Home Cigar 101

Caught my mold early.

I noticed a spike in my humidity and found small patches of mold on my sponge. I know you are shocked (he says sarcastically). I am ordering a drymistat tube and crystals. Is there any precautions I should take with my humi? I had the sponge separated from the cigars by the divider. Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    I have just been using two of the 2oz gel jars in my 100 count since I got it in about October and they've been doing great for me. I think I've had to put distilled water in them twice so far and the second time was a couple weeks ago. I didn't even know about beads until I joined here but like I said the gel jars have been perfect for me in the 100 count.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    What did your RH get up to?
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup, the disk and humidifiers that you add distilled water to end up molding, didndt take me long to figure it out long ago, i use the boveda paks now and replace evey 3-4 months
  • It hit 78 and that's when I checked it.
  • KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    id pull the sticks out, with with a soft cloth, and just wipe the humi down a tad with distilled water to make sure there are no spores lingering in there. I've yet to have an issue with mold, but time will tell.
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I use Drymistat tubes, and those things are the bees knees. It takes ZERO effort to maintain a constant RH.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    BEADS!!!!!

you need a 2 way media to regulate. Beads. End o' story.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was the fluffy white moldi doubt if there's any problem. When I was still using the foam pucks I was constantly wiping mold off them, when it turned black I yanked em out but that was as far as it got. But make sure you check all your sticks carefully. And especially any in tubes , coffins or cedar sleeves.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    If it was the fluffy white moldi doubt if there's any problem. When I was still using the foam pucks I was constantly wiping mold off them, when it turned black I yanked em out but that was as far as it got. But make sure you check all your sticks carefully. And especially any in tubes , coffins or cedar sleeves.
    +1. Just check your sticks. I'm sure you caught it in time. No need to do anything but replace your humidification. (I don't think adding more moisture by wiping the Humi down with Distilled would be a good idea imho).
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    oldsoulrevival:
    I use Drymistat tubes, and those things are the bees knees. It takes ZERO effort to maintain a constant RH.
    hmmm robbyras says bee knees as well.......r u brothers?
  • oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    oldsoulrevival:
    hmmm robbyras says bee knees as well.......r u brothers?
    Not that I know know of haha. Bees Knees is such a good phrase - people need to bring it back!
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Mold sucks. I had some coffin cigars have it, fixed with cello and stuff. Beads are the way to go btw. I've heard good things about gel too, never tried it though.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got a combination of gel and beads stays pretty much spot on at 67/68%
  • I got it wiped down and my humidity down to 70. My tubes will be here tomorrow so that should eliminate any further outbreaks. That's a relief. Thanks for all the advice guys.