Home Non Cigar Related

Electrical questions about conversions

So I bought my son an RC Car for Christmas. He loves it. Works great! But the charging time is awful! It takes 4 to 6 hours for a charge. I have a Harley that I use a small trickle charger on and was wondering if I would use the trickle charger for the RC Car. Here is the info:

RC Car Battery Info

2000mAH, 7.2V, Ni-MH battery

Current Charger Info:

7.5V, 500mA

Motorcycle trickle charger info:

12v @ 750mA

Does the volts matter? The milli-amps for the chargers are pretty close and still lower than the rc battery milli-amps.

I also have a car battery trickle charger, could I use the car battery trickle charger on the low 2 Amps setting? It doesn't say mA on it.

There has gotta be a way to charge the RC battery faster OTHER THAN buying the upgraded battery charger and bigger battery!

Comments

• MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    jr_p951:
    So I bought my son an RC Car for Christmas. He loves it. Works great! But the charging time is awful! It takes 4 to 6 hours for a charge. I have a Harley that I use a small trickle charger on and was wondering if I would use the trickle charger for the RC Car. Here is the info:

RC Car Battery Info

2000mAH, 7.2V, Ni-MH battery

Current Charger Info:

7.5V, 500mA

Motorcycle trickle charger info:

12v @ 750mA

Does the volts matter? The milli-amps for the chargers are pretty close and still lower than the rc battery milli-amps.

I also have a car battery trickle charger, could I use the car battery trickle charger on the low 2 Amps setting? It doesn't say mA on it.

There has gotta be a way to charge the RC battery faster OTHER THAN buying the upgraded battery charger and bigger battery!

I am not sure about using the trickle charger but I use to race off road RC years ago. I am pretty sure any hobby shop that sells these cars has a charger that will do a quick charge in like 15 to 20 minutes. It is what I had and it clips onto your car battery to operate.

One other trick we use to do to extend run time and pack a bigger charge was once the batteries where fully drained we put them in the fridge for a couple hours before charging. Then at the track we would store them on ice in the ice chest.

Been a long time since I did anything RC so I hope this helps a bit

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately , yes the volts matter. the trickle charger will also be outputting too much current (750ma)
    E=volts (times/multiplied) I=current (equals) P=Power .. In short You'll end up cooking that battery. I x E = P,,
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I went back to the store today and talked with them. At home we charged the rc battery for about 5 hours and it didn't do anything. They checked the car and it ran fine on the store battery. Then charged the car battery with the store charger and it ran fine. I was pretty much told sorry for such a crappy charger and they'd sell the upgraded charger for $45! That would re-charge the battery in about 20-30 min. I spent $150 on an RC Car and have to go back and spend another $45 on a second charger!! At this point, we don't have a charger that charges in the 4-6 hr...like the package says. His charger didn't charge at all. I'd hate to return the gift...since it was from Santa, but what other options do I have. Thats why i wanted to see if maybe I can use the motorcycle trickle charger. I could just buy the upgraded charger but what about buying a product that works like the description says? Thats not too much to ask for! All he wanted was an rc car. Of course he got more but this was the one item he was asking for. Crappy situation!!
    jr_p951:
    I went back to the store today and talked with them. At home we charged the rc battery for about 5 hours and it didn't do anything. They checked the car and it ran fine on the store battery. Then charged the car battery with the store charger and it ran fine. I was pretty much told sorry for such a crappy charger and they'd sell the upgraded charger for $45! That would re-charge the battery in about 20-30 min. I spent $150 on an RC Car and have to go back and spend another $45 on a second charger!! At this point, we don't have a charger that charges in the 4-6 hr...like the package says. His charger didn't charge at all. I'd hate to return the gift...since it was from Santa, but what other options do I have. Thats why i wanted to see if maybe I can use the motorcycle trickle charger. I could just buy the upgraded charger but what about buying a product that works like the description says? Thats not too much to ask for! All he wanted was an rc car. Of course he got more but this was the one item he was asking for. Crappy situation!!
    Yep that blows,, I would think they would discount the 2nd charger pretty significantly. Is it that particular RC car or can you maybe get another RC from another store
    They said all the rc chargers suck. Its a pretty big hobby store so I'm not sure I can get the rc charger any where. Its a pretty nice car, I got a smoking deal on Black Friday sale. I don't think Wal-Mart would have the charger.
    Radio shack may be able to help. Im sure they can find a universal charger with those specs, the connector would be the issue, If you bring in the battery they may be able to match something up.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jr_p951:
    They said all the rc chargers suck. Its a pretty big hobby store so I'm not sure I can get the rc charger any where. Its a pretty nice car, I got a smoking deal on Black Friday sale. I don't think Wal-Mart would have the charger.
    IF you do a search at Ebay for the item I bet you find something. There are so many obscure items for sale therenow that it is like a gigantic garage sale. If you have the proper specs. and names of what you are looking for... someone will have it posted there. Good luck.
    I know you don't want to here this Jr. but if it was you and not your son would you want to wait 4 to 6 hours between charges to play with your new toy especially if you only have one battery back. I know if it was me there would be no way I would wait that long. I know there is not going to be any cheap fix for this unless maybe someone on eBay has that quick charger for less then what the store wants for it or like Rudy said maybe radio shack might be able to help.

LoL! Mike you are absolutley correct! If it was me...I'd want a second battery and the upgraded quick charger!! Maybe I'll buy the upgraded charger this time and a new batter next payday!
    jr_p951:
    LoL! Mike you are absolutley correct! If it was me...I'd want a second battery and the upgraded quick charger!! Maybe I'll buy the upgraded charger this time and a new batter next payday!
    Good move Dad.....besides you will probably want to run a few charges yourself and test the car to make sure everything works correctly....that my friend falls into the category of a Dad thinking of his kid's safety and is totally acceptable despite the moans of "when do I get a turn" :o)

• jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    those batteries are tempermental, I would drop the coin on a good charger from a hobby shop, its worth it in the end and your batteries will serve you longer.
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    You absolutely don't want to use your twelve volt charger, you'll burn up the battery. That is, if it doesn't explode first.

You should have seen the mess my brother made when he hooked up a car charger to a six volt tractor battery.