Home Cigar 101

Cigar humidor and cigar choice?

Hello,
I'm the newbie to this cigar world. I just bought house blend of cirgar.com to try out some cigars, and figured out that I need humidor to keep them fresh.
I looked up some humidors, but they seems to be a bit pricey. Is there any good one with good price, and is there any alternatives?

Can I just buy about 5 cigars at a time and consume it in 2 weeks?

Comments

• chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Jayo:
    Hello, I'm the newbie to this cigar world. I just bought house blend of cirgar.com to try out some cigars, and figured out that I need humidor to keep them fresh. I looked up some humidors, but they seems to be a bit pricey. Is there any good one with good price, and is there any alternatives? Can I just buy about 5 cigars at a time and consume it in 2 weeks?
    try looking at this thread http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/378308.aspx . If you are sure you will have at most only 5 or so sticks at a time a ziolock bag with a humi pack will work but what is the fun in that? I would say a good first purchase would be a 200-300 count which actually hold about 65-70% of their stated capasity. I can send you a pm of a reasonable one to look at.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Jayo:
    Hello, I'm the newbie to this cigar world. I just bought house blend of cirgar.com to try out some cigars, and figured out that I need humidor to keep them fresh. I looked up some humidors, but they seems to be a bit pricey. Is there any good one with good price, and is there any alternatives? Can I just buy about 5 cigars at a time and consume it in 2 weeks?
    You can use zip lock bags or even better tupperware to store your sticks a few at a time. If you add one of the water pillows that come with your order that will help as well.
    Eventually if you keep smoking, you will need a Humidor and a good hygrometer as well as some humidification device. For now go with the tupperware.
    BTW WELCOME.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I agree with chem. Also, check out Snipers thread on 101 Things A Newb should know.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/379773.aspx

I think it is very informative and will help build a fairly solid foundation for your cigar smoking experiences.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Lakota72:
    I agree with chem. Also, check out Snipers thread on 101 Things A Newb should know.

http://www.cigar.com/cs/forums/thread/379773.aspx

I think it is very informative and will help build a fairly solid foundation for your cigar smoking experiences.
    Too bad that can't be made a sticky. It really helps alot.
  • JayoJayo Posts: 76
    Thank you. I read the threads. My cigars are in ziplock now, and searching on humidor. I'm looking for used, but good looking humidors on ebay now. Wish me luck.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Jayo:
    Thank you. I read the threads. My cigars are in ziplock now, and searching on humidor. I'm looking for used, but good looking humidors on ebay now. Wish me luck.
    check your inbox. That humidors will be better than an eBay one I suspect. I bought one on eBay and the seal is pretty poor. I think it's worth a few bucks to order from a company with customer support. You don't want to have to babysit the humi and worry that the sticks you invested in are going to get ruined.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be Leary of any used humi unless it was coming from one of the brothers here. Ziplock bags or a Tupperware bowl will do just fine for the time being. Some people only use Tupperware because of the ease of storing them away just be sure to get you some water pillows in there and open it once a week or so to get fresh air.Another thing that works great and looks cool are the plastic jars with the hinged lids you get at Walmart for like 5 bucks. Throw a pillow in there and you got a cool desktop humi that holds about 20 or so sticks. I got 3 of them from before I upgraded to a bigger humi.
    I just bought humidification gel from local smoke shop, and place cigars and the gel in the plastic container. well I hope it works until I get the actual humidor. I am starting to save money for good one.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Jayo:
    I just bought humidification gel from local smoke shop, and place cigars and the gel in the plastic container. well I hope it works until I get the actual humidor. I am starting to save money for good one.
    You should be fine. Welcome to the forums!
  • Jayo:

Not that you asked for it but here is my advice from my own experiences after having spent a LOOOOOOT of money on traditional humidors: Save up about $40.00 and go buy a 40 or 60qt cooler from Wal-Mart. If you want a nice looking humidor to display, disregard what im saying. If you simply want reliable storage for your smokes and don't care about how they are displayed...save yourself the money and go with a cooler for storage. As you progress in the hobby, you will love having the extra storage.

I made my humidor with toolbox and weather seal from walmart. It cost me little less than 10 dollar. This will be my temporal humidor until I get the good one. By the way, does anyone knows what is name of the cigar in last picture?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you do get a humi brother be sure to season it before putting your sticks in it. And if you get a used one you'll probably want to dither dollar bill test on it.
  • Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    AJGARLETT:
    Jayo:

Not that you asked for it but here is my advice from my own experiences after having spent a LOOOOOOT of money on traditional humidors: Save up about $40.00 and go buy a 40 or 60qt cooler from Wal-Mart. If you want a nice looking humidor to display, disregard what im saying. If you simply want reliable storage for your smokes and don't care about how they are displayed...save yourself the money and go with a cooler for storage. As you progress in the hobby, you will love having the extra storage.
    I have to second that motion. I have a couple pretty nice humidors, but I also had a very large pelican case from my SERE days so I threw in an automatic fan/humidifier and I can fit about 750 cigars in it. I works great and I only had to buy the humidification system.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM in your inbox, Jayo. Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you for advise y'all. I did the dollar bill test, and succeeded. The CCom forum is very newbie friendly not like some others.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Jayo:
    Hey Jayo. Welcome to the forum.. What what other cigars do you enjoy? I see your a student too.. What are you studying ?
    kaspera79:
    Jayo:
    Hey Jayo. Welcome to the forum.. What what other cigars do you enjoy? I see your a student too.. What are you studying ?
    Thank you for welcoming :) Um... I started my first cigar with CCom house blends. I really liked Sun Grown Label and Corojo Label but not the red label. I have not tried much cigars yet only smoked about 10 of em. Any suggestion? I study biology right now.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Man o war is a great stick, and nice thinking on the tool box
    deejmemixx:
    Man o war is a great stick, and nice thinking on the tool box
    Thank you. I got the idea from herf-a-dor. Man O' War, yeah definitely I will try it soon. I really want to try one soon, because the label just look really cool haha.
  • brettdub33brettdub33 Posts: 56
    Hey Jayo... Welcome to the wonderful world of cigars! I have been at this for a while but am new to this site and it is great to see newcomers of the "stick"... the best advise I have ever recieved is what one person likes to toast another may hate. So in the beginig stages of cigar smoking you may find that your pallet will become distinct. and you will learn to dectect the subtle nuances of every cigar you try. So for now sample sample sample. Cigars are like wine there are a lot of diferent ones and the best way to find your favorites is to try a lot of them. Oh and just remember to be patient, smoking a cigar is NOT a race to the finish it is a marathon. so kick back, take it slow and enjoy... and although the A. fuente Opus X fuente fuente is my fave, doesn't mean you will like it and just cause a cigar is expensive doesn't mean it will be good. there are a lot of inexpensive smokes out there that are top notch! Glad to have another brother of the stick.
    brettdub33:
    Hey Jayo... Welcome to the wonderful world of cigars! I have been at this for a while but am new to this site and it is great to see newcomers of the "stick"... the best advise I have ever recieved is what one person likes to toast another may hate. So in the beginig stages of cigar smoking you may find that your pallet will become distinct. and you will learn to dectect the subtle nuances of every cigar you try. So for now sample sample sample. Cigars are like wine there are a lot of diferent ones and the best way to find your favorites is to try a lot of them. Oh and just remember to be patient, smoking a cigar is NOT a race to the finish it is a marathon. so kick back, take it slow and enjoy... and although the A. fuente Opus X fuente fuente is my fave, doesn't mean you will like it and just cause a cigar is expensive doesn't mean it will be good. there are a lot of inexpensive smokes out there that are top notch! Glad to have another brother of the stick.
    Thank you for advice. I used to own a cafe that sell coffee and wine. While learning coffee and wine for years, I learned that book and words are not the best teacher. By trying all different kinds, either good or bad, I learned what is good or bad. I'm trying to try all different kind of cigars now, just like you said. I'm starting from cheap sampler deals, which still has some expensive ones includes. And again thank you for your advice and suggestion :)
  • brettdub33brettdub33 Posts: 56
    Jayo:
    brettdub33:
    Thank you for advice. I used to own a cafe that sell coffee and wine. While learning coffee and wine for years, I learned that book and words are not the best teacher. By trying all different kinds, either good or bad, I learned what is good or bad. I'm trying to try all different kind of cigars now, just like you said. I'm starting from cheap sampler deals, which still has some expensive ones includes. And again thank you for your advice and suggestion :)
    My Pleasure... any questions you have or need some recomendations just shoot me a message.
    brettdub33:
    Jayo:
    brettdub33:
    My Pleasure... any questions you have or need some recomendations just shoot me a message.
    Yes, sir.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Oh. My. God. A toolbox humidor...effing Awesome!!!
    bigharpoon:
    Oh. My. God. A toolbox humidor...effing Awesome!!!
    Thank you... maybe I can carry this while I am traveling, too
    I just stuffed my toolidor with cigars. It fits about 50 cigars, 5 tins of cigarillos, and 2oz humidifier gel. I think it is decent deal for 10 dollar humidor.
  • GoatmilkGoatmilk Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Toolidor? Surely we can come up with a better name than that...........