Home Cigar 101

Boxes, 5Pack, Singles, Samplers? How do you buy ?

jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
Kind of new (3 months or so) and I was wondering what people buy the most. Boxes, 5 packs, singles or what ? I smoke one a day (most days) and I kind of like the variety of different stuff. I have been buying sampler packs looking for something I would buy a box of but so far I like trying new things. I like the Oliva O Maduro, the CCom Brazillian, I kind of liked the 5 Vegas Gold but now I dont like it so much, I liked a Nub Cameroon. If I bought a box I would think I would be kind of bored. What do you guys do ?

Comments

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Here is how I started, whether right or wrong. I started buying samplers until I focused in on a blender, wrapper, country, size that I preferred. Then I proceeded to buy 5packs of those cigars and started to age them to make sure the flavors were what I was looking for. And then I either bought a box or emailed Tim and bought several singles(nearly a box quantity). I would definitely recommend samplers to start but I would also recommend calling Ccom and just talking with one of the reps and tell them what you are looking for and your budget and they are VERY flexible and will recommend a sampler to you or even custom make one for you to try.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    I have kind of settled on Robusto for a size. I also like anything from 5 x 50 to 6 x 60. Actually I like trying all the different sizes too. Not sure what wrapper I like because I have had a few maduros I liked and a few I didnt. The fun for me seems to be trying new things. I started keeping a log book with me as I relax and smoke and take a few notes about what I liked and didnt on each cigar (if I dont do that, a day later I have no idea what I liked or not - getting old I guess)
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    That is a great way to keep track. I use to do that in an excel document where I also kept my current inventory, now that is just too cumbersome with the amount coming and going so frequently. You can always post on the boards too if you like a particular cigar and you want to know 4-5 cigars that are similar, we will try to give you our opinions on that as well
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat and although I've enjoyed cigars for many years now it's been a once in a while type thing. A few months ago I got a nice Rocky Patel humidor and got some different samplers. While I was getting used to smoking more often I really liked the Connecticut wrappers and found Maduros to be a bit overwhelming but now I really like the Maduros and other stuff like Habano. You end up getting to try more things with samplers which is nice but I did find through getting a Nub sampler that had 12 cigars with three each of the four different wrappers that I really liked the Nub Habano so I grabbed a 10 pack of the Nub Plus Habano which are great. Haven't got an entire box of anything yet though because there is so much out there I still want to try first.

Just kind of stumbled onto this site and really enjoying all the great info so decided to join. Hoping to get another sampler or two before the end of the year but freelance stuff has been very slow so we'll see. Definitely saw a couple of the samplers on here that looked great and the Custom sampler option on here is really nice too and you get to hand pick the sticks you want and it's a pretty good price too if you get more than one.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Hi and welcome to the forums. I think you are on the right path... buying samplers and keeping notes is an excellent way to experience all this hobby has to offer while figuring out what you like and dont care for so much. And so many different samplers to choose from too - manufacturer's samplers (where you get to try several different sticks from one maker), wrapper samplers (where you get to try cigars with the same wrapper, but from different samplers... then there are flight samplers too (which let you try out each size of the same cigar to decide which size of it you like the best - and in some cigars it can make a world of difference). My suggestion on the samplers is this - when you hit on a stick that you really enjoy, then focus in on it with samplers from the manufacturer and the wrapper to figure out if its the wrapper you are enjoying, or the manufacturer's style which agrees with you. Once you narrow that down, THEN go with the flight sampler to figure which size of what you enjoy is agreeing with you best and voila! Time to stock up on em.

Now then, when I say stock up I mean buy a fiver initially and you hit on the reason for this in your original post - tried something and loved it, then came back to it and didnt have the same feeling about it. The reasons for this can vary wildly - the guy in the factory who made the second stick may have had an off day, perhaps you smoked the second much closer to receiving it than you did the first one (not letting it rest as long), or your pallete may have changed in between, which DOES happen. Working your way thru a five pack of the same stick in the same size will give you a better idea of whether the love you felt for the first one or the "meh" you felt for the second is the more true opinion.

Once you get that far, then its time to buy a box - and a bigger humidor or a coolidor! I know it seems like a lot, but the joy of discovery you get while working your way thru the sampler packs will benefit you in the long run.

Your thought to keep a journal or diary is an excellent one, particularly when first starting off. That will help you start seeing patterns in what you like in a cigar and what you dont (wrappers, manufacturers, strengths, countries of origin, etc). A short cut for you - if you find yourself getting lazy with that, when you find a cigar you really like, blow in a call to CCom and talk to their sales people. Let them know what it was you nad and what you liked about it, and ask them to put together a five pack of other cigars based on WHAT you liked about it. You can even give them a budget if thats a concern for you as it is for so many of us. The CCom staff is SCARY good at this, and will hook you up seven different ways from Sunday with a sampler pack that is tailored to YOU.

Best of luck to you in your discoveries and ENJOY IT! Its an exciting time in the hobby, first starting out. Stick around here too, best bunch of guys you will ever find are right here on these forums!

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    When I started, I didn't know about this place, I was strictly a B&M buyer. I would walk into the humidor and think, I'm going to spend 20 bucks. I'd pick up only singles and when I found a brand I liked, I would continue with their line and still look for new things.

Always only singles. Then I found catalog companies, I would buy five packs of the proven favorites, and continue to try new singles not knowing or caring about wrappers, or countries of origin, I liked everything for the newness of it.

Then I found this place where I refined my "taste preference", I started with the cigar of the month club, bought samplers, and tried new cigars based on other members comments.

I still try as many new releases as possible but mostly in sampler packages. There are so many cigars that I like, I really don't buy full boxes that much as it commits to much of my smoking dollar to one product, and there are so many great cigars being released in todays market I would rather continue my search for new experiences.

• TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    So far I buy 5 and 10 packs the only full boxes I buy are daily's. I have only been to 3 B&Ms so I dont have alot of experience buying singles. I started here so if we ever lose mail/online service I may just be lost.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I buy cigars the same way now as I have always done it, whatever happens to be on sale. Certainly I have blenders, wrappers, sizes, etc. that I prefer over others but in general I'm always perusing cigar information and constantly adding/tweeking my list of cigars I want to try or resupply.

With this list in mind when a daily deal or some type of sale is offered that coincides with my try/resupply list and I have room in my humi then I pull the trigger. Sometimes it's a variety sampler, sometimes a flight sampler, sometimes a 5 pack or 10 pack. Whatever. I'll buy boxes sometimes but often the per-cigar price on a daily deal is better than any box deal and I don't have to find room for a box.

This way is what works for me because I have a limited budget and I have to make my cigar dollars count. Consequently, I also end up with a diverse humidor but a lot of singles or only a couple/few of things.

The purchasing at B&Ms, for me, is very few and far between. They are so expensive I only go there as a special occasion and when I want to smoke it there, usually to watch a hockey game on t.v.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I really like it when the SprintSale mixes 2 fivers. Trying a cigar once is often not enough to get a good feel for it. If I really like it, I'll just buy the box. Cheaper.
  • spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    Something that is not given enough thought often is the influence of everything else that touches the palate. What you had to eat prior to smoking can change the way a cigar tastes (seafood vs. beef). Having more than one of a particular stick would help so that you could revisit it after a different meal. Also, what you have had to drink or are drinking can significantly change the flavors of the smoke (soda vs. wine vs. beer). If you find a combination that works, keep a note of it (mental or on paper). When you have ones that don't taste that special, note them as well. Other items that will change the experience of the same cigar are retrohaling and inhaling. Five packs alllow for the experimental approach in this regard, as well as being able to age a few (as already mentioned). In any event, enjoy the ride...........
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I tend to buy mostly boxes now. When I was new to it though, I bought lots of singles, samplers, and 5 packs. The deal sites are great for that kind of thing.
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    This is how I like to do it. If I see a Cigar I want to try. I buy a five pack. Once they come in, I let them rest for about a week in the humi. I burn the first and see how it is. I wait a month and burn the second. Six months I burn the third. One year I burn the other two. If you like the Cigar from the start or better a month later or year later then you know you like the Cigar and you buy a box. You let them rest to the time you prefer and they only get better. If you don't like the Cigar you only have five no big loss. One Cigar purchase will never really let you know about the Cigar. Sometimes you may get a bad one in the bunch when really the Cigar is a great Cigar. Hope that helps.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Boxes, 5Pack, Singles, Samplers? . . . . All of the above.

Like everyone else, I started with singles and samplers to try stuff but then moved on to 5 packs and boxes to stock up on what I like. Once you figure out what you like though, you'll be able to read a description of a cigar and have a pretty good idea what your gonna think of a cigar before you smoke it, just based on the blender and tobacco's used.

So now when I want to try something new (usually only try about 5-10% of the new cigars out there) I ususally just get a 5 pack because I'm pretty sure I'll like it enough to have 5 of them. then if I love it I'll put in my "boxes to buy list" for the next time I have some extra funds in the old cigar budget. So the last 5 years or so I've mostly bought 5 packs, 10 packs and boxes, but I still will pick up the occassional sampler but they've more become Beard Special samplers where I tell him what I'm looking for and what I want to spend and let him fill in the blanks. Never once been dissappointed.

Seriously, Cigar.com f'ing rules.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    bigharpoon:

This way is what works for me because I have a limited budget and I have to make my cigar dollars count. Consequently, I also end up with a diverse humidor but a lot of singles or only a couple/few of things.

The purchasing at B&Ms, for me, is very few and far between. They are so expensive I only go there as a special occasion and when I want to smoke it there, usually to watch a hockey game on t.v.

Thanks for all the great info..... and this quote kind of sums up where I am also.

All my cigar dollars have to count. Interesting that a couple of days ago I got a 5 pack of an inexpensive Don Raphael Maduro (Robusto) and had one tonight..... thought it was great for the money.

I will continue my log book and try to add what I was eating and drinking during my mini 2 hour vacation while I am enjoying a new cigar. In the mean time I will continue buying as the buget permits and stick to singles, samplers or 5 packs!

Thanks again for all your help
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I usually jump on 10pks. Only cause I'm space limited. I can only hold about 150 smokes in the winedor and my finances keep me from springing on the box deals. So i try to keep the winedor nice with 10 pks. It lets me enjoy a few, stash a few, then bomb with a few.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still mostly get samplers, there's just too many I want to try. But I have bought one maxi of 20 before and quite a few 5 packs of stuff I was interested in.
  • jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
    Listen to these guys, they know cigars... I'm still new and experimenting and here is what I do....I started with samplers from the cigaraprintsale... I LOVE oliva series 0...I KNOW I like them so on the sprint sale there will be a 10 pack, 5 oliva and 5 of something else..I get a winner either way...get something I like and try something new...get a friend and if u get a couple cigars and u don't like the first, give the other to ur friend...maybe if they like it u can get them intrested in going in with u and splitting costs. I found a few that I like now enough to say I'd buy more...
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    ive just decided that i am only buying boxes from now on (unless its something that i love thats no longer in production)
    im doing this to try to curb my spending.
    i did the math, this last year has been alittle rough on the bank account
  • Bubba3650Bubba3650 Posts: 84
    I am just starting out as well so reading these posts has been very helpful.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    415:
    ive just decided that i am only buying boxes from now on (unless its something that i love thats no longer in production)
    im doing this to try to curb my spending.
    i did the math, this last year has been alittle rough on the bank account
    This is where I have gotten. I am buying a lot less, but when I do it is stuff I know I love, so I buy by the box (and for CCs, by the 50 cab if available).

That said, when I first started smoking, I bought a ton of samplers, and feel that it was a good thing, because samplers tend to allow the smoker to try a huge variety of different cigars, and at a discount usually, and to me, I think trying everything you can get your hands on is important as a new smoker, if you really want to learn to appreciate as much as you can, and develop a strong, well versed palate. Also, research every cigar you smoke, try to learn what kind of tobaccos are in the blend, this will help you in the long run to know what to expect when looking at new cigars to try. For instance, San Andres Maduro wrappers are all over the place right now, and it is a very different leaf from (for example) Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro from a flavor standpoint. If you aren't familiar with the difference, you may be surprised when one maduro is as different from another as they can be when a different variety of maduro processed leaf is used as a wrapper. I'm a bit of a nerd though, and when I get interested in something, I tend to obsess and read and try to learn as much as I possibly can on a subject... so maybe not everyone goes into the B&M already knowing what strain of wrapper is used on most sticks in the humidor, knows they don't like H2000 very much, etc.