Home Cigar 101

what do you think of bullet cutters?

whats everyones opinion on bullet cutters? ive never cut a cigar before so to me it looks like it would be really hard to screw it up with a bullet cutter..any opinions on this?

Comments

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I've never used one, but several people here like them, especially for large-gauge cigars.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I like to use them on cigars that have an especially loose draw, it helps to make the draw a little more to my liking by cutting down the air flow. Aside from those cigars, however, I'm more a fan of my Xikar cutter as sometimes the punch can help make a good draw a bit too tight.
    So do you punch first, then clip if the draw is tight?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    If it is a brand I know to have a loose draw, such as Perdomo on quite a few of the lines, I will tend towards a punch. But no, to answer your question, it is the cutter almost always unless I cut one and find it to have a very loose draw, then I'll use the punch on subsequent ventures with that same brand/line.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

j0z3r:
    If it is a brand I know to have a loose draw, such as Perdomo on quite a few of the lines, I will tend towards a punch. But no, to answer your question, it is the cutter almost always unless I cut one and find it to have a very loose draw, then I'll use the punch on subsequent ventures with that same brand/line.

hmmm...makes sense to me

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    gmill880:

j0z3r:

hmmm...makes sense to me

just remembered someone gave me a bullet cutter but i've never used it ....need to find that son of a gun....

gmill880:
    hmmm...makes sense to me
    Me, too. I need to pick up a cheap punch, sometime, and see if I like it. I've never tried one.
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I myself never leave home without a punch (I keep one on my keychain!) I find that punches are cleaner, in regards to that there are less little bits of tobacco that come from the cigar.

I've heard people say that punches increase the chances of tar buildup, but I've never had that problem.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    urbino:
    gmill880:
    hmmm...makes sense to me
    Me, too. I need to pick up a cheap punch, sometime, and see if I like it. I've never tried one.
    I did this. However, I think that most cheaper punches have a very small ring gauge. If I'm punching anything above a 50-ring, I tend to use the punch multiple times, which sort of ruins the beauty and elegance of the whole thing. I really like using it on 50-ring and smaller cigars. It's clean, easy, and stress-free. Not that a guillotine gives me stress, but I worry even less about problems with the punch. At some point, I'd like to get a larger-ring punch, but will probably have to spend more than the $2 I spend on my current cheapie :)
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I like using my punch, I only use a cutter for torpedos. I do need to get a double blade punch for the larger rings.
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    My lighter has 2 size punch built in and I love it.  If the small punch turns out to be not enough, I carefully re-punch with the larger.  That almost always does the trick.  If not, I'll carefully cut it but by then, cutting may be hard to do without messing it up.  So far I've been lucky and it's worked.

Obviously torpedoes get cut.