Home General Discussion
Options

What type of smoker are you?

Well, the title says all. What type of smoker are you?

I am more of a collector/smoker and I smoke a couple time a month(especially during winter) and they usually are big names. I have no problem resting my cigars.

Comments

• Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    I'm a smoker first, collector a far second. I smoke almost every day, can't afford to do more than one a day. These things aren't cheap you know! Lol. But as I get more into things, I would like to collect more as my wallet, and wife, allows.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    It really depends because I also smoke a pipe as well. Sometimes I'll have just a pipe here and there throughout the day and other times I'll have a pipe here and there and a cigar at night or a couple to few cigars throughout the day and night and no pipe at all.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    weekend warrior unless I can get to my B&M during the week. Usualy smoke 2 sticks when im at the shop. Smoke 5-6 sticks over the weekend.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i smoke twice or so a week. more in the summer.
    i like to read about cigars and research new things about them. i like the learning aspect of them very much.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoke 3-4 a week usually.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually burn one per day unless my child bride and I are on a camping trip with our club. Then I'll sometimes allow myself a second one. In warm weather I prefer to enjoy my cigar in the evening with a glass or three of good sippin' whiskey but during the winter months I wait until it warms up out on my patio and fire one up around mid-day.
  • Options
    IrishAJIrishAJ Posts: 135
    Social. I smoke cigars only when Brett and I visit the B&M or we're out in the garage with dad tossing back beers and watching a game.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IrishAJ:
    Social. I smoke cigars only when Brett and I visit the B&M or we're out in the garage with dad tossing back beers and watching a game.
    Yes, she DID just say she drinks beer, watches sports, smokes cigars and loves hanging out in a garage..... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.... JACKPOT!!!

"When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Collection? Forget that! I want to smoke them all!
  • Options
    IrishAJIrishAJ Posts: 135
    90+ Irishman:
    IrishAJ:
    Yes, she DID just say she drinks beer, watches sports, smokes cigars and loves hanging out in a garage..... HOLY MOTHER OF GOD.... JACKPOT!!!

So I like a good baseball game (especially the Rockies, ALL HAIL HELTON! and Fowler...when he's not being a drama king) But I'm not all into the fruity drinks all the time, if I'm going to have a choice I want a beer (or almond tequilla) what's so wrong about that?
  • Options
    JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    IrishAJ:
    90+ Irishman:
    IrishAJ:

So I like a good baseball game (especially the Rockies, ALL HAIL HELTON! and Fowler...when he's not being a drama king) But I'm not all into the fruity drinks all the time, if I'm going to have a choice I want a beer (or almond tequilla) what's so wrong about that?
    Wow. Keep her brother.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHewey:
    IrishAJ:
    90+ Irishman:
    IrishAJ:

Wow. Keep her brother.
    My sentiments exactly.... and thank you, I will :) I think it's safe to say, I am one lucky S O B
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Katt68Katt68 Posts: 124
    I am a one a day smoker, sometimes two or EVEN THREE! In the summer at the lake it is a few per day BRING THE SUMMER BACK! Brett you sound like my hubby. :). AJ I am with you lady, I also like to hang out and watch sports, drink beer( a nice dark, carmely one 8%) and have a smoke. Also CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO TEXT LINK THESE DARN THINGS!!!
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Katt68:
    I am a one a day smoker, sometimes two or EVEN THREE! In the summer at the lake it is a few per day BRING THE SUMMER BACK! Brett you sound like my hubby. :). AJ I am with you lady, I also like to hang out and watch sports, drink beer( a nice dark, carmely one 8%) and have a smoke. Also CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO TEXT LINK THESE DARN THINGS!!!
    Quote my response and you will see.... What you want the link to say
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    IrishAJ:
    90+ Irishman:
    IrishAJ:

All good except for the Rockies part...lol...by the way, good to see you've come on here to shoot the s*** with us a little. Glad to have you.....Eric.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I collect more than I smoke. I'm not sure why that is honestly. I have a nice collection of what I would consider premium smokes (not necessarily the most expensive but the ones I like the best so far). I like to try new blends too. I fully intend on smoking each and everyone (eventually). I normally have 1-4 month unless I'm on vacation. Then I'll usually have one per day. I look at smoking a cigar like a treat. I only do it when I know I'll have an hour or so to myself undisturbed. (not too often these days).
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    90+ Irishman:
    IrishAJ:

Yea, you DID hit the jackpot! My wife knows more football than any of my friends, and she loves Guiness, but she wouldn't be caught dead in the garage or near a cigar. When visiting Ireland last spring, we found the family cemetary where many of her relatives are buried,and we went to the town where her great-grandfather immigrated out of Ireland to the US in the late 1840's. That was kind of special.

I usually enjoy three or four cigars a week, nearly always inthe evening after work withmy feet up and paired up with a dark beer or a bourbon or some other whiskey. I try to collect, but I tend to smoke my favorites pretty quick. However, I can leave an expensive cigar alone, saving them for special occasions.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    I lit up my first cigar more than 30 years ago. What kind of a smoker am I? The kind that can drop the habbit for more than a year and then get right serious with it, then drop it again. In the past few years, I have become a collector and more serious about smoking to relax. An injury sidelined me over 7 years ago and life has never been the same. A cigar is "pain management" at it's best, so I guess that's why I'm a collector and a smoker on a regular basis compared to the previous years.

As a Canadian, I am in the minority. Not many cigar smokers this far north and the price of a single here could buy an entire box of them in the U.S.

How serious is my collection? Some of my sticks are valued at over $100/stick and almost impossible to find. Cohiba Reserva humidor of 30 (various sizes) from 2002 for example. To me, that's serious collection/smoking right there!

For this year I fall into the serious about collecting/smoking. Next year, who knows?

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I will have a couple sticks during the week and 3 or so a day on the weekends. I had bought a humi but it was too big so I started using it to store my plastic model parts in lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I'm a social smoker. I love hanging out and meeting people - I've found that every person I've met or talked within the cigar world is cool as hell. So, right now I have about 1-2 biweekly. However, I usually have 1-3 when not smoking alone.
  • Options
    I really only smoke by myself to relax about once a month. Other than that I smoke on business trips with the bosses boss type people. My company is alot of old money. Its all cigars, scotch, and golf at the top.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    I smoke about 10 - 15 a week and I also collect. I like to study about tobacco also, it amazes me how different tobacco can be depending on where/how it was grown, what part of the plant it comes from and how it is cured.
    What a great hobby.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Been smoking for the better part of a decade now, after giving up chew, but only really into the hobby for the past 3-4 years, and I've learned more since joining the forums than I did in all my previous time. I smoke about once or twice per week, usually one cigar, but sometimes 2 in a sitting if I'm with friends. For me the hobby is all about relaxing so I only smoke when I have time, and when time is tight I'll msis a few weeks at a time knowing that I'll make up for it when I have some more time. I treat my cigars like my weekly reset button. When I need some "me time" I go away for a while with the cigar and come back a new man.

I really enjoy the learning aspect of it because thats fun for me, but I don't stress the palate part of it becuase developing my palate started to feel like work, so I stopped doing that and just went back to liking what I like and not worry abouthow to describe the flavors. I'm def more about the smoking aspect than collecting, but that being said I like buying by the box and it takes me a while to get through a box at the rate I smoke. So I usually end up with a decent stash of decently rested/aged sticks, although none are rare or considered super premium. And thats pretty much my cigar world.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    scarlin:
    Well, the title says all. What type of smoker are you?

I am more of a collector/smoker and I smoke a couple time a month(especially during winter) and they usually are big names. I have no problem resting my cigars.
    Same here. I like the collection aspect as well as the camaraderie with the local BotL
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I smoke any time I get the change. If I am going on a longer drive I will purposely take my A4 cause I smoke in it. I don't smoke in my S4 except for one time when my other car was in the shop. However, I am also a collector. I have stuff that I bought easily 6 years ago and stuff that was made long before that like the Partagas 150. I usually smoke 1 a year each of my collectable stuff like GoF, Opus X Maduro, Part 150, Padron 1926, ISOMs, Forum Blend, Armadas, etc...
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Ex cigarette smoker here. 2 - 3 a day.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    In reality I probably smoke 1-2 a week if the weather is nice. If not then I could go for a stretch without especially in winter. I probably have 300-400 in the humi currently. I never buy samplers and don't like anything mild. Maduros in the Torp or Toro size are the preferred sizes although recently got turned on to a large corona size (last year) when I bought a box of PDR BOTL Small Batch 2010. Recent purchases include a box of My Father Cremas, box of PDR 1878 Oscuro Toros, and box of Liga #9 Toros.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I'm a smoker, transitioning into collector...slowly. I used to buy 5-10 pks. Lately I've been trying to buy boxes so I can smoke a few and put a few back for later. But I'll always be a smoker first!! If you can't smoke 'em, why buy 'em? I enjoy the tobacco hobby to smoke and share!

I have about 1-3 a week. Depending if I get off work early enough to smoke one. I usually smoke one at work with the fellas on Fridays, then maybe one on Saturday and Sunday. I'll try to sneak one in after work if I'm tinkering in the garage.
  • Options
    Katt68Katt68 Posts: 124
    Teege:
    Katt68:
    Quote my response and you will see.... What you want the link to say
    YEAHHHH I FINALLY GET THIS THANKS!!!
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    2-3 per day, lately with the colder temps I'm skipping my mild morning smoke and enjoy 2, usually mild or med afternoon and a full in the evening... I still buy more than I smoke, and I'd like to cut back to smoking 10 a week.