Home Cigar 101

Lighters

Just to let everyone know bring two lighters to parties where kids need a light for their sparklers. Those things destroyed one of my lighters!

Comments

• TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    While on the subject of lighters what do most of you go with. Is it worth it to go with a name brand more pricey lighter?
  • MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    I have a Xikar, a Nibo, and a pen torch. At home the pen troch is used the most. It has a torch and soft flame. This is my go to when camping as it first in the herfador and only takes up the space of one stick. It is less then $6 shiped for china. This thing has never failed me. I use my Nibo triple flame as well.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I need a lighter, trying to light a cigar on a windy day with a match only causes frustration.
    and burnt fingers. lol
    One God, One Truth
  • My local B&M wanted me to light my cigar with this today. I was amazed how well it worked. A perfect light. It's like a mini stove top. I wanted to get one, but they were sold out.

Photobucket

• MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    howtobass:
    My local B&M wanted me to light my cigar with this today. I was amazed how well it worked. A perfect light. It's like a mini stove top. I wanted to get one, but they were sold out.

Photobucket

You have a PM Sir

Teege:
    While on the subject of lighters what do most of you go with. Is it worth it to go with a name brand more pricey lighter?
    I have started using the Colibri Reload and I am quite impressed with it.

• JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    MTuccelli:
    Teege:

+1 to this. All the Colibri lighters I have run into are great. The Reload I have (because of Mike) works like a champ.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    JSaint:
    MTuccelli:
    Teege:

+1 to this. All the Colibri lighters I have run into are great. The Reload I have (because of Mike) works like a champ.
    I have had issues out of every Colibri I've had (admittitdly only 3, though) after they get more than 6 months of use on them. I know how to use/clean/maintain lights properly, but for some reason, Colibris give me fits... AND if you don't have the original receipt, they won't honor their "lifetime warranty"... even if you have registered the warranty and everything!

that being said, I hear that the reload is a great lighter (as long as you can afford the refil packs...), and it's the only lighter besides an extremely expensive St. Dupont that has that kind of technology.

I say it's a must to have a good reliable torch on hand at all times (mainly for touch ups), and also recommend that everybody keep a good refilable soft flame on hand as well... but remember, in a pinch, a $1.09 BIC is as reliable as pretty much anything, and will light 10+ cigars before it runs out... just sayin. It's not a bad idea to throw one in your herf-a-dor... I promise you that you will use it at least once every 6 months...
    BigT06:
    I hear that the reload is a great lighter (as long as you can afford the refil packs...), and it's the only lighter besides an extremely expensive St. Dupont that has that kind of technology.
    You can get a pack of 3 reload refill tanks for $6.50 plus when you get the lighter it comes loaded with one and a spare. I agree about the BIC, I have a few scattered around the house and they work just as well.

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    MTuccelli:
    BigT06:
    I hear that the reload is a great lighter (as long as you can afford the refil packs...), and it's the only lighter besides an extremely expensive St. Dupont that has that kind of technology.
    You can get a pack of 3 reload refill tanks for $6.50 plus when you get the lighter it comes loaded with one and a spare. I agree about the BIC, I have a few scattered around the house and they work just as well.

How many lights do you usually get out of each refil tank?
    BigT06:
    MTuccelli:
    BigT06:

How many lights do you usually get out of each refil tank?
    So far 2, I haven't smoked much this month since I have been sick. Still plenty of fuel in the tank

• gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Teege:
    I bought a semi expensive Bugatti B1 and it doest work for crap. Ive tried everything it just wont hold a flame for more than a second ot two. If anyone thinks they can fix it Id be happy to give it away. Just got a cheap 12 dollar jetline triple and it works perfect.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Xikar. and make sure to use Xikar Fuel as well.
    kuzi16:
    Plus 1 to this. Xikar fuel is all Ive ever used which is why I cant figure out whats wrong with my Buggati B1.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I've purchased several of these "torch" lighters and have the same problems with all of them. They need cleaning to operate correctly, and they sometimes result in an uneven light. I'll no longer use one the single torch lighter because the flame is too concentrated. Oh, and don't hit the side of the stick or you'll burn a hole in it. I have used someone's triple torch lighter and it was definitely an improvement. A soft flame BIC can cover most of the foot and light the cigar. That's what I use. Now the snobs can correct me for my failures.
    beatnic:
    I've purchased several of these "torch" lighters and have the same problems with all of them. They need cleaning to operate correctly, and they sometimes result in an uneven light. I'll no longer use one the single torch lighter because the flame is too concentrated. Oh, and don't hit the side of the stick or you'll burn a hole in it. I have used someone's triple torch lighter and it was definitely an improvement. A soft flame BIC can cover most of the foot and light the cigar. That's what I use. Now the snobs can correct me for my failures.
    I like a soft flame as well takes longer but works well. Maybe its my imagination but bics seem to leave a funny taste.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    gaberox:
    kuzi16:
    Plus 1 to this. Xikar fuel is all Ive ever used which is why I cant figure out whats wrong with my Buggati B1.
    I would try turning up the fuel gauge all the way up. Mine will work for the first quarter or so of tank a turned down a bit but after that unless its set to afterburner (all the way up toward the +) it will only light for less than a second. Hope this works for you.