Home Cigar 101

Will they be OK?

GoatmilkGoatmilk Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
When I first moved to MO last year times were pretty rough. I didn't have a job or really have anywhere to stay so I stored my humidor at someone's house. It was there until I went and got it yesterday. There had been no upkeep on it as I was never over there and the gel I had been using was all shriveled up. When I opened the humidor the hygrometer said 57%. I bought some unscented silica gel kitty litter (until I can get some beads) and added a shot glass with distilled water to bring up the rh to 61%. I examined the cigars and none of the wrappers were cracked. Will my cigars be ok?

Comments

• BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    They should be. Just keep in mind that you need to bring up the RH very SLOWLY. Do not spike it or you could shock the tobacco and damage the cigars. And do NOT bring the RH above normal levels (65-69%) thinking that higher RH will rejuvinate them faster. The best thing for them is to VERY, VERY SLOWLY bring the RH up to normal, and then let them rest in the proper RH for a good while. Probably months. 57% isn't extremely bad (if your hygro is correct) and they can be saved, but remember this theory:

they survived the drop to 57% by slowly dropping the RH over time. They will only survive the re-humidification process if it is done just as slowly and naturally as possible.

Good luck with your stash, hope that helps!
  • GoatmilkGoatmilk Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    Thanks BigT. I figured 57% wasn't too bad but I don't know how much the humidity has fluctuated since it had not been monitored.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    57% should not ruin them. If the oils in the cigars dried out past the point of rehumidification then they will not taste the same as intended. Nothing wrong with trying to bring them back.

You will know if they dried too far if they burn a harsh tobacco flavor, burn faster than normal, feel light in the hand, or just have a bitterness that will not stop. Still nothing wrong with trying.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I believe these cigars will still be good.. Get them back into a proper setting and just wait a while. Many years ago, I had some cigars in a storage locker while I was between houses. They sat in a zip lock bag for three months of the summer. I still smoked every one of them, and enjoyed it. It takes a lot to make cigars completely worthless.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you in MO? Near KC? Everyone gave good advice already imo. I think they will recover.
    jsnake:
    Where are you in MO? Near KC? Everyone gave good advice already imo. I think they will recover.
    Out in BFE right in the middle. It's a 3 hour drive to KC and a 3 hour drive to St. Louis. I'm hoping I'll be able to get out to a Chiefs game next year.

Thanks for all the advice everybody.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    jsnake:
    Definitely let us know where you're at - jsnake, MESKC and I all live in the Kansas City area. We really need to get a midwest herf going in the spring...

The Sniper:
    jsnake:
    Definitely let us know where you're at - jsnake, MESKC and I all live in the Kansas City area. We really need to get a midwest herf going in the spring...

I'm 30 miles north of Columbia in the tiny town of Higbee.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Sweet! I think thats close enough to make it for a herf, how bout you?

The Sniper:
    Sweet! I think thats close enough to make it for a herf, how bout you?

Yes it's just a few hours away.
  • KevinFittsKevinFitts Posts: 225
    I want in... I am new to this but also in the KC area.
    I decided to smoke one of my decades just to see how it was. It tastes fine and the burn is even. Only problem I had was the cap falling apart when i tried to punch it.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Glad things worked out well in the end. If you find that you're having similar issues with others of these cigars stored this way, lick the cap prior to cutting. That helps with that sort of thing.