Home Cigar 101

Small inexspensive Humidor

Bubba3650Bubba3650 Posts: 84
Hello,

New to the forums and smoking cigars thanks to deej, he says I should break down and buy a cooler and make a coolidor like he did.  Considering I have next to no cigars... OK no cigars at the moment as he is fullfilling my smoking needs haha!  What would you recommend for a small humidor in the 15-25 dollar range?

Comments

• jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bubba3650:
    Hello,

New to the forums and smoking cigars thanks to deej, he says I should break down and buy a cooler and make a coolidor like he did.  Considering I have next to no cigars... OK no cigars at the moment as he is fullfilling my smoking needs haha!  What would you recommend for a small humidor in the 15-25 dollar range?
    email the beard and see what kind of deal he can give you , maybe with some cigars added >tblythe@cigar.com
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Bubba3650:
    Hello,

If you are going to stay for a while, don't buy a 20ct. Go bigger or go tupperdor. If you are here for the weekend, go 20ct. I have used big 150ct tpperware perfectly. Just a thought.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    $19.88 - Island Breeze 48qt cooler - Wal-Mart
  • Bubba3650Bubba3650 Posts: 84
    Thank you for the ideas. Staying for awhile. I will definitely look into the tupperware.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Bubba3650:
    Hello,

you will not be happy with this i assure you. there is never enough room in anybody's humidor no matter what. you will always want more.
    i have about 500 cigars and it isnt enough.

ive posted this before and im sure ill post it again:

If you are looking for a 20 count because you are "just starting out" and "dont need that many" then go with a 50 count.
    if you are looking for a 50 count because you want to be able to buy a box, then go with a 300ct.
    if you are looking for a 150ct because you will "never need than many cigars" then buy a 1200ct.
    if you are looking for a 1000ct because it will be a good end table, buy a 5,000ct cabinet.
    if you are looking for a cabinet, just build a walk in.
    if you are looking to build a walk in, just buy yourself your own shop.
    if you already have your own shop, quit your ****!!

• deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    BigT06:
    $19.88 - Island Breeze 48qt cooler - Wal-Mart
    thats what I told him, cooler all the way. But I also didnt think I would need one starting out either.....
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    Go big!! I would recommend a 50-150 ct. A cooler will be a must in short order. Please don't do what I did. Three 20 cts later I finally went with the cooler. And I still needed more room at one point.

Rob
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone starts out thinking all they need is a small humi since they only smoke the occasional cigar and they'll probably never get it full. But once you start getting into all the different brands and styles. You soon realize you don't have enough storage.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Here is my $0.02...if your serious about smoking cigars, don't waste you 15-25 buck. I'd recommend at least 50ct box to get you started, then straight to a coolidor or large humidor. The 50ct will get you into the game and let you store over a month of smokes (if you smoke every day) while you figure your pallat out and see what cigars you really enjoy. If you drop out, then the price of the 50ct won't hurt. When the time comes, you'll know if you need a bigger humidor. We won't have to tell you, you'll have the itis and clicking the left button on the mouse becomes the addiction. Welcome to the forums! Lots of good info and guys here!
    jr_p951:
    Here is my $0.02...if your serious about smoking cigars, don't waste you 15-25 buck. I'd recommend at least 50ct box to get you started, then straight to a coolidor or large humidor. The 50ct will get you into the game and let you store over a month of smokes (if you smoke every day) while you figure your pallat out and see what cigars you really enjoy. If you drop out, then the price of the 50ct won't hurt. When the time comes, you'll know if you need a bigger humidor. We won't have to tell you, you'll have the itis and clicking the left button on the mouse becomes the addiction. Welcome to the forums! Lots of good info and guys here!
    Cool - Thank you for the info. Looking at a 200 ct for $50 to start off. I do not want to go too big too fast just in case.
  • browse around on craigslist. Just last week there was a coolidor on the northern virginia craigslist. I was able to find a very nice 150ct humi on craiglist for $35. Got lucky , it was full of some very tasty turds I was able to launch at people here.
    Thank you for all the great advice! My lovely wife has ordered me a 200 ct Humidor from ebay - should be here by next week. I have been reading about 'seasoning', good thing for the forums, I would be so lost when it arrived.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    shoulda gone bigger....

just sayin
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    I operate out of a 150ct humidor and a large cabinet humidor (1500ct). I remember when I started, I bought a 50ct humidor. I remember thinking that it would be plenty. That was in 4 months ago. lol.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    My name is Steve and I'm an addict. But seriously, I'm like a large percentage of the BoTL on here. I started out with one 20 ct. That grew into four 20 cts and a couple of 50's. The warden finally said (I swear!) "I'm tired of all these small humidors all over the place. Quit fiddling around and get a big one" So with that, I got an Indulgence 500 ct. Of course, now that I work in Kuwait, I have two 100s and a couple of Tupperdores here, the warden takes care of the sticks in the 500 while I'm gone.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    go bigger,lol
    I thought that it would be a good start.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    I too bought a 50ct. Thinking this will be enough, im not going to buy much or smoke much. That was in June. I now have 2 20cts, a 50ct and was recently gifted a 150ct that is more then half full now. Next stop for me is a cooler or wineador. So when they say start big or go bigger. They mean it. Lol
    I received my 200 ct humidor today, just in time for my first trade to blow up my mailbox! What a great day.