Home Cigar 101

New Heartfelt beads humidity tubes - Need advice....

I have a couple of humidors that until now have had 72% Boveda packs in them. I went 72 to compensate for loss in the wood and usually dry AZ climate. They usually hold between 66 & 68 and have been very reliable.

Santa brought me the heartfelt tubes (70%) and they were very dry when I opened them. I charged as instructed and dropped them in removing the Boveda packs and the humidity dropped and has remained at 57-59. Also, according to the calculator on the heartfelt site these tubes should be oversized for the humidors I am using

I am placing them in the bottom of the humidor and my hygrometer is in the top, does it matter where I put them? Any ideas why the drop, am I doing something wrong or, any recommendations?

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks guys!

Comments

• KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    lonewolf2011:
    I have a couple of humidors that until now have had 72% Boveda packs in them. I went 72 to compensate for loss in the wood and usually dry AZ climate. They usually hold between 66 & 68 and have been very reliable.

Santa brought me the heartfelt tubes (70%) and they were very dry when I opened them. I charged as instructed and dropped them in removing the Boveda packs and the humidity dropped and has remained at 57-59. Also, according to the calculator on the heartfelt site these tubes should be oversized for the humidors I am using

I am placing them in the bottom of the humidor and my hygrometer is in the top, does it matter where I put them? Any ideas why the drop, am I doing something wrong or, any recommendations?

Thanks guys!
    The obvious first - have you calibrated your hygro?
    How long have the beads been in there?
    What position is the tube in, and are there sticks covering it up, etc,?

I'd leave things alone (don't open the humi, etc.) for at least 4-5 days before assuming you have an issue - after you've checked your hygro of course.
    I have my tube on the bottom of my humi, lying down, with one end propped up by a dice. I have no cigars "smothering" it, works good for me.

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Make sure they are really charged and you see no white. This is the mistake I first made. Pour A LOT of distilled water down the tube until they are all clear. Trust me it isn't overdoing it since it works.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Leave the boveda packs in there until it stabilizes. Shouldn't have any issue after that. It should be that simple. Really.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I would suggest one on top level and one on bottom level....the beads do need some time to adjust everything in the humi or cooler....be patient and don't get spooked if humidity spikes or drops....mine took a good week or 2 to adjust the climate properly and steady...
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    scarlin:
    Make sure they are really charged and you see no white. This is the mistake I first made. Pour A LOT of distilled water down the tube until they are all clear. Trust me it isn't overdoing it since it works.
    +++++The beads should be clear. Shake the tube until there's no water dripping from it, & then put it back in.
    scarlin:
    Not to say this didn't work for you but the rule of thumb with beads is 60% to 70% clear and the rest white....when they are all clear there is no way for them to absorb moisture...
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    KingoftheCove:
    lonewolf2011:

Thanks guys!
    The obvious first - have you calibrated your hygro?
    How long have the beads been in there?
    What position is the tube in, and are there sticks covering it up, etc,?

I'd leave things alone (don't open the humi, etc.) for at least 4-5 days before assuming you have an issue - after you've checked your hygro of course.
    I have my tube on the bottom of my humi, lying down, with one end propped up by a dice. I have no cigars "smothering" it, works good for me.

Yes, the hygro has been calibrated and it is laying horizontal in the bottom uncovered. It has only been in there for 2 days so far.
  • lonewolf2011lonewolf2011 Posts: 503
    Thanks for the tips, sounds like I just need to give it some more time to stabilize, I was just surprised to see the rapid 10% drop

How do you guys charge the tubes? I just hit it with a spray bottle of distilled water as the instructions recommended. The beads don't look dry but I did hear a bit of a rattle when I shake the tube, is that normal or does it need more water?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have the tubes I got pucks and they always got a bit of a rattle, it just sounds different when they're dry and they move more freely.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    lonewolf2011:
    How do you guys charge the tubes? I just hit it with a spray bottle of distilled water as the instructions recommended. The beads don't look dry but I did hear a bit of a rattle when I shake the tube, is that normal or does it need more water?
    I have these little syringe type thingys and I shoot distilled water into the holes in the tubes - I rotate it around and try to hit the ends and middle all the way around the tube.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    Diamondog:
    scarlin:
    Not to say this didn't work for you but the rule of thumb with beads is 60% to 70% clear and the rest white....when they are all clear there is no way for them to absorb moisture...
    This is true, but overhumidification is not a problem for him now. When the humidity stabalizes, the beads will be exactly as you describe.
    JDH:
    Diamondog:
    scarlin:
    This is true, but overhumidification is not a problem for him now. When the humidity stabalizes, the beads will be exactly as you describe.
    The beads should not be overcharged to overcompensate, time will do the adjustment...
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    lonewolf2011:
    Thanks for the tips, sounds like I just need to give it some more time to stabilize, I was just surprised to see the rapid 10% drop

These are tools that really help me with beads.
    1) a funnel - small enough to easily fit inside your tube, big enough for beads to easily pass thru

2) a tight mesh strainer - like this one
    www.jbprince.com/utensils/mesh-strainer-7-inch.asp

So when I want to dry out, or mist, my beads.....I take off one of the caps, and gently pour all or some of the beads into the strainer. Then gently mist them, or dry them with a hair dryer on low/med for 5 minutes or so until they are where I want them (put a saucer/plate over them so they don't fly out of the strainer when drying them....and don't use a hot setting).

Then use the funnell to pour the beads out of the strainer and back into the tube, replace cap....voila!
    Works really well.