Home General Discussion
Options

Anyone take inventory of their stash?

Just wondering if there's anyone here that is so ****, or has so many stix, that they take actual written down or typed inventory of their stix? I'm fightin' the urge. Or am I weird?

Comments

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    There was a time when I had a spreadsheet, but my "Stash" is far beyond what I would call a "Stash" at this point. It's more like a closet. I have a closet, practically, dedicated to cigars. I like not having a list... makes it fun when I dig to the bottom and find something I didn't know I had, or at least had forgotten about!
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    docbp87:
    There was a time when I had a spreadsheet, but my "Stash" is far beyond what I would call a "Stash" at this point. It's more like a closet. I have a closet, practically, dedicated to cigars. I like not having a list... makes it fun when I dig to the bottom and find something I didn't know I had, or at least had forgotten about!
    You have a point there!
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I used to, that was before the cooler! Now I just try to date them when they come in.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I can't wait till my stock gets to that point where I can go in and surprise myself
  • Options
    taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I do for ones that I buy, and I put a sticker on every cello with the date I got it. I also try to take notes on my thoughts about cigars ive smoked.
  • Options
    ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    taythegibs:
    I do for ones that I buy, and I put a sticker on every cello with the date I got it. I also try to take notes on my thoughts about cigars ive smoked.
    +1 I put a date on every stick and keep a dossier of my thoughts and keep the band of cigars that I smoke. I think I have around 3000+ sticks so I lose track of things purchased 3-5 years ago.
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Mine are on my phone. "Rate my Cigar". I love it. Keeps inventory. How much I've paid. Vitola. Wrapper. Origin. My tasting notes (& any other notes). How long they've rested. When I enjoyed it and with what drink pairing. Picture(s). My overall rating.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DSWarmack:
    I used to, that was before the cooler! Now I just try to date them when they come in.
    x2
  • Options
    JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    docbp87:
    Hey Doc, want to do a trade?...Problem is, with that many cigars, what in the world would you need? LOL LOL LOL LOL
  • Options
    htm2010htm2010 Posts: 28
    Agree with doc...I setup a spreadsheet once to calculate the cost and my inventory... I should never have done that. I have a walkin closet of humidors downstairs and 10 upstairs in my study. I like variety, kinda like wine and scotch.
  • Options
    docbp87:
    There's proabaly a whole crap-load of Fuente too! Mmmmmm Fuente.
  • Options
    htm2010:
    Agree with doc...I setup a spreadsheet once to calculate the cost and my inventory... I should never have done that. I have a walkin closet of humidors downstairs and 10 upstairs in my study. I like variety, kinda like wine and scotch.
    ...and your favorite Scotch is ???
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't take inventory because I love to lose stuff in my "20 count" and finding it later; especially when I forgot I even had it. Besides, j0z3r and I get to trade stories of "lost and found" and "how long was it lost in the humidor", usually it involves 5 packs or samplers.
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    kcw where in mass do u live?
  • Options
    I enjoy Arbelour 12 yrs and The Balvenie Doublewood.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Making and maintaining a list sounds like work. I know what I've got, more or less, and rediscovering something I forgot about is great.
  • Options
    htm2010:
    I enjoy Arbelour 12 yrs and The Balvenie Doublewood.
    I've not had either of those. The problem with Scotch is that I either really like it or I really don't, and education can be painful..
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Bandyt had a 4 sheet Excel spread sheet once. And I've seen his stash, that was but a portion of the hoarding. Probably just his cigars for bombing and trading lists.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I did once a couple of yeara ago but I have so many now it would take days and patience which I don't have.
  • Options
    Arbelour has a silky smoky taste with elements of spice and vanilla. The Balvenie Doublewood has a nutty,cinnamon with a little spice. Just drink em strait, no rocks or anything in a scotch glass. I don't drink that muxh so a bottle lasts me quite awhile,
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Salem:
    Just wondering if there's anyone here that is so ****, or has so many stix, that they take actual written down or typed inventory of their stix? I'm fightin' the urge. Or am I weird?
    I try to keep track....especially since I'm just getting into the hobby and there's so many new cigars I've never smoked, I'd rather spend $$ on something I don't have in my humi vs spending it on a duplicate of a stick I already have in stock & haven't smoked yet.

But then again I'm pretty big on impulse buys if there's a good deal on here and in that case I completely ignore my inventory list lol.
    Just my 2 cents.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    No I stopped counting at 500. I do have them broken up into broad categories though.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to keep my brands together. All of my trays are filled with Viaje. Everything else is a free for all but I try to organize. The fun part is digging around later and rediscovering things you forgot you had.
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do, I have all my sticks on a document with name, quantity, and the date it went into the humi. I'll have exactly 546 cigars once my latest orders arrive next week. Chalk one more up for the **** group!
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    jsnake:
    I try to keep my brands together. All of my trays are filled with Viaje. Everything else is a free for all but I try to organize. The fun part is digging around later and rediscovering things you forgot you had.
    Trays - whole trays - filled with Viaje's?! I have 1 (one,single,uno) Viaje. That is quite impressive! As for my "inventory" most new boxes are kept in the box until they get low in supply, and I have 2 other boxes for special / rare stuff or stuff I want to age, then the rest is in a mess of bags with no rhyme or reason.
  • Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    take inventory? sounds like work. i started smoking to help me relax. i dont even bother with little stickers with the date on em.
  • Options
    GoatmilkGoatmilk Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    My stash isn't large enough to warrant making a list.
  • Options
    cooch36:
    kcw where in mass do u live?
    About 20 mins. west of Boston in Needham
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    My "stash" will average about 200 to 300 sticks (give or take). I used to write them down until I tried making a list from memory. What I found out is this:
    Within a stick or two, I can name every brand, the size and how many of each without a list!
    It does help that I check on the humidors and rotate the sticks about once a month and count how many I have left. That is faster and easier for me (and way more fun) than keeping a list.

I started an "online journal" of my thoughts/reviews of cigars some time ago. College sucks up all of my spare time, so I never completed it. Maybe I can find a link to what I started........aha, here it is:

cam's cigar journal

The journal is in flash, so it won't work on most mobile devices. This was just for testing animation software anyway.

• Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    camgfs:
    My "stash" will average about 200 to 300 sticks (give or take). I used to write them down until I tried making a list from memory. What I found out is this:
    Within a stick or two, I can name every brand, the size and how many of each without a list!
    It does help that I check on the humidors and rotate the sticks about once a month and count how many I have left. That is faster and easier for me (and way more fun) than keeping a list.

I started an "online journal" of my thoughts/reviews of cigars some time ago. College sucks up all of my spare time, so I never completed it. Maybe I can find a link to what I started........aha, here it is:

cam's cigar journal

The journal is in flash, so it won't work on most mobile devices. This was just for testing animation software anyway.

Awww man is that ever cool!!!! I vote you finish it!! I would NEVER know how to make such a wonderful thing. That is really, really nice.