Home Cigar 101

Non-Cubans similar to Cubans

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
I'm wondering what non-cuban made cigars come the closest to mimicking true Cuban cigars?

Thanks again for the help.  I'm working on putting together a big order for the spring and summer months ahead.

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    I'm wondering what non-cuban made cigars come the closest to mimicking true Cuban cigars?

Thanks again for the help.  I'm working on putting together a big order for the spring and summer months ahead.
    None. Just to be flat out honest.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    ZAP:

agreed.

that doenst mean that there arent good smokes out there.

maybe even some better than cubans depending on what you like in a cigar.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    ZAP:

agreed.

Very true. Cuban tobacco just has a very distinctive flavor.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I've only ever had one ISOM and it was a Cohiba Robusto. It was good, but it wasn't any better than a lot of other smokes I've had. If I ever find where I can get my hands on one or two more I'll have to try a different brand or something. Maybe just the Cohiba line isn't all it's supposed to be.
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    ZAP:

agreed.

Very true. Cuban tobacco just has a very distinctive flavor.

OK..getting to be a consensus on this....so maybe I need to get some true Cubans to try....what are the top cuban made brands or cigars if a guy made a trip to Canada or something...I'm only about two hours from the border so it is a possibility for me...if I had a shot at some true Cubans what would be the brands to look for?

Thanks again for all the great help
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Monticristo #2 are rated one of the top every year. The Partagas Series P #4 is extremely similar. Hoyo de Monterrey makes a really nice Churchill. My favorite is the Cuaba. I hear Bolivars are great. I am not a fan of the Cohiba and Romeo and Juliet.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I didn't care for the Monte #2... so there is at least one person on earth that doesn't like them. The Bolivar petit corona is good as are the El Rey Del Mundo choix supreme, Partagas Serie P #2, H. Upmann #2, Vegas Robainas unicos and I thought the Romeo y Julieta churchill was pretty good too.
    Sancho Panza

they are a cuban brand also. one of the best from what i have read. ... also the most under rated.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Sancho Panza

they are a cuban brand also. one of the best from what i have read. ... also the most under rated.
    ..mmmmmm Sancho Panza, you are the one who made me a fan, from what I read.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Anyone know where I could read up on the Sancho Panzas?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I had a cuban monte and it wasn't bad but not worth the price my ex's dad paid for. I don't think I would turn a cuban down but I'm not going to seek any out. I have enough cigars I already love and many more I have but haven't tried. I think there is a large cloud around the cuban cigar mythos, as most people I run into say they are the best but really haven't had any.. I guess when something is out of reach it is always going to be better.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    The only Cubans I have were given to me, mostly by people here in bombs or trades.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    urbino:
    The only Cubans I have were given to me, mostly by people here in bombs or trades.

But were they any good ?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    urbino:

But were they any good ?
    I'm sure you know a lot about cubans laker, isn't there several "authorized" places in canada?
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    laker1963:
    urbino:

But were they any good ?
    I haven't smoked any of them, yet. Saving them for warmer weather.
    I read about Sancho Panza (ISOM) in Cigar aficionado.

I also hear that they need a good amount of rest. (2+ years) before they really reach the full potential.