Home Cigar 101

Cigar of the Month

So I just signed up for the Cigar of the Month club and I need some advice.

1)  The cigars will be ok sitting in a mailbox all day in the heat of summer right?
2)  What about my Humidor?  I only have one and I just finished the seasoning process, but I only have one divider.  Any advice on how to store them other than buying more humidors?

Thanks

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    BF, they ship them in a box, inside the box they are in a plastic bag with a humidification device(water pillow). They'll be just fine.

As far as your humi, I'm not sure why you're worried about dividers but thats neither here nor there. You can store any cigars together in the same humi, without dividers, as long they aren't flavored.

If your humi is full, as mine is, you can use tupperware or just leave them in the plastic bag they come in from ccom, with the water pillow. Or you can take a cooler or a large tupperware container and line it with Spanish cedar(broken up cigar boxes you can get from your local tobacconist) and put a humidification device in there. No matter how you choose to store them make sure you have a calibrated, digital hygrometer in with them and that it stays between 66 and 72% RH
  • BFGarnerBFGarner Posts: 96
    Cool thanks. That is very comforting info. I was worried about them touching b/c I read somewhere that the stronger cigars will "marry" the more mild ones and that would be bad. I'm new at this, so I appreciate the help!
    Marrying does happen, but it happens regardless of whether or not they are touching. To trully marry though they would have to be stored together for a VERY long time, years.
    Can I ask what you are using for humidification in your new humi? and how you seasoned her?
    Another thing that will slow marrying is to leave your cigars in their cellophane. I do this also because it prevents damage to the cigars.
    For Humidification I got the Western Torpedo I seasoned it by wiping it down with a sponge with Distilled Water then letting it sit over night closed with the sponge and humidification device inside it (sponge on plastic). I repeated the step again the next day without letting the sponge stay in it. I have a Western Caliber III Hygrometer which I calibrated using the salt test.
    I'd never heard of those so I googled them. Is that Torpedo enough for your humi? Says its for a 25 count. Also was your hygro in there when you seasoned? Is it in there now and reading around 70%? I'm not trying to bombard you with questions just hitting you with all the stuff I wish I'd known and/or done when I was new.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Marrying does happen, but it happens regardless of whether or not they are touching. To trully marry though they would have to be stored together for a VERY long time, years.
    decades evan.
    Well my humidor is small. It'll fit 25 max. I put my hygro in after day 1 of seasoning. I seasoned again and waited 24 hours. The hygro is reading 78% right now, I figure by time I need to use it, it will be ready. I hope so at least.
    Ok cool. Yea wait until she gets under 72%. You can wedge the lid open a little with a kitchen match or a book of matches or something of that size to speed up the process if you need to. Welcome to the hobby buddy. Feel free to ask any questions there aren't any snobs on this board so no one should call you out on newbie questions, we were all there once. Kuzi is literally a wealth of knowledge as are a few others on here. Just poke around you;ll pick up a lot.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Brian, Welcome to the group.. As it has been said this group is full of answers to any questions. Great advice, and experience with nearly every cigar out there. Pick up samplers & try new sticks that you read about here. Have a good time and this will all help you to fully enjoy this passion we share.
    Thanks again. According to the cigar.com my cigar of the month cigars shipped yesterday, I just signed up so who knows. Also today I think I'm going to my B&M to pick a Nub to see what that is like.
    THe first month of COTMC is excellent. I hope you like full bodied :). The Nubs are really cool too, I love them. IMHO the Habano is the most full bodied, the cameroon the most flavorful, and the conneticut from what I'm told(I've smoke all except the conneticut) is mild and sweet.
    Also remember to smoke slow. ITs the hardest thing to learn, I still struggle with that. One puff per minute.
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    madurofan:
    Also remember to smoke slow. ITs the hardest thing to learn, I still struggle with that. One puff per minute.
    Don't you know it I have a hard time keeping from hot boxing, so I just set it down and walk away!!
    Sometimes the cigar is so good that you can't help yourself. And I smoke to relax, one puff a minute is a nice target rate but I'm not looking at the clock when I sit down with a cigar. So, they do get hot occasionaly. It is very difficult to slow down but worth it.
    Well I thought I had my humidor under control and was ready to use. However this morning I checked it and it was up to 75% It was at 72% all weekend. I have no cigars in it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the summer months are hard on all of us that live in warm climates.
    The summer months are hot. However having cigars in it will help it balance out some.
    An occasional spike up to 75% won't hurt ya any higher than that you're getting into mold territory.
    Don't get to obsessed by the whole heat humidity thing, they will be fine with a moderate amout of care. There can be a fluctuation by adding cigars, the temperature of the space they are stored in, opening the humidor, even the accuracy of the hygrometer. Under the most ideal conditions there will be variations so don't sweat the small changes. Your cigars will be fine..
    As always, well said kaspera.