Home General Discussion

Humi-packs

Anyone ever look at the Boveda humi-packs,they come in 75/72/69/65 ? I don't think this competes with ccoms water pillows. They are billed as toss in and forget, lasts about 2-3 months and then replace, cannot recharge like wp's. good web site but I wonder how dependable. Are they less trouble than beads? and/or an alternative to beads and take up less room. Opinions please ...

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    They work great! I've used them a couple of times and they are as advertised. The issue is cost. Every 2-3 months you have to replace them. And in a decent sized humidor you'd need 4-6 packs, running you about $20 every 3 months. It gets rather pricy. If they sold a 10 pack of them for the same price as they sell 1 pak for, it'd be a much more viable option.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

madurofan:
    They work great! I've used them a couple of times and they are as advertised. The issue is cost. Every 2-3 months you have to replace them. And in a decent sized humidor you'd need 4-6 packs, running you about $20 every 3 months. It gets rather pricy. If they sold a 10 pack of them for the same price as they sell 1 pak for, it'd be a much more viable option.

Thanks Maddy , it does seem pricey I agree ...I still think I'll give them a try...did you have the 69 or 65 or other , I'm leaning toward the 69 or 65

I've used their seasoning kits, the hygro calibration kits and the 72% humidity packs. I've only used the packs in my travel humidors. Also my local B&M sells a bag made by Boveda that comes with a miniture pack that is set to 72% I've used that a few times and it works very well. It holds about 5 sticks.

Just remember its one pack THEN one pack for ever 50 cigars your humi CAN hold. So if its 25 or 50 count it'd be 2 packs. 75 or 100 count would be 3. 150 would be 4. After about 60 days you'll need to start watching your hygro to make sure the RH isn't dropping thats really they only way to tell when its time to replace.

Thanks for the input

gmill880:

Thanks for the input

I edited that post a little more check it again.
    Oh and two 72% packs held my 12 count travel humi right at about 70%
    Good info thanks Maddy
    Anytime. Let us know how your experiment with them goes.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have one at home from Fuente. They aren't rechargeable per se but I put it in the humidor that is around 72 percent and it turned the dryed out pack back to fluid. So, it seems that it is two way.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    this is interesting...I have several in various humis that are drying out...I wonder if I Pull them out and put them some place more humid that they will recharge?

another thing, you don't want them to break open...a nasty mess will ensue
    They are two way thats what they advertise anyways. SO that makes me wonder why they aren't rechargeable in some way shape or form you know?
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I use mine in conjunction with beads...I'm sure the beads are just eating away at them until they turn to rock.

I guess that's what I intended them for anyway...I rarely ever recharge beads, the boveda packs do it for me.
    Maddy did you have the holders they go in or did you just toss them in loose?
    gmill880:
    Maddy did you have the holders they go in or did you just toss them in loose?
    Just in loose but those wood holders they sell always looked real nice but I was using them in the travel humi so no room for them.
    Slow morning at work so I went on-line and ordered some Boveda Humi -Packs (69's). Can't wait to try these out....will just put in loose...the holders are rediculously high for just a holder...can proably make holders cheaper...
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    Let us know how you like them gene, I was looking at trying them to replace my ICE Gel Crystals. The tub just takes an odd amount of space when I smoke mostly Robusto, Toro, or 6 x 60 (which I don't know the name for)
    Got my Boveda Packs today...that was quick...will let you know how I like them after had awhile