Home Ratings & Reviews

San Lotano Oval corona

JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
Hey, cigar dogs. Hope this review finds you all well and in good spirits. I’m new to this forum, and this is my first cigar review ever, so bear with me.

I’m not one of those guys who can pick out all the subtle nuisances and flavors when I enjoy a cigar, but I know what I like, and I know when I’ve stumbled onto a very good thing; and this cigar is definitely the real deal. In my opinion, AJ has just moved into the ranks with the Padron family.

The wrapper is a beautiful dark reddish brown, falling in between the Oliva V maduro and the Padron ’26 maduro. It is rolled very firm, and feels exactly the way an excellently constructed corona should feel in your hand. The oval shape is similar to an Oliva Master Blend. If you have ever had one of those, you will recognize it immediately.

I used a punch on it and fired the foot. It lit quickly, and like all of AJ’s cigars, the burn was just near perfect. Lots of smoke billowed out effortlessly, and from the first puff, I knew I was in for a special ride.

The only way I can describe this cigar is to make comparisons, so here goes. If you’ve ever enjoyed a Partagas D and really good authentic Cuban coffee, then you will love this cigar. In a few days, I am going to fire up a Padron ’26 and an Oval robusto together and compare them. That is going to be very interesting.

I burned my fingers on this corona, literally. My only complaint is that it didn’t last long enough; about 45 minutes, but I was just completely blown away by this cigar. I strongly suggest having one of these after a medium rare NY Strip with the best coffee you can get.

One last thing – in the spirit of Thanksgiving, I want to thank all the good folks who made this cigar available to us. It always boggles my mind when I think of the man-hours that go into the creation of these cigars that we are so fortunate to enjoy. Thank you AJ Fernandez, for creating it. Thanks to your staff and your rollers, and thanks to cigar.com for putting these in my humidor.

For all you cigar dogs – get a box of these sooner than later.

Comments

• Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Sounds incredible. The only SL blend I've tried so far is the maduro and it was really good. I'm heavily into coronas though, and I believe this is the only one he put in this size...looks like a good reason for it. Thanks for the review!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Tim set me up with a good deal on the San Lotano...2 Oval coronas...2 oval robustos...4 Habano robustos...and 2 maduro toros.... I just burned the first one of that order. All I can say is that there really is no reason to **** after Cuban cigars. This is the real deal... Sorry about not inserting paragraphs in the review. I just copied it from a word document, and assumed that it would stay intact.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    JDH:
    All I can say is that there really is no reason to **** after Cuban cigars.
    Except that none of the San Lotanos have anything in common with Cuban cigars in terms of flavor profile, really at all. I like the San Lotanos, but like many other cigars that marketing departments call Cubanesque, there is nothing Cubanesque about them, at all.
    All taste is subjective, by definition. This cigar reminded me of a Partagas D. I can only speak for myself, but that's my honest impression.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Taste is definitely subjective. If you enjoyed it and felt it tasted that way, awesome. And thanks for the review. Makes me want to get a couple since Coronas are my new favorite vitola. Don't let people prevent you from posting your opinion of a cigar.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    docbp87:
    JDH:
    Except that none of the San Lotanos have anything in common with Cuban cigars in terms of flavor profile, really at all. I like the San Lotanos, but like many other cigars that marketing departments call Cubanesque, there is nothing Cubanesque about them, at all.
    +1 to this. All the Cubans I've had tasted kinda like a smores.
    This in no way, even remotely, resembles that.

stephen_hannibal:
    docbp87:
    JDH:
    +1 to this. All the Cubans I've had tasted kinda like a smores.
    This in no way, even remotely, resembles that.

I probably should have added that we are very lucky to be living in a time when so many excellent premium cigar blenders and manufacturers are producing cigars of such high quality. The cigar industry in Honduras and Nicaragua are making some wonderful offerings, and we're very lucky to have them avaliable, and that's why I think that the mystique of Cuban cigars is becoming less relevant.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I'm not really impressed with the PSD4 and when it comes to a corona, the MOW Puro Authentico is right up there with some real greats. AJ is a really great blender because he understands farming and it shows in most of his products. I need to try one of these and compare to the PSD4.

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your first review.
    dennisking:
    I'm not really impressed with the PSD4 and when it comes to a corona, the MOW Puro Authentico is right up there with some real greats. AJ is a really great blender because he understands farming and it shows in most of his products. I need to try one of these and compare to the PSD4.

I'm with you regarding AJ and the Puro Authentico. I really like that little cigar; impeccable burn and construction and I prefer them to Pete Johnson's cigars. I’ve got several in the box right now. To be honest, I prefer the corona size to the larger ring gauges; the flavors seem to be a little more intense to me.
    JDH:
    dennisking:

I'm with you regarding AJ and the Puro Authentico. I really like that little cigar; impeccable burn and construction and I prefer them to Pete Johnson's cigars. I’ve got several in the box right now. To be honest, I prefer the corona size to the larger ring gauges; the flavors seem to be a little more intense to me.
    It's funny you mention Pete Johnson. I love the Tat Verocu #5 almost as much as the MOW PA and they are both similar in size. The Verocu is a little smoother in the flavor department but I just smoked a MOW PA with 6mos. on it and that spiciness that is a touch harsh has smoothed out considerably. I think the Verocu #5 is the most comparable. I like it considerably more than any other Tat I've smoked. I like Tat's a lot but the Verocu #5 is my top guy.
    curious to see how the Oval Corona compares to the PSD4
    dennisking:
    JDH:
    dennisking:

It's funny you mention Pete Johnson. I love the Tat Verocu #5 almost as much as the MOW PA and they are both similar in size. The Verocu is a little smoother in the flavor department but I just smoked a MOW PA with 6mos. on it and that spiciness that is a touch harsh has smoothed out considerably. I think the Verocu #5 is the most comparable. I like it considerably more than any other Tat I've smoked. I like Tat's a lot but the Verocu #5 is my top guy.
    curious to see how the Oval Corona compares to the PSD4
    I agree completely about the Verocu #5. I can't leave my MOW's alone that long, so I will probably never know if they smooth out or not, but I'll take your word for it.

The Oval has more of a coffee flavor to it than the PS, but I thought everything else was pretty similar, but what do I know, I put ketchup on my food.
    ketchup huh, yup, you just lost me...... Stick out tongue [:P]
  • JDH:
    stuff

Hey glad to hear it as a good experience. I have two toro's Ovals I've been resting and can't wait to try. They smell FANTASTIC. What'd you think of the aroma of your corona's and how much did it relate to what the flavor profile was?

drpepperdude:
    JDH:
    stuff

Hey glad to hear it as a good experience. I have two toro's Ovals I've been resting and can't wait to try. They smell FANTASTIC. What'd you think of the aroma of your corona's and how much did it relate to what the flavor profile was?

Before I fired the foot, I passed the length of the cigar under my nostrils and got really rich, dark semi-sweet chocolate, some coffee and a little cedar, I think. There was no "barnyard" aroma, just a rich earthy tobacco with those aromas prevailing. That aroma was just a hint of better things to come. I had another one last night, and I swear, I could still taste the wonderful creamy richness of that ciger for at least 45 minutes after I put it down.

I love this cigar.
    JDH:
    drpepperdude:
    JDH:
    stuff

Before I fired the foot, I passed the length of the cigar under my nostrils and got really rich, dark semi-sweet chocolate, some coffee and a little cedar, I think. There was no "barnyard" aroma, just a rich earthy tobacco with those aromas prevailing. That aroma was just a hint of better things to come. I had another one last night, and I swear, I could still taste the wonderful creamy richness of that ciger for at least 45 minutes after I put it down.

I love this cigar.
    One thing you guys will figure out about me is that I my typing skills suck, and I can misspell anything.
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Posts: 84 ✭✭
    If Cigar Aficionado rates the 2011 San Lotano Oval as high as Cigar Journal, these are going to get real scarce. But then again maybe CA didn't review them to be eligible...
    CharlieCordus:
    If Cigar Aficionado rates the 2011 San Lotano Oval as high as Cigar Journal, these are going to get real scarce. But then again maybe CA didn't review them to be eligible...
    I'm hoping to get a box of these for christmas. If I don't, I'll be treating myself to at least one box.
  • CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Posts: 84 ✭✭
    JDH:
    CharlieCordus:
    I'm hoping to get a box of these for christmas. If I don't, I'll be treating myself to at least one box.
    I had the robusto recently and it was excellent! I'm seriously thinking about getting a box after the new year myself.
  • My favorite cigar to date. Had one tonight and the only disappointment was that it was not bigger. Truly a great cigar.
    Well, after Christmas I ended up with a box each of Oval coronas and robustos. By some miracle, I still have about 2/3 still in the box. The only way to justify my original comparison with the Oval and the PD4 is to come up with a bunch of 'em, but that's not so easy to do. Anybody have any suggestions?????????????
    Messick:
    My favorite cigar to date. Had one tonight and the only disappointment was that it was not bigger. Truly a great cigar.
    I really love the size, but think it would be even better if it were about 6.5" long.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    JDH:
    Messick:
    My favorite cigar to date. Had one tonight and the only disappointment was that it was not bigger. Truly a great cigar.
    I really love the size, but think it would be even better if it were about 6.5" long.
    That's what she... oh nevermind.

I do wish they made a 46x6 or so. The Robusto is a nice size either way and I enjoy that.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Haven't had the Corona, yet. I've got a Belicoso resting in my humidor for the time being. I figure another couple of months should suffice. Awesome review, by the way.