Home Cigar 101

Storing cigars....

jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
Hey BOTL's. I have a question for some of you pros out there. I have a 300 ct humi and I came across some info that I could use some clarification on. I know to seperate infused cigars from noninfused, however, I read to keep regular cigars separated by strength (mild, medium, dull) and wrapper color. Is this common practice and do some of you have any experience with his matter? I currently have all my regs in the humi organized but some are sampler packs still mixed in with each other. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a vet, and if I give out some sketchy info I hope one of the senior members rectifies it, but you shouldn't have any issues with mixing your smokes. Everything I've read or heard gives the impression that it would take years for the oils and flavors of your Maduros to "bleed" over into your Connies. If you have doubts, just leave them in the cellophane. My humi looks like a monster cluster-**** right now and I have no fear of "cross contamination."
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    Lol toombes. I have all my smokes in the cello except for 2 that didn't have a cello. I figured it would take a while for the oils to mix so I guess I'm good. Thanks for the info BOTL.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Anytime. You'll find tons of great info and even more good friends on the forum. Happy herfing, my BoTL!!
  • PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    What you have is just your preference in organization. You can keep em separated or mix em together, it's safe for the cigars either way. Just keep those infused in a diff box.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    PsychoSJG:
    What you have is just your preference in organization. You can keep em separated or mix em together, it's safe for the cigars either way. Just keep those infused in a diff box.

x2
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    PsychoSJG:
    I organize my sticks by whatever way makes the most fit in my humi.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I've been buying, smoking, enjoying, and collecting cigars for eighteen years. Placing cigars of different strength or wrapper will not affect your cigars. I always keep mine in the cello just to protect the wrappers, and I've got three dollar cigars right next to my Super Premiums.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Good info here. Don't mix infused, otherwise you're totally fine.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    scarlin:
    PsychoSJG:
    I organize my sticks by whatever way makes the most fit in my humi.
    LOL I hear you on that one brother, mine are arranged as nice as possible while maximizing the amount I can fit in the humi.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    but you dont want to go overboard... I recently grabbed a smoke from the bottom of my 300 ct that is FULL to the brim and hard to close unless you get it perfect... anyways, the stick I grabbed was essentially box pressed from being up against the corner and floor for the better part of a year. Guess its time for a collerdor! lmao
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got no infused, but the only ones I keep seperated are the Connie's. Everything else is all mixed up. Been thinking of seperating them by color just for kicks.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    To clarify... don't even store infused cigars in the same humidor as traditional cigars.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    For my infused cigars, I love me some Tabak Especial and Java, I have a 20 ct that I keep them and only them in. They won't come near my other sticks as they can contaminate your other cigars.

As far as the other non infused sticks are concerned. I wouldn't worry about how you have them arranged esp if you keep the cello on. My humidor usually looks like a bad game of tetris on the inside lol
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seriously, with th exception of infused, someone wrote an article about organizing cigars? Get cigars, open storage (humidor, coolidor, bucketador, toolboxador etc.), put cigars in, close said storage, your cigars are now properly organized End of article. Thanks for reading.
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    bandyt09:
    Seriously, with th exception of infused, someone wrote an article about organizing cigars? Get cigars, open storage (humidor, coolidor, bucketador, toolboxador etc.), put cigars in, close said storage, your cigars are now properly organized End of article. Thanks for reading.
    +1
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    OK, new box, first cardboard box, Sigilo, sampler, take cigars out or put into coolidor like that or transfer to wood box then put into coolidor???
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    You don't arrange alphabetically? and then do a cross reference chart by wrapper, blender, shade, day of the week they were bought, who was on first?
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    You don't arrange alphabetically? and then do a cross reference chart by wrapper, blender, shade, day of the week they were bought, who was on first?
    Never put a cardboard box in?? Lots of wooden!!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MVW67:
    Direwolf:
    Never put a cardboard box in?? Lots of wooden!!!
    Doesn't hurt to do it. Personal choice.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    bandyt09:
    I think it depends on your personality, and the amount of room you have. I like to keep the stronger Nicaraguan cigars in one area, usually without cellos, and in trays that keep them segregated by brand. All the Padrons will be in one tray, all the Olivas in another tray, etc. Same for my higher end Dominican cigars, but this is just personal preference. I like to have things fairly well organized, and that goes for my cigars too. Since I don't own any infused cigars, nor do I want to own an infused cigar, I don't worry about having a seperate humidor for them.