Home Cigar 101

Hygrometer calibration help please

scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
I recently bought a Xikar hygrometer with a 1 button calibration. I did the salt in a bag calibration method but when I hit calibrate it holds at 75% for a few seconds then drops to 63%. Shouldn't it stay at 75%..?

Comments

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Fyi, I have been having the worst time calibrating my 3 hygros.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    it should, are you saying it reads 75 before you hit the reset button then drops to 63 after, does it climb back up,(Within 15 min), how long has it been in the bag before you reset? After? any more nfo, try pullin the battery and trying again,,, if it reads 75 when in the bag 18 hrs or more then you should be good, if it reads 73 then you adjust cal knob by two clicks and press reset
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Are you leaving it in the bag while pushing da button? Are you leaving it in for 8 hours?
    Yea it been in the bag for 24 hours. The button is just a one push button that automatically sets it to 75%.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    When you get it figured out be sure to post what you learned. I have been having the same problem with one of my Hygrometers.
    The thing that gets me is after I hit the "calibrate" button it goes to 75% and then after the 10 second autocheck it drops down to 65%. Shouldn't it go from 75% instead of dropping that far?
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Yep, it should be 75% in the bag. So after you push the button, it should read and hold at 75%.
    Still keeps dropping. If I use a boveda pack should I get a big humidor one or a small bag one?
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    scarlin:
    The thing that gets me is after I hit the "calibrate" button it goes to 75% and then after the 10 second autocheck it drops down to 65%. Shouldn't it go from 75% instead of dropping that far?
    I don't know what your Hygrometer is like, but if it is like mine (you would need to read the instructions for the hygrometer) it may have a RH high and low point for a 24 hour period. I can check the highest and lowest RH reading for a 24 period, or can see what the present RH level in my coolerdor is. Is it possible that yours is like that? If so, it may be reading correctly and the 65% reading would be indicating the lowest point of RH in the last 24 hour period? Just sort of thinking "out loud".
    laker1963:
    scarlin:
    I don't know what your Hygrometer is like, but if it is like mine (you would need to read the instructions for the hygrometer) it may have a RH high and low point for a 24 hour period. I can check the highest and lowest RH reading for a 24 period, or can see what the present RH level in my coolerdor is. Is it possible that yours is like that? If so, it may be reading correctly and the 65% reading would be indicating the lowest point of RH in the last 24 hour period? Just sort of thinking "out loud".
    It has a min/max button when pressed shows a small min at the top and max at the bottom with the current as a Big number in the mid. Min is 58% and max is 63%.
    scarlin:
    laker1963:
    scarlin:
    It has a min/max button when pressed shows a small min at the top and max at the bottom with the current as a Big number in the mid. Min is 58% and max is 63%.
    So then I assume you were reading it xorrectly. Just a suggestion, as I didn't know what type hygro you were using.

If the readings for max / min are correct what is the present reading of the hygrometer when inside the bag with the wet salt?
    laker1963:
    scarlin:
    laker1963:
    scarlin:
    So then I assume you were reading it xorrectly. Just a suggestion, as I didn't know what type hygro you were using.

If the readings for max / min are correct what is the present reading of the hygrometer when inside the bag with the wet salt?
    It is 59%, but I the Xikar rect so to adjust it your hit the calibrate button which instantly brings it to 75% no knob.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    scarlin:
    laker1963:
    scarlin:
    laker1963:
    scarlin:

It is 59%, but I the Xikar rect so to adjust it your hit the calibrate button which instantly brings it to 75% no knob.
    Sounds like its Tango Uniform, if its new Id be trying to return.
    I would re-run the salt test and make a new batch of test salt. Make sure that the salt is not too moist but alse make sure it is moist enough. You want a thick paste like consistency. Allow the hygrometer to remain in the bag for at least 24 hours before you even look at it. If your hygrometer continues to act the way it is now... I would send it back for repairs or replacement.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    I would re-run the salt test and make a new batch of test salt. Make sure that the salt is not too moist but alse make sure it is moist enough. You want a thick paste like consistency. Allow the hygrometer to remain in the bag for at least 24 hours before you even look at it. If your hygrometer continues to act the way it is now... I would send it back for repairs or replacement.
    +1 I'd agree, redo the salt test.
    I had this same problem when I tried to calibrate mine the first time, but after a second salt test it worked and matched up to my other hygrometer.
    Also, try to let it sit somewhere away from sun light/heat ducts, that will probably throw off the moisture content in the bag. (I made the mistake of placing mine on the kitchen counter, under a heat duct, and the salt was bone dry after it sat overnight.)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    If you are still having issues, then PM me - I have a bovida calibration kit you can have, if youd like.
    How did this whole thing work out Scarlin? Are you good to go now?
    laker1963:
    How did this whole thing work out Scarlin? Are you good to go now?
    Got a calibration bag(2 infact) and left the hygro in for a little over 24 hours. Hit Calibrate and now the thing seems to hold at 75%. Those basic adjustable digital hygrometers blow...
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I personally like the ones you have to dial in yourself, it is a PAIN IN THE @$$ to get it perfect, but seems to hold pretty true for me for a while.
    1 click for me changes it to a random number. Never 1 percentage point