Home Cigar 101

Cigar size and smoking speed?

ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
Do these relate at all?  I am a relatively fast smoker.  I know I should slow down but I still find myself smoking too fast.

Today I had a San Lotano Oval and smoked that stick quick....30-45 minutes or so....and it tasted great the whole way through....

I've done this with corona's before (different brands) and they seemed to turn a bit harsh but I am not sure if it was the cigars or the size or the rate of smoking.

Do wider gauge cigars allow you to smoke quicker without the harshness associated with smoking too fast?

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ZAP:
    Do wider gauge cigars allow you to smoke quicker without the harshness associated with smoking too fast?
    yes.
    a larger ring will have a cooler smoke than a smaller ring. think of it this way:
    when you draw off of a cigar, more air will pass by a smaller spot than a larger spot. more air = more O2. more O2 is more combustion.

why is there more air over a spot?
    think of a very wide straw vs a very small straw.
    to get the same volume of air though a smaller straw you have to force more air through the same spot than in a larger straw.

many have a difficult time switching over to a smaller ring because there is a learning curve. you have to learn to slow down and keep it lit.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Kuzi said! A trick that got me to slow down so I could enjoy my sticks longer was to just sit it down for a minute or two between puffs which is usually enough time to read a post or two.
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭
    Duplicate...
  • ZAPZAP Posts: 186 ✭✭

Thanks for the info.  You always have great insight for us still learning the nuances of the hobby.

kuzi16:
    ZAP:
    yes.
    a larger ring will have a cooler smoke than a smaller ring. think of it this way:
    when you draw off of a cigar, more air will pass by a smaller spot than a larger spot. more air = more O2. more O2 is more combustion.

why is there more air over a spot?
    think of a very wide straw vs a very small straw.
    to get the same volume of air though a smaller straw you have to force more air through the same spot than in a larger straw.

many have a difficult time switching over to a smaller ring because there is a learning curve. you have to learn to slow down and keep it lit.