Home Cigar 101

Grrr

deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
OK, no new sticks in the coolidor..and the damn thing is still at 71-72%. I have 65% beads in there, I dont get it.

Comments

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    OK, no new sticks in the coolidor..and the damn thing is still at 71-72%. I have 65% beads in there, I dont get it.

How accurate is your hygro?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    Beads are overcharged and can't absorb the extra humidity. Or, beads haven't had enough time to absorb that extra humidity ? Crack the lid and help some escape.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    deejmemixx:
    Beads are overcharged and can't absorb the extra humidity. Or, beads haven't had enough time to absorb that extra humidity ? Crack the lid and help some escape.
    I have not charged the beads for some time, took a look at them and they are 50/50 I would say in white/clear. I left it open until it went down to 60% closed the lid and an hour later it was at the 70% mark again. I did the salt water test and it seemed to be ok. I know higher % is good for aging...but lol...I have maybe 5 sticks that I will age.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    Do you live near Kingofthecove he's having the very same problem, maybe it's just the climate.
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    Maybe your beads aren't 65s, and are in fact 70s????
    I'm starting to wonder if that's my issue...........

KingoftheCove:
    deejmemixx:

well that would piss me off, as I bought them as 65%
    deejmemixx:
    KingoftheCove:
    deejmemixx:

well that would piss me off, as I bought them as 65%

I'm just guessing that this may be the cause.......but it's a guess at best.
    Have you ever been able to get the RH down to 65-67 or so with these beads?
  • In my experience, if 1/2 of your beads are actually crystal clear, they are way overcharged. Mine are usually only 10% completely clear, 80% snow white, and the other 10% in between. My humidity stays pretty spot on this way.
    MonteWhite:
    In my experience, if 1/2 of your beads are actually crystal clear, they are way overcharged. Mine are usually only 10% completely clear, 80% snow white, and the other 10% in between. My humidity stays pretty spot on this way.
    if that is the case, why would it take a month for the humidity to raise so suddenly? it was at 65-67% with 3/4 clear
    deejmemixx:
    MonteWhite:
    In my experience, if 1/2 of your beads are actually crystal clear, they are way overcharged. Mine are usually only 10% completely clear, 80% snow white, and the other 10% in between. My humidity stays pretty spot on this way.
    if that is the case, why would it take a month for the humidity to raise so suddenly? it was at 65-67% with 3/4 clear
    OK - so you have been able to get the rh down previously....so....dry out the beads, so that about 80+ percent of them are bright white......then see what happens...(proceed at your own risk when following any advice I offer......)

KingoftheCove:
    deejmemixx:
    MonteWhite:
    OK - so you have been able to get the rh down previously....so....dry out the beads, so that about 80+ percent of them are bright white......then see what happens...(proceed at your own risk when following any advice I offer......)

I know you guys don't usually pay attention to what I suggest because you keep coming up with the same problem - time after time - after I've made the same suggestion; ergo, stop charging your beads!!! Get them totally dry and put them in your humi. Then get a small dish like a custard cup, put about 1/4 inch of distilled water in it, and set it in your humi. Close the lid and LEAVE IT ALONE for a day or two and see what happens. The beads are engineered to absorb excess moisture to the %RH they're designed for or to release moisture back into the atmosphere when the RH drops below the design level. There's no need to charge them!

If you think about it, these beads are designed to maintain a constant level of RH for use in places like museums, etc. Can you see a museum paying someone to go around charging beads they've already paid a pretty good price for that are supposed to maintain the RH? H*ll, no, otherwise they wouldn't have bought the beads in the first place.

I use the method I've set out above and I don't have RH problems. 'Nuff said......

And I don't plan to ever deal with this topic again. Like I said, it works but nobody listens.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    jlmarta:
    KingoftheCove:
    deejmemixx:
    MonteWhite:

I know you guys don't usually pay attention to what I suggest because you keep coming up with the same problem - time after time - after I've made the same suggestion; ergo, stop charging your beads!!! Get them totally dry and put them in your humi. Then get a small dish like a custard cup, put about 1/4 inch of distilled water in it, and set it in your humi. Close the lid and LEAVE IT ALONE for a day or two and see what happens. The beads are engineered to absorb excess moisture to the %RH they're designed for or to release moisture back into the atmosphere when the RH drops below the design level. There's no need to charge them!

If you think about it, these beads are designed to maintain a constant level of RH for use in places like museums, etc. Can you see a museum paying someone to go around charging beads they've already paid a pretty good price for that are supposed to maintain the RH? H*ll, no, otherwise they wouldn't have bought the beads in the first place.

I use the method I've set out above and I don't have RH problems. 'Nuff said......

And I don't plan to ever deal with this topic again. Like I said, it works but nobody listens.
    Although the directions do say to spray with a mist bottle I believe your method should work well even if it takes a little longer. This would be easier than opening up bags to spray and recharge as well. First time I have seen the suggestion ( relatively new here) so thanks.
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    jlmarta:

If it makes you feel better I am going to listen to you and try it in my coolidor as soon as my beads come in this week...
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:

Couldn't have said this any better. I agree 100% with everything he said.
    jlmarta:
    KingoftheCove:
    deejmemixx:
    MonteWhite:

well I do not know how you can lump everyone in to "not listening to you" as I have never seen this post, I will give this a try and see what happens
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    jlmarta:
    KingoftheCove:
    deejmemixx:
    MonteWhite:

"...stop charging your beads!!! Get them totally dry and put them in your humi. Then get a small dish like a custard cup, put about 1/4 inch of distilled water in it, and set it in your humi. Close the lid and LEAVE IT ALONE for a day or two and see what happens. The beads are engineered to absorb excess moisture to the %RH they're designed for or to release moisture back into the atmosphere when the RH drops below the design level. There's no need to charge them!

You couldn't be more correct. I know you are correct, because my wife is a museum archivist, but for some strange reason, I never do this. I just have A pavlovian response of charging the beads ANYWAY. DUH!
    jlmarta:
    KingoftheCove:
    deejmemixx:
    MonteWhite:

Marty - you know I love ya! and listen to your advice..........but.....

1) The dish of water trick is a pain in the a$$ for many small to medium sized humis........probably great for a cooler that doesn't get moved....not so great for a 50-100ct wood humi, for all the obvious reasons (taking up space, threat of a spill, etc.)

2) I'm not sure the OP over-charged his beads.............his beads appear to be over-charged now however, and how they got that way I don't know....which is why I suggested he dry them out (many ways to do that.....my way being the best of course!)....heh!!

• jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    What are your beads in ? (dish, cup, bag, etc.) How much surface area of the beads are exposed? Just didnt see any ask this in this thread.
    KingoftheCove:
    jlmarta:
    KingoftheCove:
    deejmemixx:
    MonteWhite:

Marty - you know I love ya! and listen to your advice..........but.....

1) The dish of water trick is a pain in the a$$ for many small to medium sized humis........probably great for a cooler that doesn't get moved....not so great for a 50-100ct wood humi, for all the obvious reasons (taking up space, threat of a spill, etc.)

2) I'm not sure the OP over-charged his beads.............his beads appear to be over-charged now however, and how they got that way I don't know....which is why I suggested he dry them out (many ways to do that.....my way being the best of course!)....heh!!

Okay, so forget the water bowl. Use a humidifier of some sort that won't spill water but don't - don't - use the beads as a replacement for a source of moisture. That's just counter-productive.
    jadelt:
    What are your beads in ? (dish, cup, bag, etc.) How much surface area of the beads are exposed? Just didnt see any ask this in this thread.

I have a half-pound of Heartfelt beads in a mesh (I think ) bag in my vertical coolidor. I don't know how to answer your question re: surface area except to say the bag is sorta sausage-shaped and the exposed surface area is obviously less than what's not exposed. The math eludes me.
  • jadeltjadelt Posts: 763 ✭✭
    The mesh bag should work great. I have seen some people fill up a cup with only a little surface of the beads exposed and they dont work as well that way. You should be fine.
    jadelt:
    The mesh bag should work great. I have seen some people fill up a cup with only a little surface of the beads exposed and they dont work as well that way. You should be fine.

Thanks. But I'm not the one having problems.
    deejmemixx:
    well I do not know how you can lump everyone in to "not listening to you" as I have never seen this post, I will give this a try and see what happens

Yeah, you're right. I forget that some of you guys are relatively new to the boards and, because I've posted on this topic so many times, I just assume everyone has read them at least once. My bad. Sorry.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    skweekz:
    jlmarta:

Couldn't have said this any better. I agree 100% with everything he said.
    +1. This is the same thing I do in coolidorasaurus (albeit on a larger scale probably) and my RH is spot on, dead nuts accurate. When I was misting the beads I had all sorts of funny issues. Another bonus to doing it this way is convenience - that little bit of water in the cup lasts me for 6+ months without ever having to be topped off.

jlmarta:
    deejmemixx:

Yeah, you're right. I forget that some of you guys are relatively new to the boards and, because I've posted on this topic so many times, I just assume everyone has read them at least once. My bad. Sorry.
    Got a little azz in your teeth there J.L. - may wanna go floss... LMAO!

KingoftheCove:

Use a hair dryer set on air only or cool for this. Probably self explanatory, but I just saw something in another thread that should be in Cigar 101 or Cigars For Dummies that several BOTL here werent aware of. Im NOT saying that to be a jerk or know-it-all... sort of like jlmarta said earlier, I think some of us have been in this community for so long we start taking for granted that if I know it, then everybody must know it. :-)

The Sniper:
    jlmarta:
    deejmemixx:

It happens. When you enter geezerhood your memory sometimes gets a little fuzzy. Oh, well......
    jlmarta:
    The Sniper:
    jlmarta:
    deejmemixx:

It happens. When you enter geezerhood your memory sometimes gets a little fuzzy. Oh, well......
    LOL All good in the 'hood my friend. And take heart! I read in a fortune cookie just today "A senior citizen you know will soon be receiving something that will turn his frown upside down." Wonder what that could mean... :-)

The Sniper:
    jlmarta:
    The Sniper:
    jlmarta:
    deejmemixx:

LOL All good in the 'hood my friend. And take heart! I read in a fortune cookie just today "A senior citizen you know will soon be receiving something that will turn his frown upside down." Wonder what that could mean... :-)

Yeah, you summagun, you know darned well what it meant since you're the one who sent that 'something' and it would turn anyone's frown upside down!!!

For the rest of you guys reading this, look for a new thread under 'Trades, Passes, and Bombs' in a little while. I'll post there as soon as I collect my wits (what few I have left) and recover from the shock.

As for you, Glen, all I can say at the moment is, YOU DA MAN, BUDDY, YOU DA MAN !!