Home Cigar 101

Medium Maduro Recomendations

Hey guys I'm new to this and have been mostly sticking with the lighter wrapper mild sticks like the 5 Vegas Gold and Rocky Patel Connecticut and a few others that all seemed ok but also needed a little something. The other day I smoked a 5 Vegas Gold Maduro and there it was. It light up with a lot of pepper spice but after an inch it really settled down and the sweet draw of the Gold really blended well to the Maduro rapper for a spice filled finish. I really liked that. Any recommendations to other medium maduro wrapped lil gems that won't break a noob's budget? thanks Spok/David

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 5Vega A, Est 1844,Cuba Libre,Perdomo lot 23, the CCOM red and Brazilian labels are excellent.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    If you liked the 5V gold maddy, def give the "A" series a try. To me they are a MUCH better smoke at a similar price point. Especially if you liked the spice aspect of the gold maddy... The Obsidian is another good, affordable med bodied choice. Some people call it full bodied, but in my experience (about 10 of them so far) they are med at best, but a very good smoke.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Medium maduros...Diesel, Tatuajae Havana VI, CAO Mx2, Olivia O & G, CAO Gold Maduro, Gurkha Ninja, EP Carillo, there is all kinds of different combos! Some aren't all that cheap for a box but a 5 pack is doable.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    A.B. Tempus Maduro, Gurkha Legend, Gurkha Black Dragon, Perdomo 10th Anniv Maduro
  • gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    J.Fuego 777, 601 blue, Pepin JJ maduro, Torano Signature, Kristoff maduro. These are all solid mediums IMO. Not quite into the full range for me.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Davidoff Maduro...
    oliva G maduro.
    would be the two that i recommend. if you are willing to step up in power try the Camacho SLR maduro.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Kristoff Maduro, Oliva G (special G size especially) Nub Maduro.
  • spokspok Posts: 35
    Lots of options thanks fellas
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I see the CAO gold was mentioned +1, and the Lot23 maduro...bunch of great sugg
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    jr_p951:
    Medium maduros...Diesel, Tatuajae Havana VI, CAO Mx2, Olivia O & G, CAO Gold Maduro, Gurkha Ninja, EP Carillo, there is all kinds of different combos! Some aren't all that cheap for a box but a 5 pack is doable.

Interesting. If you ask me, the Diesel is definitely a FULL bodied, full strength cigar. Also, the Havana VI doesn't use a maduro wrapper, but a natural Habano grown in Ecuador. The Verocu blend, which is a ramped up Red label, uses an Oscuro wrapper, which has some similarities to Maduro, but isn't, though.

The new Undercrown from Drew Estate uses a San Andres Maduro wrapper, and is a solid medium bodied stick. The EP Carrillo core line maduros are very good as well, and fall in the medium body range. The Tatuaje La Casita Criolla uses a Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper, and also isn't very strong. More expensive, but fantastic, the Fuente Hemingway Maduros use some of the best Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro out there, and aren't overly strong, and have great dark fruit character in addition to the usual coffee and cocoa maduros offer. Kuzi is spot on with the Davidoff Maduros as well. Impeccable quality, medium bodied, and unique in flavor... but not cheap.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Nub Dub is a nice maduro without being too strong. The Macanudo 1997 maduro is not too strong but gives a lot of smooth/sweet maduro qualities without the filler trying to overpower it.
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Just had a CAO MX2 and it was a nice cigar. I've had the Nub Maduro which was suggested and that's a nice one as well. A lot of the recommended ones I haven't had yet but one I would add is the Cu-Avana Maduro. My roommate had been telling me about them and he got a 5 pack a while back and let me try one. It's more mild-medium bit a real nice smoke. It's a nice after dinner cigar too because it's a little on the sweet side but not overwhelmingly so. Definitely a good anytime smoke though. I do want to try that 5 Vegas Gold Maduro you mentioned too.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Perdomo Lot 23 Maddy is one of my favorites...hard to go wrong with that. May also want to consider the Sancho Panza Double Maduro...another favorite of mine and like the Perdomo it is not expensive.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Cabaiguan Gaupos, DPG JJ, Perdomo Reserve 10th, Torano 50 Years, San Lotano, Padron
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Not sure if the Hoya Excalibur Dark Knight qualifies as a maduro or not, but it's a pretty nice medium bodied smoke that's not too expensive.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    For med bodied maduros try San lotano maduro, macanudo maduro, padron 1964 maduro.

"Long ashes my friends."