Home Ratings & Reviews

Tat black vs red tubos.

I smoked each of these for the first time in the last few days. They are two of the tastiest cigars I can recall smoking. The black tubo is more subtle, with hints of caramelized flavors and soft spice in the nose. It's a smoke that begs to be paid attention to. The red tubo isn't quite as esoteric. It's flavors, although difficult for me to describe, present themselves readily from start to finish. It doesn't demand as much attention to figure out what is happening.

Perhaps a good analogy is to say the red tubo is a great short story, with a clearly defined plot line and characters you come to know and love quickly. The black tubo is more a great work of poetry, just as entertaining in it's own right, but requiring more attention and a few re-reads before you can really grasp it completely. In fact, it that sense, the black tubo is more mysterious and intriguing and therefore would pull me back in more quickly than the red.

The black did have some of the expected burn issues, but never threatened to go out. Perhaps more important the burn issues is the fact that it just didn't put out a lot of smoke in general. The red produced plenty of smoke and only needed a minor touch up or two.

In all, I see why these are highly sought after. Great smoking experiences.

Comments

• OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    I have one of each of these resting. I think I'll have to try one soon. Great analogy brother. I am dually intrigued.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I don't have either of these. Now I will have to try to get some in the humi.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I have had both and I preferred the Black to the Red.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed them. I never really did like the red and the black, well I liked some of them I burned. Other's like you said burned horribly and seemed that the flavor wasn't there for me.
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    my fave of the 2 were the black tubo. neither were in my top picks thou
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never had any Tatuaje Tubo and they aren't sold in Colorado that I can find and don't know of any BOTL that has more than one and it's poor taste to ask for the last of something like that. If any of y'all come across another or have extras let me know. Great read and truly intriguing!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    pm
  • 415415 Posts: 951
    the red is a nice smoke , so is the black. my b&m has a few boxes of them left, but they arnt cheap
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    90+ Irishman:
    Never had any Tatuaje Tubo and they aren't sold in Colorado that I can find and don't know of any BOTL that has more than one and it's poor taste to ask for the last of something like that. If any of y'all come across another or have extras let me know. Great read and truly intriguing!

Check your PM. I'm in Colorado. Running by tomorrow to pick some up for another botl. If you don't want to drive from Longmont, I'm happy to pick some up for you and ship them.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    If anyone finds these, they would be wise to pick up the blacks for sure. The reds are starting to lose their oomph in my opinion. When first released, the Reds were FAAAAAR superior to the Black, but things have reversed, and after some sleep, the Black Tubos seem to really have come into their own.