Home Cigar 101

Theoretically....

The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
Here's one out of left field... some members here have suggested using baking soda to remove unwanted scents from coolidors. So what would happen if a guy, a dude, a regular joe like myself (shout out to Beetlejuice - GOOGLE IT) were to put the baking soda in the coolidor WITH the sticks? Would it have an averse affect on the cigars or not?

Also, any guesstimates on how long the baking soda would have to be in an empty cooler before the scents it was there to remove were gone?

Thanks folks! :-)

Comments

• DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Don't see why it couldn't work., would draw away some moisture right?. Activated charcoal could probably work to
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    Here's one out of left field... some members here have suggested using baking soda to remove unwanted scents from coolidors. So what would happen if a guy, a dude, a regular joe like myself (shout out to Beetlejuice - GOOGLE IT) were to put the baking soda in the coolidor WITH the sticks? Would it have an averse affect on the cigars or not?

Also, any guesstimates on how long the baking soda would have to be in an empty cooler before the scents it was there to remove were gone?

Well, not having tried it in the manner you're suggesting, my guess would be that if you put it in with the sticks, it would absorb that lovely tobacco scent that is so helpful in the aging/mellowing process. And in answer to your second question, a few days to a week ought to suffice to get smells out of an empty coolidor. Remember, though, opinions are like a$$holes - everybody's got one.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    jlmarta:
    The Sniper:

Remember, though, opinions are like a$$holes - everybody's got one.
    and Glen's is all sorts of worn out and stinky. Gotta lay off the burritos brother!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jlmarta:
    The Sniper:

Well, not having tried it in the manner you're suggesting, my guess would be that if you put it in with the sticks, it would absorb that lovely tobacco scent that is so helpful in the aging/mellowing process. And in answer to your second question, a few days to a week ought to suffice to get smells out of an empty coolidor. Remember, though, opinions are like a$$holes - everybody's got one.
    +1 I would also be worried the Baking Soda would work against my humidification device.
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Don't do it with cigars. It will suck the moisture out of them. But doing it to an empty would be just fine. That's just my a$$hole. LOL
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    ENFIDL:
    jlmarta:
    The Sniper:

and Glen's is all sorts of worn out and stinky. Gotta lay off the burritos brother!
    LMAO!!! Tha'ts from too many years of government service brother, NOT my beloved cheap gas station burritos. :-)

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Thanks for the help fellas.

• ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    The Sniper:
    ENFIDL:
    jlmarta:
    The Sniper:

LMAO!!! Tha'ts from too many years of government service brother, NOT my beloved cheap gas station burritos. :-)

The green weenie strikes again! lmao!
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    keep enough cedar in there and your bound to get the plastic to smell like sweet wood and tobacco, not the other way around! lol