another manufacturer's. I'd love the idea if one size truly did fit all.
    This is true. There are in fact a few outfits that sell a 5 holder set, to cover 5 different sizes (most cigars will fit into one of those 5).
    They're not cheap - $100+ or so for the 5 piece, $30+ a pop for singles.
    The key is to be sure to get "block" meerschaum, not the compressed/fabricated crap, and I'm contacting various outfits to be sure "what's what."

My strategy I think will be this......since I'm using this for a "quick" smoke, I won't be smoking one of my better sticks anyways...........and a vast majority of my "daily" smokes are Robustos..........so I'll proaby just get one for daily Robusto smokes.

If I really fall in love with the feel/flavor/experience of the holder (like some botl do according to what I have discovered thus far) - well then I'll spring for a 5 piece set.......... and then I'll probably start collecting cigar holders too.................heh!

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    j0z3r:
    I had the best luck with wetting the head down pretty good and gently working it in with a wiggle-like motion.
    Can we get some video of this posted Joe? LMAOOOOOOOOO!!! ;-)

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    The Sniper:
    j0z3r:
    I had the best luck with wetting the head down pretty good and gently working it in with a wiggle-like motion.
    Can we get some video of this posted Joe? LMAOOOOOOOOO!!! ;-)

Yeah yeah, wiseguy. I tried to think of another way to phrase it, but it just sounded dirty any way I could think of. Good to know where your mind is at though Glen. Wink [;)]