Home Ratings & Reviews

God of Fire Series B - Robusto Review

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭

God of Fire Series B Robusto has a Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrapper and varies quite a bit compared to the broadleaf maduro from the toro. Below is a mini review of the stick.

Like the Toro, this is a great looking cigar. The band and the wrapper make this stick look fantastic. Looks have never been an issue with the God of Fire line. Coming in at around 20 bucks for a single I would expect flawless construction and this guy is just that.

I just got these guys a couple of days ago so they are fairly fresh, though they are supposed to be aged 2 years. Either way I let them sit in the humi since I got them then let this single sit out for a few hours. The wrapper smells hayish like with a touch of sweetness. I used a punch.

After a bit of toasting the guy lights up even and after a few puffs I am getting a blast of spice and earthiness. Now when I say spice I don't mean "peppin" spice, I mean more a subtle spice so it's not in your face power. There's a touch of sweetness here too. Unlike the Toro with the broadleaf which had no spice at all.

Moving past the 1/3rd mark the burn is staying rather even, smoke output is about the same as other GOF's, not huge but enough to satisfy me. The aroma is pleasant, though not as sweet as the Toro. The flavors are about the same, lingering spice, some hay/earthiness, faint touch of sweetness and bits of coffee and cocoa.

After the half way point the burn gets a little uneven but it's easy to correct. The cigar seems to be about the same, the flavors are consistent. The spice is still there if not getting a bit stronger but not powerful. With the toro I felt the stick moved towards more of a full near this point but with the robusto I would say it's more of a medium to full. Either way it's very subjective.

After moving past the 1st band the cigar seems to be building up to more a fuller smoke. Again it's not strong just full (if that makes sense). I did pick up more of a tobacco flavor around this point mixed in with everything else I mentioned. Again anyone who enjoys the GOF line will tell you that they don't mix it up a lot in the flavor department, however subtle changes here and there.

Finishing up the cigar, everything as far as flavor has stayed the same. One thing I did notice is that the cigar isn't as cool as the Toro was. With the toro I couldn't feel any heat while holding it. But overall the cigar was very good. I really enjoy Ecuadorian Sun Grown wrappers and with the blend of the GOF I was really impressed.

Comparing the two Series B is hard. Both are great for their respected wrappers. The toro is a more sweet smoke while the robusto is more of a spicey smoke. Both are very different, which is a good thing, I mean at 200 bucks for 10 I would hope they would be. Below are some pics, enjoy.

BTW I paired this with fresh grounded hazelnut coffee just like the Toro.

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Out of curiousity, what did Iron Man smoke? I see him in the background... ;-) I need to get a box of each soon!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does ANYONE have one to two of these that they are willing to trade?? Plenty to trade and lots of high end rare stuff, PM if anyone will.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    90+ Irishman:
    Does ANYONE have one to two of these that they are willing to trade?? Plenty to trade and lots of high end rare stuff, PM if anyone will.
    Never had one of these. I rarely spend the money to buy cigars in that price range, and I'm not a huge Fuente fan. There are so many damned good cigars to be had at half their cost that I just can't really bring myself to do it very often.

So many cigars, so little time.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Out of curiousity, what did Iron Man smoke? I see him in the background... ;-) I need to get a box of each soon!
    ah yes, my other crutch. lol.
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Nice review, Thanks for it. I actually saw these the other day and was curious. I might have to go back and pick up a box of the Robusto, I like the spice.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Nice review bro. I might need to check around and see if I can find one of these after the holidays.
    Bucking W:
    Nice review, Thanks for it. I actually saw these the other day and was curious. I might have to go back and pick up a box of the Robusto, I like the spice.
    it's no tat or peppin stick mind you.
    Rob1110:
    Nice review bro. I might need to check around and see if I can find one of these after the holidays.
    shouldn't be something that goes away. I hear next year more sizes will be around. not sure about what wrappers and will be used.
    bumpy
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the nice review. I am a GOF fan, specially like Carlito because I like Camaroon. I bought couple of but didn't feel like to fire up one. Your review is telling me to smoke one soon. Did you get any caramel, sweet raisin flavor in it?
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review! I've been eying them up for a while now so I might have to pull the trigger
    Money can't buy taste
    rzaman:
    Thanks for the nice review. I am a GOF fan, specially like Carlito because I like Camaroon. I bought couple of but didn't feel like to fire up one. Your review is telling me to smoke one soon. Did you get any caramel, sweet raisin flavor in it?
    I don't think so, been a while since I smoked one. The only raisin flavor I have gotten was from an opus and it was subtle.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Nice reviews Pheebs., Can you declare a winner? Which did you prefer and why?
    Toro for sure. I enjoyed the flavor more. But I need to smoke a couple more to be sure.