Home Cigar 101

Big Trouble?

Hello everyone, I am in need of some help/advise. I have been smoking cigars for about 2-3 years now and I have loved every moment of it but, I have never owned a humidor or more than 2 cigars at any given point. Well this past Christmas, my mother and Fiancee surprised me with humidor and 20 Gurkha cigars. Sadly, they bought them about a month before Christmas and I actually didn't receive them until the 6th of January when I got back, so they were a bit dry. Also, the humidor (Cigar.com Deluxe Humidor) was new and the humidifier (Round Crystal Humidifier) was still in the box. So, being the complete newbie I am, I took the cigars out of their plastic wrappers, placed them in the (now known unseasoned) humidor, put the humidifier in and took a damp rag and put them in as well. Well it has been a little more than a week and some of the top cigars are fraying towards the ends and some of the wrappers are begging to split. Have I just destroyed my beautiful cigars? Should I go on a smoking binge to save them? (please say yes) Any help would be great! Thank you.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    take the cigars out.

put them in a plastic bag with a water pillow

now relax. they are saveable.

season your humidor.

add cigars back in

those cigars are going to need time. they my have some burn issues but they arent unsmokable. just make sure to give them time.
  • smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    take the cigars out.

put them in a plastic bag with a water pillow

now relax. they are saveable.

season your humidor.

add cigars back in

those cigars are going to need time. they my have some burn issues but they arent unsmokable. just make sure to give them time.
    Matt has spoken...sounds like you can avoid the big trouble.
  • Thank you so much for the information/help. Also, I don't have any water pillows but will a sponge squeezed of most water due?
  • Swing by any local B&M you can get some there until you get a chance to get your humi set. Distilled water!!! No tap water
  • OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    mattpelter:
    Thank you so much for the information/help. Also, I don't have any water pillows but will a sponge squeezed of most water due?
    Definitely don't use a sponge, they will still leak a little water and you don't want that on your sticks.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dopeyferree:
    Swing by any local B&M you can get some there until you get a chance to get your humi set. Distilled water!!! No tap water
    if they dont have that get drymist tubes or Xikar humidity jars or some other inexpensive two way humidity device.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    And def get rid of that sponge, it just breeds mold like crazy.

"Long ashes my friends."

• KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    x2.
  • Thank you everyone for the help. I went and got some water pillows and I am currently seasoning my humidor.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good going bro. Read up thru these threads good. You will find out anything you need to know here
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Rhamlin:
    Good going bro. Read up thru these threads good. You will find out anything you need to know here
    If not ask!
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Just to reiterate for you my man. Do not use tap water!! It's poison for cigars. I use a xikar rectangle humidification with Dr. Rh humidification solution. Used for over a year and in my 300 ct humidor and all my cigars are always perfect.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    mattpelter:
    Hello everyone, I am in need of some help/advise. I have been smoking cigars for about 2-3 years now and I have loved every moment of it but, I have never owned a humidor or more than 2 cigars at any given point. Well this past Christmas, my mother and Fiancee surprised me with humidor and 20 Gurkha cigars. Sadly, they bought them about a month before Christmas and I actually didn't receive them until the 6th of January when I got back, so they were a bit dry. Also, the humidor (Cigar.com Deluxe Humidor) was new and the humidifier (Round Crystal Humidifier) was still in the box. So, being the complete newbie I am, I took the cigars out of their plastic wrappers, placed them in the (now known unseasoned) humidor, put the humidifier in and took a damp rag and put them in as well. Well it has been a little more than a week and some of the top cigars are fraying towards the ends and some of the wrappers are begging to split. Have I just destroyed my beautiful cigars? Should I go on a smoking binge to save them? (please say yes) Any help would be great! Thank you.
    PM sent