Home Cigar 101

Long term aging?

What are some thoughts on leaving the boxes open or closed in my cabinet humidor for aging? For instance my A. Fuente opus x boxes are like a small humi, does the box need to be vented?

Comments

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I would leave them cracked open and not fully sealed
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    makes no difference.

there will be some that tell you that you have to have cigars in sealed boxes for a cigar to get real age; but you dont.

there is also some debate on if types different types of cigars should be next to each other for years and years.
    if you keep the cellophane on then it doesnt matter. if you take it off, then i would separate.
    as far as should you keep cellophane on or take it off... that is personal preference. i keep mine on.
  • Leave them shut, or open them.... Doesn't matter. Air gets in and out regardless of which way you store them
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    brettdub33:
    What are some thoughts on leaving the boxes open or closed in my cabinet humidor for aging? For instance my A. Fuente opus x boxes are like a small humi, does the box need to be vented?
    When I age my cigars, I take the original box they came in, remove the lid, and drill holes in the sides and bottom of the box to alllow air flow. I also remove the celo, that way they get the best of everything - segregation from other sticks, and plentiful air movement around them.
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    JDH:
    brettdub33:
    When I age my cigars, I take the original box they came in, remove the lid, and drill holes in the sides and bottom of the box to alllow air flow. I also remove the celo, that way they get the best of everything - segregation from other sticks, and plentiful air movement around them.

I like JDH idea but I won't go as far as drilling holes in my box. I agree with everyone here about it really doesn't matter and it is really however you prefer. What I like to do is take the top off the box as well and the celo wrappers. I believe in letting them breath fully if your really going to age them. segregation is important if you remove the celo and have them aging a long time why I keep them in the box so they don't mix with other brands. If your Opus are segregated alone in your small humi take them out, undress them and put them to bed for awhile.
    By the way we charge a small fee for advice around here, So I think a Opus sent my way wouldn't hurt. LOL.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    JDH:
    Pretty much none of this will have any effect on aging unfortunately, and all you've done is destroy a perfectly beautiful box. Cellophane breathes, and most cigar boxes are not so tightly sealed that they don't breathe perfectly fine.
    docbp87:
    JDH:
    Pretty much none of this will have any effect on aging unfortunately, and all you've done is destroy a perfectly beautiful box. Cellophane breathes, and most cigar boxes are not so tightly sealed that they don't breathe perfectly fine.
    Yea, yea, but I've satisfied my **** retentative qualities, and enjoyed puttering around in the garage for an hour or so. I could have taken the box out and used it for target practice, but at least I made something that's semi-useful.
    JDH:
    docbp87:
    JDH:
    Yea, yea, but I've satisfied my **** retentative qualities, and enjoyed puttering around in the garage for an hour or so. I could have taken the box out and used it for target practice, but at least I made something that's semi-useful.

I'm not to concerned about destroying a cigar box, I've tinkered in the garage and made a really nice desk top out of several boxes. Like you JDH I have those same qualities, my humi is more organized than my closet.
    One last thing on the Cellophane, Cellophane protects cigars from losing too much humidity during transport as well as protection. So if it used to keep humidity in, how does your Cigar breath with it on?
    Whether the cellophane should be removed or not is also a question of taste. On one hand, removing the cellophane supports the desired aging process of the cigar and is the preferred option from an aesthetic point of view. On the other hand, keeping the cellophane wrap on will protect cigars against the mixing of flavors of different cigar tobaccos. Consequently, if no divider is available for the humidor and the mix of flavors is to be prevented, then storing cigars with cellophane in the humidor might be your best option. This is where my **** retentive comes to play because I keep everything separated by origin of the cigar. As you can see it's a matter of opinion, belief, and taste. Whatever you choose just enjoy them.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't put a sealed box away for years. I've heard horror stories about that. Better safe than sorry, open/inspect then after a year or three you can open and check again. To each his own but for me, that's the way I do it.
    Bucking W:
    JDH:
    docbp87:
    JDH:

I'm not to concerned about destroying a cigar box, I've tinkered in the garage and made a really nice desk top out of several boxes. Like you JDH I have those same qualities, my humi is more organized than my closet.
    One last thing on the Cellophane, Cellophane protects cigars from losing too much humidity during transport as well as protection. So if it used to keep humidity in, how does your Cigar breath with it on?
    Whether the cellophane should be removed or not is also a question of taste. On one hand, removing the cellophane supports the desired aging process of the cigar and is the preferred option from an aesthetic point of view. On the other hand, keeping the cellophane wrap on will protect cigars against the mixing of flavors of different cigar tobaccos. Consequently, if no divider is available for the humidor and the mix of flavors is to be prevented, then storing cigars with cellophane in the humidor might be your best option. This is where my **** retentive comes to play because I keep everything separated by origin of the cigar. As you can see it's a matter of opinion, belief, and taste. Whatever you choose just enjoy them.
    Regarding the age old delima of "should I take the celo off or leave it on" question: I've been told that if you like to paw around in your humidor a lot and handle the cigars all the time, then leave e'm covered for protection FROM YOUR BIG OLE FINGERS, but if you just put 'em where you want 'em and leave 'em alone, then take the celos off. Segregating them make sense to me, and I like making stuff with my dremmel, so it was fun to make little "racks" for the cigars that are going to be left alone for over 6 months at a time.
    For long term I go aging(stuff I want to sit down for 1+years) I age in my cedar trays or cabinets, not dress boxes. But most everything else is in cello due to 1-I might trade it and 2-It might be moving around a lot.
    ...actually, the best use for an empty cigar box I've found so far is to organize a lot of the stuff in my woodshop, or for use as dividers in some of our utility drawers in the kitchen. I've taken some of the more decorative boxes, lined them with felt, and made jewlery storage for my wife, which she likes. They also make great fire starter in the dead of winter in the fireplace, and they're fun to shoot with the shotgun.
    Jewelry box I will have to do that. Here you go JD "Pull"....
    Bucking W:
    The MOW box might make a nice jewlery case.
    JDH:
    Bucking W:
    The MOW box might make a nice jewlery case.
    Local BotL made it into a cribbage board, pretty awesome lookin
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Cellophane does not in any way stop any humidity from moving to or from your cigars. Cellophane by nature breathes. it lets moisture in and out. even if there wasnt a giant cigar shaped hole a the end of the tube of cellophane the cigar is in, it would not be moisture tight.

do not think that cellophane has any control or protection over humidity issues. it does not.
    your cigar will age just the same with cellophane on or cellophane off if all the cigars next to it are the same.