Home Cigar 101
Options

Dry Mist Tubes?

Hi all new to cigars. I was wondering what experience people have with dry mist tubes filled with crystals. Fill with distilled water or something like Xikar PG solution that maintains a set RH.?

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been wondering how people like them myself. I like how they are the size of one cigar and you can spread them around without taking up too much real estate.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    I am a fan of drymistat tubes, although I cant speak to other brands if there are any. I find they are especially effective in smaller spaces (herfador, 20-40ct humidors, etc). Two of my larger humidors have drawers in the bottom of them, which was a problem since my humidifiers are above them in the main unit - humidity in the drawers usually lagged the rest of the humi. Tossed a drymistat tube in the drawer and voila - problem solved.

• Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Use distilled water in them, not any of the solutions. I started out using these and like them. I still use them today in combination with beads. Note that the tubes will take in humidity like they claim, but I found it to be reeeeeally slow, so sometimes my humidity would creep up in the summer.

So I think they are a great, cheap and easy starter humidifier if you are watchful. They don't hold as steady as beads but they do the job well.
  • Options
    love the tubes! I find them less "awkward" than the jars when Im trying to find a place for them in my humi. They work very well and last for a LONG time (obviously needing to be refilled, but thats it for maintenance).
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I currently have 3 tubes in my 125 count and it does not seem to be enough. May go to a 4th to see if I can keep it at 65%. I love the size and convenience of them
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    The tubes are great... I have 2 in a 50 count desktop humi... I only have to recharge them every 4-6 months... not a bad deal... plus they take up very little space
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the same gel that is used in the humi pillows. They work well but the pillows are a better deal and hold the RH rock solid. I even seen some new large size pillows at a retailer in FL. I use about 15 or so in my huge bin and they work great. I keep them in a separate open plastic bag resting on top of my cigars and I have zero problems and will never look back. They also sell plastic tubs of the stuff as well but again. the pillows are a better value ounce for ounce. $5 get you 12 at a competitor site and cigar.com send them out with the sticks, Cheap, easy, and works great. Don't need to add any PG, just distilled water. If the RH starts climbing you could add PG but I'd just toss them and get a new ones. Just my $0.02. Good luck.