Home Cigar 101

Damage, blemish or bugs?

The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
Hey everybody! Noticed this on a stick when I pulled it out of my herfador this afternoon...

Of course I FREAKED! Got home tonight and went thru every single stick in a 500ct humidor (!) with a fine-tooth comb - and thank Christ I found NO other evidence of anything like it in the humidor. Now then, what is it... to me it looks like a beetle hole, but Ive never had to deal with this before so it COULD be damage to the wrapper I suppose. And this is embarassing to admit, but Ive got so many callouses on my hands I honestly cant tell by feeling it if its just a blemish on the wrapper.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, hopefully they will be good enough for our resident experts to form an opinion.

Thoughts?

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    When I saw it I didn't get that alarmed feeling.. It could just be a defect in the wrapper that slipped through. Does that hole go deep into the cigar or just the wrapper ?

Not that it matters is that a Padilla '32 ?

• camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    use a pin to see if it it is a hole and how far it goes into the cigar. If it's just a blemish or a small hole just in the wrapper, that should be ok. If it goes past the binder and into the filler, then it could be a problem. The good news is that you are aware of it, before it became a real problem.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    kaspera79:
    When I saw it I didn't get that alarmed feeling.. It could just be a defect in the wrapper that slipped through. Does that hole go deep into the cigar or just the wrapper ?

Not that it matters is that a Padilla '32 ?

It is indeed a Padilla '32, good eye sir.

camgfs:
    use a pin to see if it it is a hole and how far it goes into the cigar. If it's just a blemish or a small hole just in the wrapper, that should be ok. If it goes past the binder and into the filler, then it could be a problem. The good news is that you are aware of it, before it became a real problem.
    Tough to tell since I dont have a probe of any kind small enough to put in the hole (the jokes just write themselves, dont they boys? LOL). Its definitely a hole (which rules out a blemish) but I cant tell how deep it goes. Doesnt seem like its very deep, but Im trashing the stick just to be on the safe side.

camgfs:
    Tough to tell since I dont have a probe of any kind small enough to put in the hole (the jokes just write themselves, dont they boys? LOL). Its definitely a hole (which rules out a blemish) but I cant tell how deep it goes. Doesnt seem like its very deep, but Im trashing the stick just to be on the safe side.

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    We heard you the first time silly sniper...... I don't think it's anything to worry about.
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I wouldn't trash the cigar over that. Just put it in the fridge for a day, the freezer for a couple days, then back to the fridge for a day AND THEN SMOKE IT! The freezing will kill anything that 'might' have been in the cigar and make any eggs dormant again. Tobacco beetles and their eggs are so small, and with only one hole that might not even be a beetle hole, I'd still smoke it. If it was a beetle, it's outa there now anyway.....right?

If it happens again in a week or so to many of your sticks, then worry....otherwise, enjoy your cigars and don't loose any sleep over it.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    is the hole very round? its it almost perfectly round? with smooth edges? almost like it could have been made by a machine?

if not then you are safe.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    kingjk729:
    We heard you the first time silly sniper...... I don't think it's anything to worry about.
    double post have been happening frequent as of late (to no one's fault)...be easy on him....
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I would say that's just damage to the wrapper and not a beetle hole. The reason being is beetle holes are just about perfectly round and this one seems to have an irregular shape to it. However, keeping it by itself in a ziploc w/ a pillow for a few days won't hurt just in case. But I'm pretty sure you're ok.

"Long ashes my friends."

Whew, thanks fellas. I was TOTALLY freaked out by this - was nearly in a panic. LOL Good to know it was just a false alarm, and very thankful to all who stepped up to help out.

Dont know what happened with the double post. Posted that message right before I crashed for the night and I could have sworn I only hit the button once... and I surely would have noticed if the good old "NO DUPLICATE POSTS ALLOWED YOU MORON!!!" screen would have popped up on me. :-)

• jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Whew, thanks fellas. I was TOTALLY freaked out by this - was nearly in a panic. LOL Good to know it was just a false alarm, and very thankful to all who stepped up to help out.

Dont know what happened with the double post. Posted that message right before I crashed for the night and I could have sworn I only hit the button once... and I surely would have noticed if the good old "NO DUPLICATE POSTS ALLOWED YOU MORON!!!" screen would have popped up on me. :-)

lol,
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like it goes from the outside in so I'm guessing damage.BTW beetle holes aren't always round lots of time they are jagged and very ugly. Check out the post " our friends the beetles.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Rhamlin:
    It looks like it goes from the outside in so I'm guessing damage.BTW beetle holes aren't always round lots of time they are jagged and very ugly. Check out the post " our friends the beetles.
    true but it looks like a wrapper imperfection, at least from what I can tell from the pic. Never hurts to inspect the stash though...may even make you feel guilty about all your sticks till the next deal makes you forget.