Home Ratings & Reviews

1 yr old Opus X - Perfecxion X

Well, while I was being ornery and argumentative this past year about the collecting/storing/aging of cigars, I've been aging 2 Opus Xs and 2 Anejos. Smoked one of them last night. This was a Perfexion X that came with the AF 2010 Holiday Sample box. It was not my first Opus X. However, it is the first one that I aged for a year.
Kuzi and Doc and others swear that it is notably different, and better, after at least a year. Others have indicated that even 1 year wasn't enough. Well, I can't just go by what other people say. I had to prove it myself.

How should I put this??... They were right. (humbly)

I'm not a professional reviewer and won't try to enlighten you on the subtle nuances and apple blossom tea flavors and such. I did taste the initial sweet spiciness at the start. But it was a tad different. Whereas others I had tried had the peppery spice of the filler, and sweetness from the wrapper, it now had a blended flavor. The spice, although not as strong, was there. The sweetness also. But now it almost tasted pepperminty? sweet, cool spicy? Not sure how I would describe it.

By the 3rd draw, it hit me. The smoke. What a wonderful feeling. And I use the word feeling, because it had texture. I want to use the term "velvet". Now I've had cigars that could really be described as feeling creamy. Almost like the feel of milk on your palate. And I've had a few ISOMs that were almost oily on the palate. But this smoke? The blending of the flavors mentioned-above pales in comparison to the blending that has occurred to create this full bodied masterpiece. You cannot separate the wrapper smoke flavor from the filler smoke flavor. The components are still there but they have taken on a whole new, broader profile.

About 3 inches in I regained consciousness. The flavor just got sweeter/spicier as the stick progressed. I'm an ex cigarette smoker and I can see why some think this is a strong cigar. I've had stronger. But, I truly reveled in the power it did carry. I was sorry to see it go out.
Kuzi, you'll be happy to know that it lasted a tad over 2 hours and I'm a deliberate smoker.

With that being said, I still remove my cellos. LOL

What about the Anejos? Do they also age well?

Oh, the other Opus X? I'll tell you about it next New Years Eve. Time to go buy an aging humidor and stock up on next year's supply of Opus X.

Comments

• Haha I love it. I'm not a deliberate ager myself , I just don't find the time to smoke enough right now to be otherwise. I def have a few opus and anejos that I am being certain to hold until at least next year for the above posted reasons. Nice review, right down my alley.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Great review! I love opus cigars. Some years are better than others. Wait till you get them with 4 plus years. I had a customer who gave me 2 cigars a few weeks ago, an opus x from the first year they came out. He has 4 boxes of them, one was half gone. He has been saving them this LONG. I am so looking forward to the day when I spark one. He told me they were heaven.

I'm really surprised at how much you found your opus to change just over a year. I can never tell a fresh one to a year old one. I really like my opus's fresh however with 3 years on them they meld really well. I look forward to your review next year.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have a hard time with the regular Opus. I find them so strong for my pallette that I can not taste really any flavors except strong tobaco. So, I age mine and now I am able to detect more and taste more. However, I did not have this problem with the Maduro Opus I had but it could be that it was from 2010 and had a year already. I have a few opus left that I have had aging a few years and am trying to keep it that way and not hit them!
    phobicsquirrel:
    Great review! I love opus cigars. Some years are better than others. Wait till you get them with 4 plus years. I had a customer who gave me 2 cigars a few weeks ago, an opus x from the first year they came out. He has 4 boxes of them, one was half gone. He has been saving them this LONG. I am so looking forward to the day when I spark one. He told me they were heaven.

I'm really surprised at how much you found your opus to change just over a year. I can never tell a fresh one to a year old one. I really like my opus's fresh however with 3 years on them they meld really well. I look forward to your review next year.
    Man, you are lucky. That is one cigar that I want to try. Original opus! I know I had some back in the late 90s but I wasn't able to appreciate them. I think it was in 98 when I had them.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    No kidding, I didn't even ask him, I was just admiring his collection (had a huge cabinet in his office) and he asked me what I haven't had yet. I pointed the opus's first! lol.

some of them are pretty strong. I'm actually having that **** you sent me right now. strong little F'er. I haven't had one in a few months. You know as far as the maduro goes, I know what your talking about. For some reason, say the padron 1964's, they are really strong compared to the maduros IMO.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Glad you had such a good experience. Perfecxion X is one of my favorite sizes. Now try one with 3 to 5 years on it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    one year of age is the minimum age that i will smoke one.
    i prefer 3+ years on them.
    phobicsquirrel:
    No kidding, I didn't even ask him, I was just admiring his collection (had a huge cabinet in his office) and he asked me what I haven't had yet. I pointed the opus's first! lol.

some of them are pretty strong. I'm actually having that **** you sent me right now. strong little F'er. I haven't had one in a few months. You know as far as the maduro goes, I know what your talking about. For some reason, say the padron 1964's, they are really strong compared to the maduros IMO.
    You should just give it to me. I'll make sure that I take the hit so you don't have to. ;-)
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:

You should just give it to me. I'll make sure that I take the hit so you don't have to. ;-)
    or you could give it to me.
    ill be able to cross off "original release OpusX" off of my bucket list.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Just smoked this last night while watching the 49ers/Pats game.

The one I had, had about 1.5 years on it and it has def. started to mellow down and taste much better than the one I smoked fresh. This is one of my favorite size of the opus x line! I will light another one up in 6 months and go from there. But as far as I can tell, these will just get better and better with age!!

Christmas time is coming up so if you get a chance to grab some, I would def. recommend it!!!
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    zeebra:
    Just smoked this last night while watching the 49ers/Pats game.

The one I had, had about 1.5 years on it and it has def. started to mellow down and taste much better than the one I smoked fresh. This is one of my favorite size of the opus x line! I will light another one up in 6 months and go from there. But as far as I can tell, these will just get better and better with age!!

Christmas time is coming up so if you get a chance to grab some, I would def. recommend it!!!
    I have an entire drawer full of Opus. Aging all of them cuz they are so good.
  • I have a 20ct humi with various sizes of opus x I started getting in the middle of this year... they were still in the B&M after last year... so about 15 of them have 1 year...

Man I want to try one but I will let them sit for a bit longer...

Now I have started getting replacements Opus for when I do smoke them ))
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Nelenea:
    I have a 20ct humi with various sizes of opus x I started getting in the middle of this year... they were still in the B&M after last year... so about 15 of them have 1 year... Man I want to try one but I will let them sit for a bit longer... Now I have started getting replacements Opus for when I do smoke them ))
    I say light one up and see how you like it now, and then smoke another one after some more age. Everyone has diff taste, so you wont know till you try. Especially if you have multiples.....go for it!