Home Cigar 101

Few setup questions

Hi all. I'm fairly new to the cigar world and have outgrown my 20-count humidor that I started with, with ease. I now plan on upgrading to a 100 count and have just a few questions.

1) I plan on not using the little "hockey puck" that comes with my humidor and buying one of the Humi-Care Cigar Gel on ccom. I just wet the stuff with distilled water and place the whole thing in my humidor? Is it safe to season with that as well?

2)For a humidor that size and it being the dead of winter where I am, how long, approximately, am I looking at for a season time?

3) I've lurked for a while now and value everyone's opinion. I wanted to buy the Man o'War humidor mostly based on it's outward appearance. Does anyone have this one and can vouch that it's a good product? Is there a 100+ count out there, in similar price range, that may not be aesthetically pleasing but better functioning?

Thanks all and I welcome your responses.

Comments

• jkallen83jkallen83 Posts: 142
    Check sizes of the humidor u buy...I bought a 120 count and it will NOT hold that many...I got a gel jar, not really impressive, I guess it works but not great...I got a cigar mechanic puck with beads and its awesome...main thing from my experience is see what size cigar u mostly have and get a humidor bigger than what u plan on.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you outgrew your 20 ct that fast and are thinking a 100 ct then I'd go with a 150 ct or bigger. And yes you can use that to season your humi but I'd also put a shot glass of dw in there to.
    Now that winters here it may take a week maybe less maybe more.
    one of those large humicare rectangles will probably be big enough but you might want to get a bead puck to. That's what I use and it works great
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have a few 120 count humidors that hold RH perfectly fine. the size has little to do with it. it is all about the seal and how it is seasoned and how full it is.
    i would recommend beads (just add distilled) instead of gel or Xikar humidity jars if you are set on a jar format. just add Xikar PG solution to those.

seasoning will take as long as it takes. there is no set time. just make sure that it is at 72% or more for over 48 hours to make sure it is good to go.

i also recommend that you buy a bigger humidor.
    as mentioned above i have a few 120 counts. if i knew then what i know now id just go to a 500ct right off.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Already have good advice. I want to echo the size of humidor. They can get expensive the larger they get but it's much easier to keep one set up right than many of them. Are you planning on getting boxes or just singles? if your moving toward boxes get a cabinet or set up a coolerdore. You can use plastic tubs Like I use too or use coolers from coleman or what not. For singles I recommend at least a 350 count. And keep in mind a 350 count will only hold roughly 155 or so cigars. But you will be amazed at how fast you fill it especially trying out stuff.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    ... but it's much easier to keep one set up right than many of them.
    this is totally my world right now. 4 humidors. all with their own little quirks.
  • PreebsPreebs Posts: 43
    Thank you for all of the advice. I do plan on only buying singles/samplers so I found a nice 300 count online and just purchased it. I also purchased one of these http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?prod=M-HMC06 as I believe was recommended earlier. Is this enough to properly regulate a 300 count humidor? Dimensions are 18" width x 11.25" depth x 10.25" height. I have been reading up on the coolidors and probably sometime in the future I'll be making one of those too. I greatly appreciate all of the advice. Now to plan more on what to buy once my big one is up and running.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    phobicsquirrel:
    ... but it's much easier to keep one set up right than many of them.
    this is totally my world right now. 4 humidors. all with their own little quirks.
    hehe, yeah I a few as well...