Home Cigar 101

Spongy after a year?

I have several cigars that have been in the coolidor fo around a year. I smoked one yesterday that I haven't even looked at in a year. It was a little soft but it smoked well. Should I have turned them or something to keep them from becoming soft. Next time I will dry box, but is there something i should be doing while they age?

Comments

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't believe that your storing them would make them spongy. It was probably just rolled to loose, now if it's a case of alot of your sticks being spongy I would guess your humidity is low. That would be my guess but I'm sure some of the guys with more expertise than me will chime in here.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Spongy usually is humidity being too high. Rotating cigars over time is good for air flow and eliminating stagnant air to help against mold but the humidity should be even throughout after a year. Either Rhamlin is correct and it was a loose roll or your hygro is off. You do have to re-calibrate them occasionally, especially if you're getting spongy cigars. I'd do the salt test again and double check the hygro and check other cigars in there and see if they are all spongy.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    There is a difference between pliable and spongy. There should be a little give to the cigar but not marshmellow like. Over humidified cigars will be spongy and often have a tight draw and bad burn. Since you say the draw was fine, over humidifacation is probably not the problem. Turning your cigars from time to time never hurts in the aging process.
    People enjoy their cigars in different conditions, try dry boxing the next one to see if it makes your cigar more to your liking.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool I just learned something, thanks for the input guys.