Home Cigar 101

Urgent hygrometer help!!!

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
Hey all,
I recently purchased another hygrometer for my 2nd humi and a calibration kit with it. I couldn't get the hygrometer calibrated so I tried the other, no luck. So now I am stuck with 2 uncalibrated hygrometers and a recent cigar I smoked went out 3 times. One reads 62 while the other 69

Comments

• Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    This may not be much help, but always go with a digital.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Steve2010:
    This may not be much help, but always go with a digital.
    They are both digital :P.
  • jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
    I got one that is great, recently I got another with a knob on front, it is a PAIN to calibrate ...digital but the knob sucks......best advice I can give is to keep playing with it till u get it calibrated..
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Anyone have any good ones that are easy to operate that I can find for a reasonable price?
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    I have a HumiCare in both of my 100 cts. $19.99 each on the sister site. They come calibrated, so as long as you don't mess with the knobs, its a no-brainer to use. For the peace of mind, it's definitely worth the investment.
  • greg2648greg2648 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭
    Spencer, I have 4 Xikars that never miss a beat. Good Luck.
  • Steve2010:
    I have a HumiCare in both of my 100 cts. $19.99 each on the sister site. They come calibrated, so as long as you don't mess with the knobs, its a no-brainer to use. For the peace of mind, it's definitely worth the investment.
    same here, its very reliable and easy to use..go with humicare.
  • spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    greg2648:
    +1 and then some...........
  • jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
    spindrift:
    greg2648:
    +1 and then some...........
    Xikar is what my best one is...tried another type with the knob and hate the knob type.....xikar is easy..
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    So if i read this correct, you have 2 hygrometers...one 62 and one 69. 62 is def alarming though but not tooo bad. In your situation, I would put both hygors in the same bag with a salt test! Test both at the same time! If they are adjustable, adjust both to say 75. Shouldn't take more than 12 hrs. or so and the 62 rh will be fine for a minute. Then you can adjust as necessary, but you should try to solve the root of the problem first...how to accuratley monitor rH. You've been here for good minute, I'm sure you're already doing this.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    So if i read this correct, you have 2 hygrometers...one 62 and one 69. 62 is def alarming though but not tooo bad. In your situation, I would put both hygors in the same bag with a salt test! Test both at the same time! If they are adjustable, adjust both to say 75. Shouldn't take more than 12 hrs. or so and the 62 rh will be fine for a minute. Then you can adjust as necessary, but you should try to solve the root of the problem first...how to accuratley monitor rH. You've been here for good minute, I'm sure you're already doing this.

I agree wholeheartedly about the salt test on both at once but I don't think 12 hrs is enough. 24 to 36 is what's in the instructions I got.

As for the 62 RH, that's actually where I prefer mine to get. I have 65% beads but if/when the RH happens to dip to 62 it's quite alright with me 'cause my sticks burn better at that level. I don't force it to 62 but I don't fight it, either.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    Anyone have any good ones that are easy to operate that I can find for a reasonable price?
    Spencer... go Xikar. I have the round adjustable digital hygrometer and calibrated it with the salt test.... it is rockin' and spot on and is simply a breeze to use and maintain... go Xikar.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was about to ask if you did a salt test, but someone's beaten me to it. I've got a colibri I got on eBay works great.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a local friendly B&M? If so, ask if you can stash your hygrometer(s) in their walk-in for a day and compare to what their hygros read.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    jr_p951:

I agree wholeheartedly about the salt test on both at once but I don't think 12 hrs is enough. 24 to 36 is what's in the instructions I got.

As for the 62 RH, that's actually where I prefer mine to get. I have 65% beads but if/when the RH happens to dip to 62 it's quite alright with me 'cause my sticks burn better at that level. I don't force it to 62 but I don't fight it, either.
    all of this is at worst decent advice.

62% is no need to panic.
    ... at LEAST 24 hours on the salt test in a dark space with constant temp.