Home General Discussion

Recommend a cigar...

I dont drink wine but my neighbor brought us over a bottle last night and I was wondering if any of you wine people could recommend a type of cigar to go with a glass of this?
Click here to see the wine

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Punch Gran Puro to go with the nutty tones of the wine. if not that then a Honduran/Dominican blend.

the Camacho SLR maduro may be a good option as well.
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Thanks!!!
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    A sparkling white...I was thinking something more mild-medium, like an Oliva Connecticut maybe, or a Perdomo Champagne.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Go pour a stiff whiskey
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I would agree. A Muscato is a very sweet wine and would pair better with something more mild or mild-medium. Nothing too bold on flavors, as the white wines are usually soft packed with sweetness. Now if it was more of a Cab, Pino, or Merlot...I'd suggest more of a full or medium-full cigar. The tannins and bold flavors of the wine help balance the full flavors and punch of the big cigars. Thats just me though. To each his own.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    kuzi16:
    Punch Gran Puro to go with the nutty tones of the wine. if not that then a Honduran/Dominican blend.

on that note...

TJ, save the wine... I happen to have both of those cigars in my cooler...
    in general i will disagree with a mild body cigar going with wine, beer, or liquor. the strong flavors of alcohol will easily overpower a mild selection. another thing keep in mind you are tasting a liquid then tasting a gas. it is easier for a tongue to taste the liquid so you get more flavor.
    kuzi16:
    in general i will disagree with a mild body cigar going with wine, beer, or liquor. the strong flavors of alcohol will easily overpower a mild selection. another thing keep in mind you are tasting a liquid then tasting a gas. it is easier for a tongue to taste the liquid so you get more flavor.
    Well, to each his own, but for my taste, a sparkling white wine doesn't provide a strong flavor of alcohol. A premium Kentucky bourbon or a well aged Scotch whiskey will do that, but not a sparkling white wine.
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    BigT06:
    kuzi16:

on that note...

TJ, save the wine... I happen to have both of those cigars in my cooler...
    LOL well hopefully you come over sooner and not later because my wife seems to really enjoy the stuff
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    a Moscato / Muscat is a very fruity and floral wine. Maybe a Diamond Crown which is robust but smooth or possibly a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero Chisel which, to me, has a sweet note to it but is powerful and not spicy
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    So I know Rocky stuff doesn't get a lot of love anymore, but I do have to say the 1990s go great with wine. My brother used to smoke a lot of those and left a handful at my house so he could have them when he was over and the mild sweetness of those goes really well with wine, especially sweet desert wine.

From what I understand when matching up pairings you often times get success trying to match two similar things or when you go opposite, so since I'm guessing you don't have a stash of RP 1990s then try for somethien either similar or completely opposite from the flavors in the wine.
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    Well, to each his own, but for my taste, a sparkling white wine doesn't provide a strong flavor of alcohol. A premium Kentucky bourbon or a well aged Scotch whiskey will do that, but not a sparkling white wine.
    the flavors that i was referring to were the flavors that are in alcoholic beverages. i agree that there is little too no flavors of "alcohol" in that wine, but the overall flavor of the wine is strong compared to a cigar... especially a mild cigar.
    i actually like mild to medium cigars on a prety consistent basis but never with any adult beverage due to the stronger flavors that are associated with them.

some evidence that alcohol holds flavors well and intensifies it is shown in "flavoring oils." these oils are mostly alcohol. flavor (as a generic term) is often soluble with alcohol and it holds flavor well. Beers with a higher ABV sent to have more flavor as well. im not 100% on the science behind it but i will look into it. my father actually has done a bunch of work on related topics. ill give him a call and ask.
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    for me it would depend on what it is. if its a nice wine i would go with a milder cigar so i could focus on the wine. if the wine wasnt that important to me i would go with a fuller cigar.
    if its a nice cigar..... i wouldnt drink anything but water
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    the flavors that i was referring to were the flavors that are in alcoholic beverages. i agree that there is little too no flavors of "alcohol" in that wine, but the overall flavor of the wine is strong compared to a cigar... especially a mild cigar.
    i actually like mild to medium cigars on a prety consistent basis but never with any adult beverage due to the stronger flavors that are associated with them.

some evidence that alcohol holds flavors well and intensifies it is shown in "flavoring oils." these oils are mostly alcohol. flavor (as a generic term) is often soluble with alcohol and it holds flavor well. Beers with a higher ABV sent to have more flavor as well. im not 100% on the science behind it but i will look into it. my father actually has done a bunch of work on related topics. ill give him a call and ask.
    Interesting post

For my taste, I love the pairing of a good medium to full bodied cigar with some smooth Kentucky Bourbon. In fact, I think it just doesn't get better than that, but, as I said, to each his own.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the mild to medium recommendations with a sparkling moscato. They tend to have very delicate, slightly sweet notes of apricots, peaches, white raisins, pressed flowers and even bubblegum notes. This, paired with the fact that they're generally low in alcohol means that something bold or spicy may very well drown out the delicate nature of the wine.

I second the Perdomo Champagne as it's one of my favorite mild smokes and I think the nutty, creamy notes of that particular cigar will contrast well with that style of wine. Sparkling moscatos can be found for short money and can be really nice for something light and sweet with some bubbles.
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    kuzi16:

Interesting post

For my taste, I love the pairing of a good medium to full bodied cigar with some smooth Kentucky Bourbon. In fact, I think it just doesn't get better than that, but, as I said, to each his own.
    im saying that you NEED a full bodied cigar with alcoholic beverages. i would say that the pairing you like with Kentucky Bourbon is a good one. in addition to that i would pair ANY adult beverage with a full bodied cigar because alcohol magnifies flavor. a strong cigar will stand up to that.

a mild cigar even with a "mild" wine will get overpowered easily.
    it is not often that i suggest full bodied cigars but this time, full is better.
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    kuzi16:
    JDH:
    kuzi16:

Interesting post

im saying that you NEED a full bodied cigar with alcoholic beverages. i would say that the pairing you like with Kentucky Bourbon is a good one. in addition to that i would pair ANY adult beverage with a full bodied cigar because alcohol magnifies flavor. a strong cigar will stand up to that.

a mild cigar even with a "mild" wine will get overpowered easily.
    it is not often that i suggest full bodied cigars but this time, full is better.
    OH. I get it. Sometimes I'm just a brickhead.

I still don't agree, but that's one reason there are so many different flavor and strength profiles avaliable; because we all have different tastes and preferences. I say go with whatever floats yer boat.