Home Cigar 101

old dried out cigars... still good?

So I just found my old humidor in a box with a few cigars I bought a few years ago. The cigars felt pretty dry and I cant remember what the humidity % was when I opened the humidor. Anyways, I my question is are they still good/can I restore them? How should I go about doing so? I soaked the humidifier and have had them sitting for about a week at 75-80%. They already feel like they're coming back to good condition. Any help would be appreacitated, it's only about $30 worth of cigars.

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Toss'em start anew
  • camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    If the conditions were anywhere close to ok, and since you mention nothing of mold or beetles, I'd say you could recover them. I really do suggest starting them off at a lower humidity! If they were dry, adding them to a humid environment of 75%rh could make them swell and split, not to mention the possibility of mold.
    If the box was sealed, and you re-introduce the humidity slowly, it may take several months to a year before they are ready to smoke. If they were 50cent sticks, toss them for sure, but if they are expensive sticks try to save them. They may be fantastic and may have aged nicely.

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    A few years old and thirty bucks... I would not go through the trouble for a diminished payoff...start over. Or hang around here, it could turn interesting. Welcome 2plaz.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I say give it a shot. What do you have to lose? Start them out slowly (75-80% is way too high right off the bat). Gradually increase humidity then let them sit for a good year or so at stable conditions IMO. In the meantime, buy new sticks, smoke, enjoy....repeat as necessary. And welcome!
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    camgfs:
    If the conditions were anywhere close to ok, and since you mention nothing of mold or beetles, I'd say you could recover them. I really do suggest starting them off at a lower humidity! If they were dry, adding them to a humid environment of 75%rh could make them swell and split, not to mention the possibility of mold.
    If the box was sealed, and you re-introduce the humidity slowly, it may take several months to a year before they are ready to smoke. If they were 50cent sticks, toss them for sure, but if they are expensive sticks try to save them. They may be fantastic and may have aged nicely.

+1 you should start them out at a much lower humidity. If the wrappers have not already cracked it is a miracle.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    http://www.cigarbeat.net/blog/restoring-a-dry-cigar/2007/04/26/

The owner of my favorite local B&M swears by the damp towell method described here.
  • I had a Padron 64 on Thanksgiving that had been dry-boxed in a humidor for at least a year. I re-seasoned the humi and put it back in for about two to three months (give or take) and smoked it. I could/should have taken it a bit more slowly and given it more time but I figured worst case scenario, I'm out $20. Good burn, tasted good enough... overall I'd say a success.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    season the humidor, drop a few humidor crysals in a shot glass with a drop of water over them, once its no longer bone dry in the humidor, move the cigar over. You might need to recondition the humi 4 or 5 times before its not bone dry any more. over a period of months, add more crystals to that shot glass and a few drops of water. should keep everything real stable.
  • If they are cheap sticks don't bother and just toss them, but if they are good $5 and up sticks then why not give it a shot. You gotta be patient though. Start raising the humidity slowly as suggested by others.
  • 2plaz2plaz Posts: 2
    thanks for the welcome! ive been buying from cigar.com since 2008 and just found out about this forum over the summer while i was deployed.
    anyways, everyone gave some pretty interesting advice. i have another humidor with some good sticks so i think ill just let these old ones i found sit for a while. we'll see how they turn out.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definately worth a try. As long as all the oils haven't completely dried up you may be pleasantly surprised.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Throw the sticks away. Season your humidor. PM me your address. I'll send you something to smoke.