Home Cigar 101
Options

Even Burn... You're doing it wrong?

Question. It seems like every time I smoke a thicker gauge cigar, about a third of the way into it, it starts to burn a little uneven. I will use my lighter to even it out then let it burn a little before I start to draw off of it again. Sure enough, it happens a few more times until about the middle. Then I experience an anomaly where the center will start burning down without affecting the wrapper. I have to grab out my lighter again and toast it some more to try go bring the wrapper down even with the cherry. Am I smoking too fast? Not toasting it enough during the light? Pulling in too much for my draws? I should note that most of the time I am in a semi-windy environment. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    smoking too slow actually.

that or over humidifying your cigars.

or both.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I've had the same problem and figured I was smoking too fast.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a slow smoker and have this problem myself with bigger Gage's especially 60 rings.
  • Options
    So I have an idea for fixing this... I am working with a desktop jar as my only humidor right now. I have been using a propylene glycol solution that is 70%. Maybe take that out and use a Humi-Pillow that is 67%?
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    You could try dry boxing too. 70% is OK especially for long term storage but as you smoke you will more then likely want to bring the RH down a little the pillow might do that but dry boxing for a day or two will work as well.
  • Options
    Plus one on the dry boxing. I used to have that problem, but it went away when I started setting out the bigger guage 'gars for 3 or so days before smoking them.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    ++++ on the dry-boxing.

It's something I did before I knew there was a name for it. A lot of people think that it will dry out the entire cigar, but if the cigar is in an un-humidified humidor or even just a good cigar box for up to a week, it will only decrease the humidity of the outside layers first, and only within an acceptable amount because the stick(s) is inside a closed box without exposure to open air. If left out of the box for that time, that would be bad for the cigar, but the box protects it from loosing too much humidity. Maduro cigars, aged cigars with an oily sheen and full bodied cigars seem to benefit the most from dry-boxing.

Try it with a couple sticks....it won't hurt them.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you guys use a cigar caddy to dry box? if so what size? or a regular wood cigar box , i read this> I have found the best dry boxes are those plastic cigar “road cases” sold by most cigar dealers. Chances are you already own one. I recommend putting a few cigars in the case and smoking them over the course of the following week. These road cases work well because they contain some moisture but allow the cigars to stabilize to perfect smoking condition. I discovered this when I noticed how well my cigars were smoking while on vacation.I do this regularly and find that it makes a huge difference. I recommend everyone give it a try.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    jj20030:
    you guys use a cigar caddy to dry box? if so what size? or a regular wood cigar box , i read this> I have found the best dry boxes are those plastic cigar “road cases” sold by most cigar dealers. Chances are you already own one. I recommend putting a few cigars in the case and smoking them over the course of the following week. These road cases work well because they contain some moisture but allow the cigars to stabilize to perfect smoking condition. I discovered this when I noticed how well my cigars were smoking while on vacation.I do this regularly and find that it makes a huge difference. I recommend everyone give it a try.
    I do use a cigar caddy while on vacation, but I find that the plastic will not absorb any moisture from the cigar. While it is closed, the sticks quickly balance the humidity inside. Every time you open it, if it's a humid day, you let more humidity in, a dry day, you let dry air in, and with no spanish cedar to help balance, your sticks may come out more humid than when they went in.......just my observations, of course.

I do suggest using a 20 count empty humidor with no humidification device or a quality cigar box that closes well. The cedar will be a bit on the dry side, which will draw humidity from the cigar and allow it to slowly loose rh over a couple/few days.

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    camgfs:
    jj20030:
    I do use a cigar caddy while on vacation, but I find that the plastic will not absorb any moisture from the cigar. While it is closed, the sticks quickly balance the humidity inside. Every time you open it, if it's a humid day, you let more humidity in, a dry day, you let dry air in, and with no spanish cedar to help balance, your sticks may come out more humid than when they went in.......just my observations, of course.

I do suggest using a 20 count empty humidor with no humidification device or a quality cigar box that closes well. The cedar will be a bit on the dry side, which will draw humidity from the cigar and allow it to slowly loose rh over a couple/few days.

thanks, i have a 20 count perfect for that and that daily deal herf a dor with the la glorias i picked up today i needed anyway,lol