Home Cigar 101

Inhaling?

OK, probably a dumb question, even for a rookie like me, but didn't see an answer anywhere. Why are you not supposed to inhale a cigar? Is it just proper etiquette, or is there other reasons? I am a cigarette smoker, and it just comes as second nature to do so. I catch myself doing it, and stop, but now I am wondering why I shouldn't be doing it. Thanks all, and Merry Christmas.

Comments

• DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Smoking a cigar is all about tasting the flavours of the cigar. Inhaling would serve no purpose in doing that and in fact probably make you sick and certainly is not healthy....It will take some time to be able to pick up tastes from the cigar, especially subtle tastes, keep at it and it will come...Here's a good thread to read CLICK ME
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Speaking as someone who has smoked less than 100 cigarettes in my life, inhaling cigar smoke is very irritating to my throat and windpipe. I think that's the main reason not to inhale. Keep in mind also, cigarette tobacco is chemically treated in many ways, one of which is to go down smooth when inhaled, cigar tobacco receives no such treatment and is much more harsh when inhaled.
  • I have probably inhaled a cigar more often than not, just force of habit I suppose, and it has never made me sick, or irritated me in anyway. I guess that's a lot of why I didn't see the issue with it. I have heard countless times not to inhale, but nobody that ever said that couldn't answer me when I asked why. I see the point about enjoying the flavor though, I never thought about that... I wasn't sure if it was just an etiquette thing or not, that's why I came to the experts.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Leon1072:
    I have probably inhaled a cigar more often than not, just force of habit I suppose, and it has never made me sick, or irritated me in anyway. I guess that's a lot of why I didn't see the issue with it. I have heard countless times not to inhale, but nobody that ever said that couldn't answer me when I asked why. I see the point about enjoying the flavor though, I never thought about that... I wasn't sure if it was just an etiquette thing or not, that's why I came to the experts.
    oh... and cigars have no filters. if you are ok with that, who am i to stop you?
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Leon1072:
    I have probably inhaled a cigar more often than not, just force of habit I suppose, and it has never made me sick, or irritated me in anyway. I guess that's a lot of why I didn't see the issue with it. I have heard countless times not to inhale, but nobody that ever said that couldn't answer me when I asked why. I see the point about enjoying the flavor though, I never thought about that... I wasn't sure if it was just an etiquette thing or not, that's why I came to the experts.
    oh... and cigars have no filters. if you are ok with that, who am i to stop you?
    Good luck on that idea but I would like to watch
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I smoked for 20 years or so. Before quitting 5 years ago...the times I have inhaled cigar smoke has been way harsher than any nonfilter cigarette I smoked
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Ex cigarette smoker here. You'll get over it. Then you'll wonder why you did.
  • Not saying that I want to inhale, just catch myself doing quite a bit. I really didn't see why I have been told not to, just figuring out the reason. I am planning on quitting smoking cigarettes the first of the year, the typical new years resolution. This will also possibly enjoy a good cigar more. So wish me luck...
    Leon1072:
    Not saying that I want to inhale, just catch myself doing quite a bit. I really didn't see why I have been told not to, just figuring out the reason. I am planning on quitting smoking cigarettes the first of the year, the typical new years resolution. This will also possibly enjoy a good cigar more. So wish me luck...
    You got it dooood. All the luck I can wish for ya.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    Leon1072:
    Not saying that I want to inhale, just catch myself doing quite a bit. I really didn't see why I have been told not to, just figuring out the reason. I am planning on quitting smoking cigarettes the first of the year, the typical new years resolution. This will also possibly enjoy a good cigar more. So wish me luck...
    You got it dooood. All the luck I can wish for ya.

And for the principal reason not to inhale, flavor notwithstanding, if you'd like, I could always post a photo of the scar in the center of my chest. I'm talking heart disease, my friend. And, yes, I used all the excuses any cigarette smoker ever uses to defend my habit. People always think of lung cancer in connection with smoking cigarettes but hardly anyone thinks of heart disease.

I could probably bore you for hours regarding the aspect of health and relevant statistics but suffice it to say that there is virtually no risk of either heart disease or cancer as long as you don't inhale your cigars.
  • spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    I inhale from time to time. I never take the whole "puff/drag" into my lungs, but it does happen when retrohaling. One thing for sure, the flavor/experience changes when I do. That said, in order for me to experience all of the changes and tastes that a good stick has to offer, I concentrate on not inhaling. Also, I find myself finishing a stick faster when inhaling occurs for some reason. I believe that concentrating on the event slows down my pace while smoking. Also, by slowing down the process it gives the cigar more time to live up to it's potential. I am a believer that there isn't a right or wrong way to smoke a cigar, just enjoy it..
  • Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    Leon1072:
    My nephew wanted to quit the cigs as well, he went to Cigars and loves it.
  • dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    But inhaling the cigar kind of kills the purpose of quitting the cigarettes...
    dowjr1:
    But inhaling the cigar kind of kills the purpose of quitting the cigarettes...

Not if you have a look at the mortality statistics of cigarette smokers.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Because if you continue to do so, you will have the unique experience of actually FEELING a lung collapse. Sooner rather than later. LOL

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck quitting the cigs brother. I'm sure you'll find after you do that you will discover even more flavor in your favorite sticks.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Inhale cigars? Dude that stuff will kill you!
    I caught the hiccups while drawing in off a stick. Couldn't breath for 10 minutes after that.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I've said this before and I will say it again now... your lungs are a huge filter set. If you inhale your cigar it will COMPLETELY change the flavor profile of the cigar. If you don't care how your cigars taste, go ahead. If you actually want to enjoy a premium cigar, don't inhale the damn thing.
    BigT06:
    I've said this before and I will say it again now... your lungs are a huge filter set. If you inhale your cigar it will COMPLETELY change the flavor profile of the cigar. If you don't care how your cigars taste, go ahead. If you actually want to enjoy a premium cigar, don't inhale the damn thing.

I like the way you think.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leon1072:
    Hey bruddah! As most know I USED to inhale any and all cigars... key word used to. I was a cigarette smoker for years, talking 2+ packs a day of Camel Menthol Wides.... A few months ago I purposefully made an effort to quit inhaling and it has made all the difference in my palate as well as the enjoyment of the smoke itself.

Put simply, your lungs are a filter, so inhaling the cigar actually filters out a large part of the subtlety and nuances of the bouquet of the cigar and drastically changes what it tastes like... specifically for me, made it much more bitter and peppery, both things I do not enjoy in a cigar. Try not inhaling, but work on retrohaling, ie. pushing the smoke out through your nose after you have blown out the first half of the smoke that you initially pulled into your mouth.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Ex cigarette smoker here. You'll get over it. Then you'll wonder why you did.
    +1, exactly
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • I've smoked cigs for 35+ years, and whenever I used to smoke a mild cigar (Ashton, Macanudo, etc.) I would find myself inhaling. I currently mostly smoke medium-full and full bodied cigars, and the inhaling took care of itself. Seriously, one inhale of, say, a Man-O-War Ruination will teach you! I fully enjoy my sticks now and stay away from the milder ones as I really no longer like them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Hippiebrian:
    I fully enjoy my sticks now and stay away from the milder ones as I really no longer like them.
    oh man. you are missing out. there are TONS of good mild cigars out there.
  • kuzi16:
    Hippiebrian:
    I fully enjoy my sticks now and stay away from the milder ones as I really no longer like them.
    oh man. you are missing out. there are TONS of good mild cigars out there.

Not dissing them, just don't enjoy them personally. As a second thought here, to satisfy my little inhale craving I have an e-cig and really enjoy that too...want to learn more about them, p.m. me.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Speaking as someone who has smoked less than 100 cigarettes in my life, inhaling cigar smoke is very irritating to my throat and windpipe. I think that's the main reason not to inhale. Keep in mind also, cigarette tobacco is chemically treated in many ways, one of which is to go down smooth when inhaled, cigar tobacco receives no such treatment and is much more harsh when inhaled.
    Is that the only purpose of the chem treatment? At any rate I learned something today! lol. ....and yeah don't inhale cigars, not good.