Home Cigar 101

Are you an addict

Ok, I was having breakfast round at a mates house thismorning and he asked me what I was up to for the rest of the weekend, I told him I wasn't up to much except having a roast dinner, and after that smoking a cigar that I have been looking forward to smoking all week. He put it to me that he thinks the only reason I had been looking forwrd to that cigar (or any cigar for that matter ) was that I am addicted to the nicoteen in them. Now I used to smoke cigarettes and was definitely addicted to them, but I dont think that I am addicted to cigars. I never inhale the smoke and I only smoke about 4- 5 a week. Having said that I do miss them when I don't smoke them. What do you all think are you and I addicts or is it just a plesureable passtime?

Comments

• cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    I've slowed my smoking down in recent weeks, but would I consider myself an "addict?" It's not the nicotine I'm looking for, its the enjoyment factor..but I guess I really don't care. If I am classified as an addict..then I should be classified as a alcoholic and a sexual-deviant.
  • Henry1Henry1 Posts: 20
    cheyman:
    I've slowed my smoking down in recent weeks, but would I consider myself an "addict?" It's not the nicotine I'm looking for, its the enjoyment factor..but I guess I really don't care. If I am classified as an addict..then I should be classified as a alcoholic and a sexual-deviant.
    Yea true, I don't realy care if I am addicted, but I was just wondering how addictive people think smoking cigars is.
  • Considering how little nicotine you get compared to smoking a cigarette (and I don't know of any smoker that only smokes one cig a day or less) I think it'd be pretty damn hard to get physically addicted to cigars. Psychologically, maybe, but then you could argue that it's the overall experience of smoking cigars that's pleasurable. Frequent use of something doesn't equal addiction, but the bandwagoning "Smokers are EVIL!!!!" crowd would have you think different.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't feel it is an addiction because I don't feel physical withdrawals when I go without. Rather than being an addiction to a chemical, I think smoking cigars could be likened more to a psychological addiction, since you've come to anticipate an experience that brings you pleasure.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    since you've come to anticipate an experience that brings you pleasure.

hmmmm......well, that explains the burro....
    haha
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    j0z3r:
    I don't feel it is an addiction because I don't feel physical withdrawals when I go without. Rather than being an addiction to a chemical, I think smoking cigars could be likened more to a psychological addiction, since you've come to anticipate an experience that brings you pleasure.
    I agree with this. I can't wait till the next time I can smoke but I don't have any physical withdrawal symptoms if I don't
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311

j0z3r:

I also agree with Joe on this, and will go further and say that people that say cigar smokers are addicted to nicotine and look down on you or stick their nose up don't know how to relax.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im not addicted. I am passionate.

never once have i been having a stressful moment at work and HAD to run outside to get 5 minutes of a cigar in so i could "relax"

i dont wake up in the morning and have my first action of the day be lighting up a cigar.

i never CRAVE a cigar and get upset or worried about when i will get my next one.

the closest thing i have to addiction with cigars is discussing them. most of the pleasure i get out of cigars it the process of looking up online about them. I like to learn about them. I like to read about them. I like to discuss them. yes, i like to smoke cigars, but my life does not revolve around them.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I would say that I am not addicted. I enjoy cigars only when I have the time to relax with them.. This could be once a day, or it may be a week or longer between cigars. Sometimes I take one with me and just don't get around to lighting it up. I have never thought " I need a cigar ". I don't plan my life around smoking cigars. If for some health reason I had to stop today, I could do that too. ( after one last Opus X).
  • Henry1Henry1 Posts: 20
    yeah I agree completely with what everyone on here has said, but you can bet that if there where any non cigar smokers reading this they would say that we are all just in denial. In future I will just tell any of my non ciar smoking freinds that there is no way they can comment unless they smoke a few themselves lol
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311

kaspera79:
    I would say that I am not addicted. I enjoy cigars only when I have the time to relax with them.. This could be once a day, or it may be a week or longer between cigars. Sometimes I take one with me and just don't get around to lighting it up. I have never thought " I need a cigar ". I don't plan my life around smoking cigars. If for some health reason I had to stop today, I could do that too. ( after one last Opus X).

same here

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    ditto
  • "My name is Bill, and I'm a pussyocholiic, I like way it smells, the way it taste...."
    mustluvcigars:
    "My name is Bill, and I'm a pussyocholiic, I like way it smells, the way it taste...."
    HA! Love Bill Hicks.
  • he is great
    love his smoking bits
  • I dunno.....I know that smoking a cigar relaxes me more than a massage or drinks or conversation. I rarely smoke more than 3-4 a week, and in the winter months, way less (too dang cold outside). Maybe its denial, but to me its about relaxing and not worrying about what other people think....they can piss off :)