Home Cigar 101

Butane can issues

Refilling my lighter, and the butane can is spraying everywhere and the lighter is getting super cold. Im confused haha.

Comments

• Yeah I know how to fill it and did it just like that. Except when I pushed the nozzel to fill it there is a lot of butqne and propellent spraying everywhere.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    StrongStyle:
    Yeah I know how to fill it and did it just like that. Except when I pushed the nozzel to fill it there is a lot of butqne and propellent spraying everywhere.
    I have had some do that before, not sure what the cause is but I usually just take it off and try and reset it into the lighter...sorry I don't know a better way to do it
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    is the valve the correct size? they arent standard. you may have to check that.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I can't remember the brand but its a yellow can with a red top, has a bunch of "fittings" that come with it. I have to change between two fo them for different lighters. Maybe the size for the nozzle is incorrect for the lighter.
  • TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    StrongStyle:
    Yeah I know how to fill it and did it just like that. Except when I pushed the nozzel to fill it there is a lot of butqne and propellent spraying everywhere.
    I was just posting that to be funny not that I thought you didnt know how :)
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try pushing down on the can rapidly 4 or 5 times, saw this trick on a video once and it worked for me. Also it's recomended to purge any air out of your lighter before refilling.
    Rhamlin:
    Try pushing down on the can rapidly 4 or 5 times, saw this trick on a video once and it worked for me. Also it's recomended to purge any air out of your lighter before refilling.
    Never saw that video Teeje I just learned something new thanks.
  • dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    is the valve the correct size? they arent standard. you may have to check that.
    I have several lighters...with two different size valves. All I use is Xikar fuel and it has a set of adapters that'll fit/fuel all types of lighters.

when a lighter is completely full, and the pressure in the tank is equal to the pressure in the can, some butane will spray out around the tube when the valve is depressed and released.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Sounds like the tank is either full already, or has a bunch of air in it.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Teege:
    Very Nice video Teege! Thank You
    Yeah I just let out the propellant like it said( I've been doing it wrong) now it works better than when I got it.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    the octane shouldnt mean anything in this case... octane is the fuel's resistance to knock/pre-detonation.. you really just want purity... but whatever, lmao

As others have said, purge air from the empty lighter if anything, then just 2 or 3 second push downs to fill up. If it's spraying out all over, either the fitting isnt right, or the valve on the can is crap and you need a new can. I have 3 cans in my house, and one I got to use once... then it just started spraying everywhere... sucks.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I've had that, it's that the plastic tip isn't seated properly on the nozzle to fill it.

I've had a Rocky Patel lighter that had the inside contents shift and the can wasn't making good contact, had to insert the nozzle at an angle then it would work decent.
  • Didn't realize they weren't standard sized. Think I have my issue.
  • SuperK420SuperK420 Posts: 2

So on the tip of the broken can use hot glue all on the bottom of the nozzle i did and it seems to be working feeling up my torch and i find this crazy but my can wad brand new and worked great tell i went to fill up a friends torch and the tip on butane can started leaking and i thought of hot glue and it works i hope this helps u all and good day

• SuperK420SuperK420 Posts: 2

• YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @SuperK420, what kind of cigars do you smoke?

I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • FelinaC85FelinaC85 Posts: 1

Make sure your lighter hasn't lost its seal!! So many times I've had this problem only to find that the little rubber/silicone o-ring that cushions the butane can's metal nozzle from the lighter's metal valve has gone M.I.A.

If this happens to be the case, you can pull a seal off a lesser torch OR, if you're feeling confident, snip super small strip of silicone from... something silicone, ie: reusable drinking straw, and with a pair of precision tweezers, fit that sucker in around the valve. Make sure its snug. Good luck!

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrongStyle said:
    Didn't realize they weren't standard sized. Think I have my issue.

Yeah, I found that out the hard way too.
    Why not standard?

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• A1CMetzA1CMetz Posts: 1

This may be a dumb question but, which of the adapters in the cap of my butane can is the universal tip. The original nozzle attached to the can ( lotus brand) will fill my Eagle torch, but it fills the depression in the bottom where the fill port sits with fuel also. It almost looks like the butane can itself is leaking at the point where the red nozzle hours into the can.

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that if there are multiple tips that none of them would actually be universal. If so, you would only need one. Look for any visible damage to the tip or the port of your lighter. Both can be softer materials that can be damaged if they have been forced together in an attempt to make a tighter seal.

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

@A1CMetz said:
    This may be a dumb question but, which of the adapters in the cap of my butane can is the universal tip. The original nozzle attached to the can ( lotus brand) will fill my Eagle torch, but it fills the depression in the bottom where the fill port sits with fuel also. It almost looks like the butane can itself is leaking at the point where the red nozzle hours into the can.

The red one attached to the can is the universal one.

Don't look ↑
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

@A1CMetz said:

The red one attached to the can is the universal one.

Frank is right. The one on the can will fit most lighters just fine. The others are there for when that one doesn't do it, and you'll just have to play with them to figure out which is best for you. All part of the experience.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain