Home Cigar 101

Humi Prep

Hey guys, I just ordered my first humidor. I did the pick three sampler and chose the Small Southport Humidor with the glass lid. When it comes in do i need to do any prep of any kind or do I just fill up my humidifier and put my cigars in and that's it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I did not properly season my first humi...and it bit me on a couple smokes, but luckily I did not have much and learned my lesson. Personally, I do not do the wipe down at all. I put a clean wet sponge with distilled water in it for a night and my digi hygro. The next night I put two drymistat tubes in it, the next day take the sponge out so 3 days later it's settled around 71-72. The RH spikes at first, but once it settles after the 2nd I've been good and it drops to high 60's once you put smokes in. Mine drops in the winter, but no more than 65-66. I've done this with two and had success that way, always 65 and my hygro will record any dips below that point. I am actually reseasoning that one as we speak....cause I bought too many damn smokes. Breakdown: Day 1: sponge, hygro Day 2: sponge, hygro, humidifiers, should be in the 80's...sometimes even higher, but will settle over night Day 3: Hygro, humi's settle around low 70's for a good 24 hours. Day 4: smokes in, good to go! It's never failed me, and even my old humi that I am reseasoning was still settled after being empty for a year, so it took only two days. Hope that helps, I am not an expert but this has worked for me. In the past I did the wipe downs and saw all sorts of spikes. This way was longer, but consistent and lasted.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I used the Boveda seasoning pack on mine...worked awesome
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    No matter how you go about it, definitely season the humidor.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup season your humi first! There's all kinds of info on how to do it pretty simple. Once it gets to 72% give it a day or two then put your sticks in. Till then keep them in a ziplock bag or a new Tupperware bowl with the water pillow that comes with your sticks. And order you a bead puck to replace the humidifier that comes with your humi, those foam disc's mold up fast.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    I always wipe my humidor down before I even start the waiting game... the cedar is always covered in dust and my wipes come off pink and black... I dont want that on my really expensive dead leaves. I have actually found, through personal experience, that if I wipe down my humi, place a shot glass in the humi, plus the beads, I am good to go to add sticks in about a day. I also tend to fill my humi as much as I can, so the sticks will be a major influence in keeping humidity just right inside. longer is better to some, but I find 24 hours is just fine.
  • Thanks for all the input guys. My hygrometer is calibrated and now hanging steady at 70. My humi is seasoned and loaded with some good smokes. God bless and long ashes.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I've got my humi's holding at 68 %. When I want to smoke should I take the stick and let it sit for an hour or so before lighting?
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    I've got my humi's holding at 68 %. When I want to smoke should I take the stick and let it sit for an hour or so before lighting?
    That's how I prefer the humidity for smoking.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Direwolf:
    That's how I prefer the humidity for smoking.
    Agreed.

I believe that helps ensure an easier draw. I've placed mine in an old humidor with no humidification, or just let em hang out inthe open air sitting on the ash tray.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America