Home Cigar 101

cigar blowout

DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
This morning I was smoking a 5 Vegas Limitada. As I made it down the stick it started to split and blow apart. My humi is right around 65% rh. Could this just be a bad stick?

Comments

• Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Did you take and smoke it right out of the humi? Sometimes, the cigar does not have time to adjust to the outside temperatures and Rh. Often times I will let mine sit out for about 10-15 minutes while I do a couple errands.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I did grab one and head out..Is 28 this am and I'm sitting down by the bay
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Yeah those are some drastic temperature changes for the cigar to go through. Plus adding the heat. I bet that cigar was so confused. Lol
    Thankya for the info
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    When I smoke in the winter I always try to dry box the cigar for a day just go get the humidity as low as possible. There is something about winter that makes cigars explode, not sure if its the change in humidity or change in temp.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Honestly, its the cigar, IMO. More of the 5 Vegas Limitadas I have smoked have had serious issues with construction than have smoked well. And I mean blowing up, having huge knots at the halfway point, etc.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    I haven't had any issues going from indoor to the low 20s in temps with my recent sticks so I would say it's the 5v.
    I'll just have to recreate the scenario . It's gonnna suck having to go back to the water and enjoy a coffee as I smoke another one.. Life is soo unfair sometimes
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I have had some stogies rip open after taking them out in the cold. So could def be the change and not just the stogie.
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    docbp87:
    Honestly, its the cigar, IMO. More of the 5 Vegas Limitadas I have smoked have had serious issues with construction than have smoked well. And I mean blowing up, having huge knots at the halfway point, etc.

+1 I will not buy 5 Vegas for a while their quality has really dropped recently across the board.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    doc is right IMO. as he usually is...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    docbp87:
    doc is right IMO. as he usually is...
    if this was the middle of summer or it was raining out then i would think it was humidity. when the humidity in the air is significantly higher than the humidor then there tends to be explosion issues.
    i tend to agree that it is the cigar itself.

there is one more set of conditions that can lead to this problem. if you have a cracked wrapper/binder to begin with and you are puffing away and trying to puff more to get past the crack, you are actually doing yourself a disservice.
    over zealous puffing will exacerbate the issue. the slower and softer that you draw the more likely you will be able to burn past the crack.

as one puffs the cigar the heat at the foot tends to expand the cigar slightly. when you puff faster, there is more heat and more expansion. if you puff low and slow the burn will be cooler and expand less dramatically.
    in short, you win the fight by relaxing and letting it go.