Home Cigar 101

Seems impossible...

GrazuhGrazuh Posts: 164
I set up a humi-care xg1000 in my new cabinet humidor yesterday. Less than two hours later it was reading 69% humidity! I didn't believe it so I raised the level to 72%, and a few hours later I tested it with a digital hygrometer. It was only reading 2-3% lower. Is it possible for the rh to stabilize that quickly? It doesn't seem right. Everything I've read seems to indicate 5-7 days to season a tower humi. Any thoughts?

Comments

• jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    I would imagine it would be much quicker of a process with an active humidity source like that. Never used one so not sure but just think that with the unit pumping moisture directly into the air as opposed to slowly over time like beads or gel that it would be quicker.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    my first instincts tell me no, especially if the cabinet wasn't seasoned BUT...i've never had a cabinet or a humi-care xg1000.
  • AJGARLETTAJGARLETT Posts: 648
    One of two things:

1. The tower was sitting in a moist climate for awhile and the wood is full of moisture already, thus not needing any seasoning.

2. More than likely, the air is reading at 73% but the wood has not absorbed the moisture yet....you need to give it at least 3 days if not 5 or 7 depending on the size. Humidity in the air spikes way faster than the wood absorbs.
  • GrazuhGrazuh Posts: 164
    AJGARLETT:
    More than likely, the air is reading at 73% but the wood has not absorbed the moisture yet....you need to give it at least 3 days if not 5 or 7 depending on the size. Humidity in the air spikes way faster than the wood absorbs.
    This is kind of what I was thinking. To be on the safe side, I think I'm going to wait at least a week before I put anything in it.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Grazuh:
    AJGARLETT:
    More than likely, the air is reading at 73% but the wood has not absorbed the moisture yet....you need to give it at least 3 days if not 5 or 7 depending on the size. Humidity in the air spikes way faster than the wood absorbs.
    This is kind of what I was thinking. To be on the safe side, I think I'm going to wait at least a week before I put anything in it.
    Good thinking. If there is one thing I've learned over the years it's to never rush a seasoning. Good luck.
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Consider yourself lucky. Most of us have A much harder time getting everything just right. Still just to be safe waiting A week would be good insurance.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    AJGARLETT:
    One of two things:

1. The tower was sitting in a moist climate for awhile and the wood is full of moisture already, thus not needing any seasoning.

2. More than likely, the air is reading at 73% but the wood has not absorbed the moisture yet....you need to give it at least 3 days if not 5 or 7 depending on the size. Humidity in the air spikes way faster than the wood absorbs.
    this is exactly what i was thinking.