Home Cigar 101

retrohale

asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
I just can't get the knack for it! I can do it occasionally, but never on purpose. I've read up, and watched the video on it, but just can't get the hang of it. Is there some great secret? Or practice makes perfect?

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Breathe in your mouth and out your nose... now put the cigar in your mouth and do the same. And yes... practice makes perfect.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    asianbiker8:
    I just can't get the knack for it! I can do it occasionally, but never on purpose. I've read up, and watched the video on it, but just can't get the hang of it. Is there some great secret? Or practice makes perfect?
    I wrote this before somewhere - but can't find it.
    Take a deep breath and hold it BEFORE you puff the cigar.
    As soon as you have taken that deep breath, take a medium sized puff....your mouth should be a bit "puffy" cause your holding smoke in it.
    Now exhale steadily from your NOSE while collapsing the volume of your mouth using your cheeks and tongue (keep your mouth shut.)
    BEFORE you run out of air, open your mouth and blow the rest of the smoke out of your mouth so there's no smoke in there when you take your next breath.
    That's the best I can do to explain how to do it..............practice........it does make cigars more enjoyable imho.

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    It took me a LOT of practice before I finally got it down pat. It can be frustrating, but keep trying - believe me, once you get it down its going to open up a WHOLE new world of flavor profiles to you.

• Funny thing is for me, I've grown up with such horrible allergies that my sinuses have already been beaten up. So retrohaling was easy for me ha. But like anything else, practice makes perfect.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I was 'retrohaling' before I ever knew there was a name for it, lol. The best way that I can explain how to practice is this: without a cigar, breath in and then breath out with your mouth mostly closed and let some of that air out your nose. You will be breathing out of your nose AND your mouth at the same time.
    When you puff a cigar, make sure you have air in your lungs first and then breath out the same way, with your mouth mostly closed so that air is also forced out your nose. Once you have that down, do as suggested already in this thread and force the area in your mouth smaller with cheeks and tongue compressing that space while you breath out. This forces the smoke to the back of your mouth and now it has to come out your nose.

Try to balance this so a little smoke hits your nose or it may be harsh on the nose. It does take practice, but you will get a much better smoking experience once you get the hang of it.

• jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I have been trying this too. I try to stick with the last bit of smoke on the exhale. When i was started off trying it, I did the inital exhale as the retrohale and it burned horribly! If I direct the last little bits thru, its much more enjoyable and I can see how the smell and flavors marry up. Its a whole new level of smell/flavors! It def changed up my game.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Swallow, then exhale through your nose. Just a little bit though. Many cigars are gonna give you too must heat through the nose to retrohale an entire draw.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned how to do it back in my cigarette smoking days but when I quit I got out of practice but it was easy to remember. Still every once in a while I get a lungfull.