Home Cigar 101

Drymistat Tubes + Foam Himidifer - My setup w/pics.... thoughts?

oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
I currently have a 100ct humidor with 3 drymistat tubes in it. As you can see, I have used the dividers to separate the tubes from the cigars, and put a paper towel underneath each tube's open end, just to be sure no water hits the humidor. I also have the humidification foam that came with my humidor inside.

Do you think I need to change anything? Should I remove paper towels? Remove foam? Move the drymistat tubes elsewhere? etc etc etc.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    I would definitely get rid of the paper towels (I envision mold with those) and if you aren't using the foam get rid of it too. (Secret hiding spot without the foam inside cough). I like the rustic looking humi!
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    I would definitely get rid of the paper towels (I envision mold with those) and if you aren't using the foam get rid of it too. (Secret hiding spot without the foam inside cough). I like the rustic looking humi!
    #1, and no need to seperate the tubes. Just make sure there's no excess water in them. Save the deviders for separating your mild sticks from the rest of your stash.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Nice stash. I've got a Paradigm system in my humi but thinking I'm gonna switch over to beads. I've noticed some spikes in the last week or so and want something a little more stable.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Spikes are commonplace until you switch to beads Imho. I don't know a single regular on these forums who will argue with this advice that took me 8 months to try...get beads from conservagel or heartfelt. Trust me, any one on hear switch to beads and wants to say ewwwww don't do it? Best cigar comfort decision u can make.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    scarlin:
    +1. First, SEXY humidor!!! Second, in the same way scarlin mentioned ditching the paper towels due to mold possibilities, the same applies to the foam humidifier - they're mold traps just waiting to happen.

Also +1 on another post, no need at all to separate the drymistat tubes from the 'gars as long as you're taking care of them properly. PM incoming on how I deal with them.

• JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    It's been said before, but beads will indeed change your life and make your wildest dreams come true.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a few others have said, beads are definitely the way to go if you're looking to swap out the humidifiers...I switched to beads back in the fall and have had to recharge the units only once and have been steady at 67-68% for a couple months now.

Also, my humis are a bit more full than yours, so I try to rotate the sticks about once per month to make sure the ones furthest from the humidifier aren't getting dried out and the ones closest aren't getting oversaturated.
    This is probably over kill but it's just something I'm paranoid about.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Here is how I changed it... it's been holding at 70 without any problems. I put one tube on top image Then I put two on the bottom right and left (laying on the bottom of the humidor), with one more tube in the center in between some rows of cigars image I organized it so that all of my cigars that don't have cellophane are on top with any singles that I have. If I have 2 or more of something, it goes underneath. I will also put a special cigar or two up top if I know I will be smoking them soon. Thoughts?
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    looking good
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks good as it is but could look even better with more sticks : )
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    Oh, don't worry, I've got more coming :P
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i tend to put the cigars without cellophane on the bottom of the humidor because they will have less handling there. less handling, less damage.