Home Non Cigar Related

NCAA Basketball

Any b-ball fans out there? Who's your favorite team? Personally I'm a Duke fan. (This should cause some reaction.) By the way, what the hell is a Tar Heel and why is their mascot a goat?

Comments

• rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    I am a Purdue fan. (Yes, I know you kicked our @ss earlier this year.) I am hoping for a good season from our young team.

It will be interesting to see if the Tar Heels win it all since Hansbourgh came back for his final season.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I have to say I'm a Buckeye's fan with Xavier U Muskies a close second. I love that they are both doing well right now!
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Miami University first, then the rest of the MAC.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Pitt Panthers...this is the year...at least the elite eight.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I used to follow this a lot, but not so much over the past 10 years or so. I just sorta lost interest. Not sure why.
  • My poor Indiana Hoosiers. That's all I can say.
  • plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    Is anyone else watching the Duke/UNC game? Its been great so far,as usual.
    I'm wit ya...can't really stomach Dickie V any more...but you can always count on this being a great game. Kinda like Xavier and Duquesne University, right BBC?
    I hear you on the Dicky V thing. Ive heard him so much that ive learned to tune him out. If you believe thats possible.
    plaidbanana1:
    I hear you on the Dicky V thing. Ive heard him so much that ive learned to tune him out. If you believe thats possible.
    Oddly, I like Patrick though...did when he did Sunday night football too.

Funny how these certain guys are so great in college, like Hansbrough, who you know will suck as pros, i.e. Tim Tebow, Gino Torreta, Adam Morrison, etc.

Guess I'd like to see UNC win...always good to watch Duke lose.
    I didn't watch the game, but since you mentioned him, Mike Patrick is my favorite play-by-play guy for football or basketball.

I've been saying for years, while Monday Night Football has been changing it's team every year, that the one guy they've kept through all the changes is the problem: Al Michaels. The guy is just clearly bored by the games. He doesn't even want to talk about them. He wants to talk about the owners, the front office guys, Wall Street, and even more than any of those, the horse track.

Mike Patrick is the guy ESPN should've picked for play-by-play when they bought MNF. He clearly loves the games and really gets into them. Tirico is good, but Patrick is better.

I don't know how Michaels gets work. He's coasting on his reputation.
    Couldn't agree more on this. I almost feel like Michaels has disdain for what he's doing, the viewers, etc. Patrick seemes sincerely intriguied by whatever contest he's calling. Sure, he's gets a little too excited sometimes, but that's hardly a sin and it's not like he's Gus Johnson or something...that guys a little too excitable (but I still like him, too).

To me, the perfect MNF booth would be Patrick and Cris Collinsworth, who breaks the game down better than anybody and always has relevant football points (as opposed to points about six-legged turkeys or horse tracks or whatever).
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    plaidbanana1:
    How about them Heels? :)

As for a Tar Heel do you really want the history lesson or were you just being a smart@ss? :)
    Luko:
    Couldn't agree more on this. I almost feel like Michaels has disdain for what he's doing, the viewers, etc. Patrick seemes sincerely intriguied by whatever contest he's calling. Sure, he's gets a little too excited sometimes, but that's hardly a sin and it's not like he's Gus Johnson or something...that guys a little too excitable (but I still like him, too).

To me, the perfect MNF booth would be Patrick and Cris Collinsworth, who breaks the game down better than anybody and always has relevant football points (as opposed to points about six-legged turkeys or horse tracks or whatever).
    "Disdain" is the perfect word for Michaels' attitude.

For color guys, I still really like both Paul Maguire and Dan Dierdorf. Neither of them is a super-genius at breaking down the modern game, but they're both football guys, and Maguire just cracks me up. It's hard not to have fun watching the game when he's having so much fun calling it.
    madurofan:
    plaidbanana1:
    How about them Heels? :)

As for a Tar Heel do you really want the history lesson or were you just being a smart@ss? :)
    Sure I was being a smart@ss, but I realy don't know what a Tar Heel is. So, maybe you can help me out.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    During the Revolutionary War the North Carolinian Militias held their lines so well people said that they must have tar on their heels.
    Really? Cuz I heard it was because they couldn't sh*t in the woods without hitting their feet.
    urbino:
    Really? Cuz I heard it was because they couldn't sh*t in the woods without hitting their feet.
    Ur thinking of South Carolinans...that's why today we call them sh*t heels.
    Let's not make invidious distinctions: they all have poo on their tootsies.
    urbino:
    Let's not make invidious distinctions: they all have poo on their tootsies.
    Apparently their **** are game, as well.
    madurofan:
    During the Revolutionary War the North Carolinian Militias held their lines so well people said that they must have tar on their heels.
    Well, thats respectable. But, why is their mascot a goat?
    plaidbanana1:
    madurofan:
    I think I remember reading that in NC, during bleak times, people would grind up their goats to make tar...
    Luko:
    plaidbanana1:
    madurofan:
    I think I remember reading that in NC, during bleak times, people would grind up their goats to make tar...
    WOW! I did not know you could get tar out of goats.
    plaidbanana1:
    madurofan:
    Oh, that's easy. It's because of that old story about Br'er Rabbit and the Tar Goat.
    Did anyone watch the game between Ucon and Syracuse? Six overtimes? Are you kidding me? Seems like a pretty good warmup for March Madness.
    I didn't see it, but saw the highlights...unbelievable. The Big East is THE conference...no doubt. In other news, this is the year Pitt gets that Sweet 16 monkey off its back and makes it to the Final Four.
    Well, my dookies are done. Good luck to anyone who still has a team in the tourny,
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    7 of my elite 8 are still in, and all my final four. As far as teams I would actually root for if it weren't for my bracket -- they were eliminated long ago.
    My bracket is shot to hell, my final four is Wake, Memphis, Pitt and UCONN. However, and much more importantly, the Panthers are alive.
  • iwsmith2iwsmith2 Posts: 65
    Amen... Hail to Pitt