Home Cigar 101
Options

Wrapper/binder question

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Occasionally I'll have a wrapper split while I'm smoking and I've noticed that, in virtually every case, the wrapper is extremely thin and delicate while the binder looks to be coarser, thicker, etc. My question is: do wrapper leaves come from a particular place (priming?) on the plant or are only certain types of plant used for wrapper leaves?

Comments

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Varies, widely.

Seriously, actually. Wrappers can be thin, shade grown, low primings, or thick, toothy, sungrown, ligero. There are no definites, other than the fact that wrappers get pampered.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    to add to that a touch...
    the binder is usually kinda thick. i mean, it actually has to bind the cigar together. thin leaves wont hold em. wrappers dont bind anything. they can be thin.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Understood. But I've never seen a thick wrapper split. I guess that's self-explanatory, though, isn't it? I just assumed that wrapper leaves, by their very nature, were thin and fragile. Thanks for the input, guys.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Aesthetics have a lot to do with the wrapper. I could see that a vein-free leaf is going to be more fragile than a veiny one.