Home Cigar 101

punch or cut

twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
new botl just getting started and wonder what is better for flavor and draw to cut or punch?and how much to snip especially with th 60 size cigars
no matter where you go, there you are.

Comments

• MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Cut 1/16th inch, don't cut past the crown if you can help it, punches are easy for beginners and are used more often then you think! Check out 101 things by Sniper, should help and welcome aboard, look through the new threads also!!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    this thread currently exists on the front page of the general discussion section: CLICK
    a quick search will show a few more threads here are more: CLICK and CLICK and CLICK

a quick search will usually help find the basics around here. feel free to bring up even the oldest of posts... we dont mind. its usually fun to see what we used to use. (i used to use only a punch now i only cut)
  • I used to cut, but now I punch the majority of the time. My punch is on my keychain so I'm always ready should the opportunity for a good smoke arise.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    At home I usually cut, it makes for A better draw in most cases. When I'm in A vehicle I always punch simply because I keep A cigar punch on my keyring at all times. Either way will get the job done.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the punch, mainly because I like the feel of the cap better and no bits of tobacco sticking out. I need to find a bigger one though for the big gage sticks.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    V cut, straight cut and punch, depends on the mood and how the cigar performed the last time.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I want to get a punch and play around with it. Revisit the sticks I've had.
  • roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Dire, I have a punch that I am not using. nothing fancy, but if you want to pm me your addy I'll c if I can get it in the mail for ya.
    One God, One Truth
    You have been PM''d sir, and the offer is very much appreciated.
  • JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
    acewoodson:
    I used to cut, but now I punch the majority of the time. My punch is on my keychain so I'm always ready should the opportunity for a good smoke arise.
    You think like I do, Ace. I've got a punch on my keychain too. I like to use a punch on ring sizes under 46, and a cutter on all above that, as a general rule. With a punch, you have to be careful not to go too deep, or you can tear the hell out of the head, but it gives a very good draw if done properly.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I had only cut for many years, Then Kuzi sent me a xikar punch. I keep it in my car, and it is always close at hand so I have been using it most often now. I like the results of both but am starting to believe that the punch is a little more favored... as it eliminates many cutting errors and delivers a better draw for me.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I generally cut torpedoes(duh), but like to punch everything else. Well, I did until my punch was stolen along with my entire vehicle. One day I'll get around to getting a new one. On big gauge sticks I would double punch them with an overlap to make sort of a figure-8, worked pretty good for me. It boils down to personal preference and how the stick performs for you. Happy smoking, brother!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JDH:
    With a punch, you have to be careful not to go too deep, or you can tear the hell out of the head, but it gives a very good draw if done properly.

Hmmmm! That's unusual. I use a punch almost exclusively and always cut as deep as it will go and I have yet to damage the head of a cigar. I even use my punch on most figurados... unless they have some kind of novelty head like some pigtails, etc. What kind of a punch do you use?
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I exclusively cut. I've had bad luck with punches in the past, and frankly, it isn't worth the extra 3 seconds it saves me, if that.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    V-cut all the way this last month. Great draw, not too deep, not too shallow. When I punch, I find it's best to get the cap a bit wet and slowly turn the punch as i push. if it's dried out (sitting in my car) or not well made, or my punch is dull, the cap can come apart... so I mostly use it if I dont have my v-cut.
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    punch usually, as it is on my lighter. very handy
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    Started out with a guillotine and have now moved on to punches. Ive been looking for some unique ones but cant seem to find any that I want. Either way I like punches better now.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Never tried a punch. I've used a V cutter which are nice, they do give me issues on CAOs though, but mainly use my Xikar scissors.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I cut torps and stuff like that. I punch all others. Sometimes I'll use a cutter though... btw for some help early on, put the cutter on the table, then place the cigar (assuming it's a flat cap) through the cutter so it's on the surface of the table. That's about as far as you want to cut. Sometimes a little bit more but that's what I use to do till I got better at it.
  • twistedstemtwistedstem Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why thank you sir very much appreciate the offer ,just went out and purchased one myself. i find the punch much better
    no matter where you go, there you are.

• twistedstem:
    why thank you sir very much appreciate the offer ,just went out and purchased one myself. i find the punch much better
    Yeah, I prefer the punch myself.
    twistedstem:
    new botl just getting started and wonder what is better for flavor and draw to cut or punch?and how much to snip especially with th 60 size cigars

Something that helped me get a good cut when I was just starting out is to lay your cutter, if you have a double-blade style, on the table then put the head of the stick through the cutter and snip. Never let me down with a good draw unless the cigar had a pre-existing plug. Hope this helps.
    Ooops... Sorry, squirrel, didn't see your post before I opened my big yap. Forgive me?
  • As a noob I have been cutting with varying degrees of success, the punch makes it neater and easier for me. Plus my cheap guillotine has lost it's edge.
  • I've tried several size punches but none of them have done it for me.  I always cut and get a better draw every time.
    Used the punch that Roland had sent me. Punched a Davidoff Magnificos and had an awesome draw. Will punch a few sticks I have tried previously to see if I can tell a difference between the two.
  • deejmemixx:
    punch usually, as it is on my lighter. very handy
    Same here. Love my colibri lighter with built in punches.